Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#921 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

Minister Stone to reveal McKenzie interchange design next week

Todd Stone, Minister of Transportation, is set to reveal the final design for the McKenzie interchange project next week. The chosen interchange design will be revealed during an announcement scheduled for 9AM on Tuesday morning at the legislature.

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#922 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Minister Stone to reveal McKenzie interchange design next week

Todd Stone, Minister of Transportation, is set to reveal the final design for the McKenzie interchange project next week. The chosen interchange design will be revealed during an announcement scheduled for 9AM on Tuesday morning at the legislature.

I bet its Option 2 - partial cloverleaf.

#923 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

I'll take that bet, said nobody ever.
  • Nparker and 57WestHills like this

#924 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

Whatever it is, there will be cries from the GVCC/GTCA/CARS that it doesn't have enough bike/walk/bus infrastructure...

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#925 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

Whatever it is, there will be cries from the GVCC/GTCA/CARS that it doesn't have enough bike/walk/bus infrastructure...

GT for sure but I don't think you'll hear that from the spandex.

#926 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

I'm actually pleased with the bike infra, even though it's not ideal.  As an area resident and parent I'm not happy with how much tree/green space will be lost, especially along the schools.  It will be considerable.  But my pitchfork will stay in the shed on this one.  I'm also not convinced the project will improve morning traffic coming into town, as Tillicum and Saanich Road cannot ever get the same treatment, and traffic already backs up at Glanford for the left turners who will be getting a nice 270 degree loop.

• 57WestHills likes this

#927 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

I'm really just terrified for my commute as this work happens. And concerned about the lack of McKenzie / Burnside plan from Saanich; but I've heard quiet whispers maybe something will happen there.

#928 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

There will be no burnside on ramp.

#929 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

Yeah I'm talking more about just the alignment / lane lines / light at Burnside

#930 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Two on ramps from McKenzie will help for sure.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#931 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

A roundabout with an internal transit hub and a rooftop Ferris wheel.

• Fairbanks likes this

#932 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

And a toll booth of course!
  • Bingo likes this

#933 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

I enjoyed the last line of the article

http://www.timescolo...hange-1.2239227

• rjag likes this

#934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

"He said his design would have similar results using less land with lower impacts on the neighbourhood, but acknowledged that the ministry has told him that his design won’t work."

From similar results to ...won't work. Hmm.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#935 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

"He said his design would have similar results using less land with lower impacts on the neighbourhood, but acknowledged that the ministry has told him that his design won’t work."

From similar results to ...won't work. Hmm.

Won't work politically for sure.  You can't put a light on the highway only travel for a new interchange.  But Wickson is probably right that southbound the interchange won't help as traffic will still clog up at Tillicum, and at Saanich Road, both of which could never get this sort of treatment.

#936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

For sure traffic will clog up there to some degree, but traffic trying to get onto McKenzie will remove a great deal of congestion, and who knows, maybe some commuters will even opt to change their commute by taking McKenzie.

You've got to start somewhere. You can't just be obtuse and pit yourself against a project because it's not perfect. I get the sense Wickson wants to run for council so his modus operandi is to seek as much attention doing whatever he can to keep his name in the paper.

Know it all.

#937 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:37 AM

Whatever design was picked it's not going to be perfect.  There is just too much going on at this one location.  Park, transit, Goose.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#938 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

McKenzie already backs up at Glanford, so pounding cars through the partial cloverleaf will only get them to that lineup faster.

#939 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

Option 2 confirmed: https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0079-000647

#940 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

I get the sense Wickson wants to run for council so his modus operandi is to seek as much attention doing whatever he can to keep his name in the paper.

Again? 

"He called the walking and cycling components of the both options “a terrible disaster,” estimating the overpass for the Galloping Goose trail at double its current length. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.XOQyNEne.dpuf"

30 years ago today, reactor 4 at Chernobyl blew up.  That was a terrible disaster.  This is someone complaining that the bike lane isn't wide enough...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users