[Vic West] The Wing rental | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

It can't be occupied as the City has condemned the building.

The building was recently sold by the bank to a group of Victoria and Vancouver developers.

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Oh thank god something's happening here.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

It can't be occupied as the City has condemned the building.

Are you certain about that? I know rumours were flying that it was condemned and uninhabitable. Others said that was a smear to discredit the developer and drop the price.

Anyway, I'm happy about this.

#24 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

I'm 99% sure, but I haven't spoken to the city to confirm

#25 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

I saw that the gate was open today and that there were a number of suits wlking around there.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

^I hear they're not just tire-kickers.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

As I said earlier, the site was recently sold so those were likely the new owners trying to figure out what to do with a pile of junk

#28 collywobbles

collywobbles
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

From Monday (though I don't understand why they write the last paragraph as if it would possibly be a bad thing if the tax holiday is helping this along):

The Wing may soar again

A Vic West eyesore could be on the verge of a significant makeover if a deal can be finalized between a B.C.-based developer and the property’s current mortgage holder.

The Wing condominium complex on Wilson Street was supposed to become a 99-unit development when construction began in early 2004, but by November of that year, progress had stalled and a half-built, four-storey, 51-unit shell adjacent to the concrete foundation of what was going to be the project’s second phase, has sat vacant and weather-beaten ever since.

But a representative from the Townline Group tells Monday they’ve put a preliminary offer on the table. “We have an agreement with the vendor, which in this case is the lender that’s holding it, to purchase it subject to going through some due diligence and making sure that we can make the contract work,” says Townline’s director of residential development, Bob Pearce. “And we will close the contract in due course.”

Pearce says his company is working in concert with BC Housing to find a mutually beneficial way to revive the project as rental housing.

“Everybody’s interested in having something like that happen, and it just seems that with an existing structure in an area that’s so convenient to everything, that if there’s a way we can make that work in an environment that works, within the context of what BC Housing’s trying to do, that’s our objective.”

Pearce says the deal is contingent on rehabilitating the present structure—which rumours held was structurally unsound.

Curious, wethinks, that this pending rental construction should come at precisely the same time the City of Victoria announced a 10-year tax holiday for developers building rental housing for families with incomes between $30,000 and $60,000 during 2009-10. Coincidence? Doubtful.

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

It's bad if developers aren't building rental units and it's also bad if developers are building rental units. Developers are bad.

Sort of like it's bad if real estate prices go up and it's also bad if real estate prices go down.

It's bad if a lot of construction is happening in Victoria and it's also bad if a lot of construction isn't happening in Victoria.

Everything is bad.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

It's like they invented a robot to write Monday articles and it's programmed to put a negative spin on every story. Why would anyone put a snarky angle on that story?

"My concern with Monday is that it hasn't grown up," Miller says. "It's a bunch of discontented shitheads, little snot-nosed fourth-year journalism students with bad attitudes tooting the same damn horn that I was 20 years ago."
-Gene Miller, 1994

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

So effing true.

#32 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

^ Totally. I think Monday Magazine kills trees and is a waste of time.

Lately, every time I read Threlfall's editorials, I feel like banging my head against the wall. It's a truly moronic paper.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

^ Totally. I think Monday Magazine kills trees and is a waste of time.

Lately, every time I read Threlfall's editorials, I feel like banging my head against the wall. It's a truly moronic paper.

It is, and I agree with all the last 6 or so comments, esp. re greedy, rich developers, but God damn it, I gotta read the thing every week, I never miss an issue.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Archived version of the original Wing site. Check out those vintage prices!

#35 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

^ I love how the site shows no pictures of the building because we all know how ****ing ugly it is. Even when you click on "Building-exterior", they seem to show pictures of everything but the building's exterior! Like us, those realtors know a mutt when they see one.

So effing true.

I agree, what he said is so ****ing true. I like Gene Miller because he is one of those all-too-rare real liberals who has changed his views a lot over the years, proving he is open to new ideas. As he said, a lot of Monday writers are just young people filled with the rage of youth and nary a clear thought in their heads.

Now back to the topic, I can't believe the city has condemned the wing. From the street it looks fine and the Ryugyong hotel stayed unfinished a lot longer than the wing yet it is getting finished now.
In chains by Keynes

#36 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Now back to the topic, I can't believe the city has condemned the wing. From the street it looks fine and the Ryugyong hotel stayed unfinished a lot longer than the wing yet it is getting finished now.

At least you made me chuckle this morning Phil! - From the street a lot of buildings look fine, but inside or structurally there are a lot of issues with them. I don't think, at least we haven't seen anyone on this site who has an intimate knowledge of any of the issues the Wing might be facing to garner a condemned status but to compare it to the Ryugyong Hotel is pure farce. The Ryugyong Hotel is stuck in a third world country, run my a psychotic little NK Dictator, I don't particularly think that the structural soundness of the building would be of a major concern to him, with them cladding it, and his "re-election" are just factors that are posing him for his comeback. Now if you want to look at a building in a Developed country that is sitting there, take the Waterview in Chicago, there are already people voicing concerns about structural issues that may arise from the structure sitting open to the elements and that has barely been sitting for a year

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

^Well the city doesn't agree.
Condo to turn into rentals
Half the suites set aside as lower-cost
By Richard Watts, Times ColonistApril 10, 2009

Government assistance will help turn an empty Vic West condominium development into rental housing, half of it designated affordable.

The building, called the Wing Building at 105 Wilson St., was foreclosed before completion and has sat empty, incomplete and abandoned since 2005. It's now scheduled to be *finished by December, with 51 units available for rent.

*Say what??

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

^Well the city doesn't agree.
Condo to turn into rentals
Half the suites set aside as lower-cost
By Richard Watts, Times ColonistApril 10, 2009

*Say what??

Seems I was confused. (Go figure) I forgot about the existing built building. I was thinking only of the building with only its foundations.

#39 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

I should clarify, I was just going on what someone else had posted, the building being condemned and Phil's comparison.

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

I don't think that Monday Magazine has ever pretended to be anything but left wing. Don't read it if you don't like the opinions.

As far as the Wing is concerned it is a pretty sweet deal for Townline. They get $800K in grants from Government plus a 10 year tax holiday and a mortgage from the Province that you can bet is foreclosure proof and in a couple of years will be discounted or forgiven.

The city doesn't have a shortage of rental accomodation, it has a shortage of "affordable" rental accomodation. I am not sure that $1,200 a month for a 3 bedroom unit is any more affordable than anything else you will find on craiglist in the same price range.

In my opinion the City of Victoria, given that it already is talking about a 5-7% tax increase this year, has better use for $500K and tax holidays.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)