Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#961 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:56 PM

screenshot-www.cheknews.ca 2016-04-26 18-54-08.jpeg

The old partial Cloverfield eh...

how-are-10-cloverfield-lane-and-cloverfi

• Nparker, sebberry and Dr. Barillas like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#962 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

Stone said the selected design was the preferred option of 75 per cent of the people who took part in public consultations.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.ke2CzIlp.dpuf

The Province said it was preferred by two thirds of people participating in the the public consultation.

http://www.cheknews....saanich-168645/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#963 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Stone said the selected design was the preferred option of 75 per cent of the people...The Province said it was preferred by two thirds of people...

Just be thankful Todd Stone isn't the Minister of Finance.

#964 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

I don't believe the consultation PR releases after Massey.

#965 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

It will certainly save commuters to and from UVic a lot of time.

#966 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

The old partial Cloverfield eh...

post-5-0-21283500-1461722136.jpeg

Best typo in CHEK's history?

#967 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

It will certainly save commuters to and from UVic a lot of time.

And that direction(s) might be the only areas of significant traffic growth anyway.  I'm sure that 15 years from now, we won't have an extra 10,000 commuting to downtown to work 9-5.  In fact I don't know why so many have to go to UVic.  I have a girlfriend that is completing her degree at Royal Roads this year, she never goes to campus, it's all done online (environmental science).

#968 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

UVic grew a bit this year but doesn't have any desire to grow much more. It's a good size now.
I can see more jobs in the area though, particularly if the shelbourne corridor can densify more.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#969 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

Students still learn better in person. There will be a place for in person classrooms for a long time yet.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#970 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

post-5-0-21283500-1461722136.jpeg

Best typo in CHEK's history?

Its probably an auto correction not a typo . We see it all the time here on this site if you type without looking at the auto corrections this is what happens

Edited by HB, 26 April 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#971 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

Its probably an auto correction not a typo . We see it all the time here on this site if you type without looking at the auto corrections this is what happens

Auto-correct to cloverfield?  That's not a name for anything but a movie, sure it's not in the auto-correct dictionary.

• Nparker likes this

#972 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

Just be thankful Todd Stone isn't the Minister of Finance.

The Ministry of Persnickety Percentages...maybe

#973 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

Actually an intelligent opinion piece from the TC today:

http://www.timescolo...crawl-1.2240410

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#974 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

The Transportation Minister says every effort will be made to minimize traffic disruption when work starts on the new McKenzie interchange...but there will be some inconvenience.

The first element of the project will be the new Galloping Goose Trail bridge, so trail users will have the benefit of the added safety well before the main interchange is completed. 

http://www.cfax1070....-new-interchang

#975 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Yes the project team wants the Goose out of the way so they can work on the ramps. So the goose has to go first. They have committed to ensuring the goose is open through construction.

#976 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

Morning before and after simulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsL5emWtg5Q&feature=youtu.be

Afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhx3gZ7xNoU&feature=youtu.be

#977 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Yes the project team wants the Goose out of the way so they can work on the ramps. So the goose has to go first. They have committed to ensuring the goose is open through construction.

That should alleviate traffic on the crawl.

#978 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

Saanich council calls for changes to McKenzie interchange

Saanich council is asking the province to put the brakes on its partial cloverleaf plan for the McKenzie Interchange due to the design’s damaging effect on nearby Cuthbert Holmes Park.

Council passed a much-amended motion moved by Coun. Vic Derman by a vote of six to three early Tuesday morning, having heard from many residents how much they feared for the future of the park once the cloverleaf carves off 1.4 hectares of park space.

Bill Williamson told council that he was initially pleased with the interchange to address traffic problems until he realized the province was “going to pave the park … for the benefit of a few people who live miles away.”

See, that's the problem with our region when it comes to projects to serve the whole area. Guys like Williamson make it "a few people that live miles away". He does not realize that the person living in Oak Bay that hires a fencing company based in Colwood to do their work, pays for the highway inefficiency in higher rates for his fence work.

I hope the province has some backbone and just says, no, this is regional and 75% of the people wanted this.  I wonder if the province tracked the residency of the voters.

Anyway, what percentage of the park is lost?  

Julian Anderson told council he was “gutted” when he heard the cloverleaf option had been selected. “Cuthbert Holmes is a gem and it’s extremely short sighted to be chipping away at it.” He fears that great blue heron and salmon runs will be taken for granted until it’s too late for future generations.

“Once the damage is done, it’s irreversible,” said Corinne Besler, who predicted that migratory birds might never return after construction in the park.

Come on, people, give it a rest.  The extreme environmental concerns and mitigations during construction are very impressive (and expensive).  The remaining park will be great.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#979 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

There is a lot of frustration about the footprint of this project.  It's taking green space away from the park, two schools, all along McKenzie and 4 houses will be taken out.  Tons of oaks, including many on school property.  The Goose is going to suck after it's done, because we're going to be staring at a 10 foot high wall instead of the nice greenery.  Most people agree there will be a short term benefit for outbound travel, but ask people in the know about inbound, and people don't think this will help at all.  It will get you to queues at Glanford and at Tillicum faster, where you will still have to wait.  This will encourage more rat-running down side roads, leading to more infra changes to prevent these actions.  None of this sells politically though.  Better to make people happy even if you're building an interchange that doesn't get you there faster.

Edited by nagel, 10 May 2016 - 06:50 AM.

#980 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

....in the know about inbound, and people don't think this will help at all.  It will get you to queues at Glanford and at Tillicum faster, where you will still have to wait.  This will encourage more rat-running down side roads, leading to more infra changes to prevent these actions.  None of this sells politically though.  Better to make people happy even if you're building an interchange that doesn't get you there faster.

I think that the inbound headed for McKenzie/Pat Bay is well-served by this.  Let's face it, any major increase in traffic over the next decade will be from Westhsore to Saanich/Peninsula, not from Westshore to downtown.  There are no more jobs being created downtown.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users