Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#941 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

Again? 

"He called the walking and cycling components of the both options “a terrible disaster,” estimating the overpass for the Galloping Goose trail at double its current length. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.XOQyNEne.dpuf"

30 years ago today, reactor 4 at Chernobyl blew up.  That was a terrible disaster.  This is someone complaining that the bike lane isn't wide enough...

We can always pick and choose details that suit our purpose.  Yes the Goose is longer.  But, people biking will also never have to stop there again, or worry about getting hit.  We can also piss off one or both of the overpasses on all the single occupancy vehicles we've come to hate through our two-wheeled travels.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#942 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

26055427754_3044eb6297_z.jpg

Squeezed myself into this photo.

• Nparker and 57WestHills like this

#943 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

^ are you wearing the famous Mayor Screech sweater vest?

• Nparker likes this

#944 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

Yeah I didn't think it was a good idea to wear my Phillips Bottle Rocket cycling jersey.
  • rjag and Coreyburger like this

#945 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

Whatever design was picked it's not going to be perfect.  There is just too much going on at this one location.  Park, transit, Goose.

Can't we squeeze a sewage treatment plant in there too?

• Nparker and 57WestHills like this

#946 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

... Really what else will be in that cloverleaf? Finally a suggestion that speaks to the public interest :P

#947 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Todd Stone figures that the overpass will save the average commuter 22 minutes. Does he mean per year?!

• Nparker likes this

#948 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Construction will begin this fall on a partial cloverleaf interchange expected to improve safety and reduce congestion at McKenzie Avenue and the Trans-Canada Highway, Transportation Minister Todd Stone announced Tuesday.

The $85-million project, which is slated for completion in late 2018, also includes bus lanes, transit priority signals and better connections to bus stops.

The design also includes a corridor on the north side of the Trans-Canada that could accommodate light rail transit at some point in the future.

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QP1C7Aaq.dpuf

Two years or construction chaos eh?

And another "on time and on budget project"

#949 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

The design also includes a corridor on the north side of the Trans-Canada that could accommodate light rail transit at some point in the future.

Is that the same LRT that will some day come across the reserved rail right-of-way adjacent to the new JSB?

#950 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

Is that the same LRT that will some day come across the reserved rail right-of-way adjacent to the new JSB?

It will come across the present day road bridge that is going to be left in place for ten years as a backup, while the new bridge works out the kinks.

#951 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Two years or construction chaos eh?
And another "on time and on budget project"

You saw that good story too eh?

Actually I'm sure this one will come in on time and on budget. There's no moving parts. It's all pretty easy to estimate and a lot of the construction period is preloading anyway so I don't see any issues.

#952 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

You saw that good story too eh?

Actually I'm sure this one will come in on time and on budget. There's no moving parts. It's all pretty easy to estimate and a lot of the construction period is preloading anyway so I don't see any issues.

What about the chaos, no issues there either?

#953 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

Todd Stone figures that the overpass will save the average commuter 22 minutes. Does he mean per year?!

I could see it easily being per day (11 minutes each way)

#954 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Chaos?

#955 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

I could see it easily being per day (11 minutes each way)

More like 22 and zero. I don't see how you save any time when you have to go through Tillicum next.

#956 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

True.. the entire back up will just be there through to the new overpass now
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#957 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

Someone made a really funny comment on Facebook about how some lucky people now get shade under the overpass while they wait for the Tillicum light.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#958 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

people travelling from N. and C. Saanich will get to Costco quicker.

• lanforod likes this

#959 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

More like 22 and zero. I don't see how you save any time when you have to go through Tillicum next.

Yup. As I commented earlier on this thread a couple of months ago while I am pleased McKenzie is at long last being addressed the pain unfortunately will simply be moved a couple hundred meters down the TC to Tillicum where its already a s*** show most days at rush hour especially since they upgraded that portion of Tillicum between Carey Road and the highway. Sometimes getting around or through that entire Tillicum-Harriett-Burnside-TCHwy-McKenzie area via automobile feels like being in prison. When I can get from Kitsilano to South Burnaby, almost to the New West border, in the same time it takes me to get to McKenzie-Shelbourne from Craigflower/Tillicum, then something doesn't add up IMO.

I won't hijack the thread pleading for some form of regional government since we all know that is as likely to materialize in Dysfunction by the Sea as it is that the alien overlords land on my sun-deck in the next 5 minutes in time for some BBQ, but somehow we have to get to a point where a variant of actual honest to goodness regional planning happens for transportation (among other critical issues). Doing it piecemeal for a region now approaching 400K population just doesn't cut it.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 26 April 2016 - 05:13 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#960 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

But all the McKenzie traffic/volume gets out of your way faster inbound.  Ya, once you pass the new intersection, no savings in time, but hopefully you get to there quicker.   

• 57WestHills likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users