Victoria hotel thread

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

A CFAX radio ad for Tourism Victoria says "tourism is expected to double by 2030".

Bourree said this just this week:

Hospitality industry consultant Frank Bourree, principal of Chemistry Consulting, said the property plays a big role on the Inner Harbour as the city has been bleeding hotel rooms for a decade. Bourree said 17 hotels, representing a loss of 1,100 rooms, have closed since 2007.

“That’s more than 10 per cent of the inventory,” he said, noting the losses are being felt right when tourism is on the upswing.

Councillors said this in September:

Coun. Ben Isitt said that given the housing crisis, the units are needed for housing.

“These buildings were built, approved in this chamber, with people believing they were going to be ordinary residential condominium buildings, and now we’ve found these buildings have evolved into something very different,” he said, adding council has also heard about the negative impacts on some people living in those buildings.

Young said he has approved construction of many condo buildings over the years. “I can tell you that during all those years, I thought I was approving places for people to live, not hotel rooms.”

Coun. Jeremy Loveday said the zoning change is a small piece of the puzzle in solving the housing crisis.

Only Coun. Marianne Alto was opposed. “I remain unconvinced that this very broad, heavy brush is the right way to achieve the goals that we’ve all set out,” she said. “I think there is a bit more nuance required, so I will not be supporting this, this evening.”

http://www.timescolo...owed-1.22921842

Pretty sure tourism can not double in just 12 years with the capacity we have now, or the lower capacity council hopes for.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 October 2017 - 08:29 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Six million visitors per year? BC Ferries can't even keep up with current demand, and YYJ is near capacity as well with even more concentration of direct flights into Seattle and Vancouver over Victoria.

Something doesn't add up here, but then we do see these major claims a decade+ out which will stop running in a year after some sort of a reaction has been achieved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

On the Air BnB file, didn't Nursey also say we were at peak tourism or something?

It should be noted that the double comment is in a radio ad trying to sell TV memberships.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

Trouble on the Malahat:

No room at the inn. Moon Water Lodge claims Expedia listed 'rooms unavailable' for 2 years | CBC News

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

^No problem, lots of room at the Crystal Court Motel.

http://www.weblocal....ictoria-bc.html

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

You know, 99.7%* of other hotels have learned to deal with the reality of Expedia etc.  Not sure why they thought they were so special.

*usual

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

"The Strandlunds believe they're the latest victims of an online issue that landed Expedia in trouble in France and is the subject of a potential class action lawsuit in the U.S. — the travel site allegedly posting hotels that aren't its clients, listing them as "unavailable," then re-directing customers to member properties that pay Expedia a booking fee.

Oh I can see this blowing up, alright. If Expedia is indeed listing hotel properties which it does not represent, but then goes on to identify those properties as "booked up," that's damaging.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Oh I can see this blowing up, alright. If Expedia is indeed listing hotel properties which it does not represent, but then goes on to identify those properties as "booked up," that's damaging.

Except there is no indication at all the issue is widespread.  The "potential class action" in the US is headed by a tiny mom-and-pop motel.   

The Buckeye Tree Lodge, a 12-room hotel near Sequoia National Park

http://www.travelmol...news_id=2023457

The tiny 11-room Buckeye Tree Lodge and sister property, the 10-room Sequoia Village Inn, both in California, are the only properties named in the class action law suit.

Neither have any relationship with Expedia, but they claim their rooms are advertised by Expedia-owned sites in what has been described a 'brazen' bait and switch scheme.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

I would imagine the issue is not widespread simply because many/most hotels allow Expedia to list their rooms. But those that don't no doubt fall victim to this practice.

Which reminds me, I once saw this exact scenario. I called the hotel and booked a room direct over the phone, despite it being "booked up." Was it the same thing the Moon folks are dealing with? Maybe.

Know it all.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Which reminds me, I once saw this exact scenario. I called the hotel and booked a room direct over the phone, despite it being "booked up." Was it the same thing the Moon folks are dealing with? Maybe.

Expedia takes 25% off the rack rate anyway, you should always try to book a hotel direct after seeing the Expedia rate, you might get another 15 or 25% off if you are a decent negotiator and the hotel has space.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 09:06 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hmmm...

Know it all.

#32 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

I use booking search sites (Expedia, Kayak, etc.) to find out about the existence of hotels, then I look for the hotel's own website.  Even if a booking site is advertising a specific low price booking direct is usually the same or not much more.  I find that booking through a third party often results in third party treatment, at least in flexibility - "Sorry, we can't do _____ for rooms booked through a third party."

But you have to be careful - there are booking sites that really, really try to look like the official site for a hotel/hotel corporation.

• Nparker likes this

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:22 AM

ramada on gorge getting terrible reviews

https://www.tripadvi...ver_Island.html

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

To say the least. Why don't these properties get redeveloped? They must be worth something by now.

#35 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

It really feels like hotels in Victoria are either amazing or awful. Where are the normal, average hotels? We have maybe 1 or 2
  • jonny likes this

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

To say the least. Why don't these properties get redeveloped? They must be worth something by now.

it's hard to know how ramada hq could let that go on.  no doubt they know they probably have an entire department dealing with crappy franchisees

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#37 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

I know someone who works there (or at least did) - when I next see them I'll check in to see what is going on.  

Wish that the comments didn't blame management - likely ownership is the issue and insufficient funds have been provided to run the place.

That said, from the comments it sounds as though (i) the housekeeping crew is severely understaffed; and  (b) they don't care about ratings, leading me to think that (iii) some sort of change or development may be imminent (i.e. after this tourist season which ownership can milk for profits).

Edited by manuel, 20 August 2018 - 10:34 AM.

"I know nothing"

#38 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

I know the upstairs comedy room shut down a couple of months ago (end of June, I think), and for the last few months, the comedians who ran the events there didn't know from week to week if they still had the space because the hotel wasn't telling them anything. Last time I went the whole drink menu was unavailable, aside from a few bottles. Food came from the Hecklers kitchen downstairs and was still tasty. They've always had some of the best wings in town.

#39 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

Maybe the provincial government is going to buy it to house junkies!

#40 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

Rita Roy had here Ramada flag pulled for his horrible she ran the place on Belleville
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users