• Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:18 AM

That's awesome!

Wait'll they see the rental cars!

images_product-gallery_K613_36973-SEIV61

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 Klapecki

Klapecki
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:43 AM

Dang that’s a nice truck. Sign me up. That thing would crush logging roads

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:55 AM

It actually is a very nice truck!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:16 PM

I really like the truck.

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:47 PM

$1,000 as a signing bonus at the Empress, but check this:

Hunter’s Restaurant at Huntingdon Manor Hotel is currently seeking a full and part time line cooks to join its team.. All shifts are AM shifts.

We are pleased to offer eligible staff a comprehensive benefits package, complimentary meal plan, “Stay and Work” program with complimentary accommodation, family & friends discounts, and a fun and supportive environment to work in. Only applicant who are legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#146 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:24 PM

$1,000 as a signing bonus at the Empress, but check this:

Hunter’s Restaurant at Huntingdon Manor Hotel is currently seeking a full and part time line cooks to join its team.. All shifts are AM shifts.

We are pleased to offer eligible staff a comprehensive benefits package, complimentary meal plan, “Stay and Work” program with complimentary accommodation, family & friends discounts, and a fun and supportive environment to work in. Only applicant who are legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered.

I'm not sure you are praising this or dissing this. But isn't free food a given in the restaurant industry?

• Matt R. likes this

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:32 PM

I’m praising it. But more for the free lodging.
  • Redd42 likes this

Know it all.

#148 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:16 PM

I'm not sure you are praising this or dissing this. But isn't free food a given in the restaurant industry?

Back of house usually gets a shift meal, perhaps a limited menu selection, it’s not as common for front of house to get the same perk. More common is an on shift discount, sometimes a pretty deep one. I have seen more spots giving everyone a free staff meal just to sweeten the deal a little, but it was usually meant to narrow the monetary gap between front and back.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 26,568 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:26 AM

"stay and work" sounds fun for that place.  

#150 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:32 AM

"stay and work" sounds fun for that place.  

Imagine you're a homeless person with their act together. You tell them you don't have a lot of experience but you're committed and willing to learn. You live there and save a ton of money. In one year you're in an amazing financial position. 

When will we admit homelessness is not only about a lack of housing. It's about people crippled by drugs, mental illness and abuse who lack the ability to pull themselves out of the hole they're in.

• LJ, Matt R., Redd42 and 2 others like this

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 26,568 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:39 AM

Imagine you're a homeless person with their act together. You tell them you don't have a lot of experience but you're committed and willing to learn. You live there and save a ton of money. In one year you're in an amazing financial position. 

When will we admit homelessness is not only about a lack of housing. It's about people crippled by drugs, mental illness and abuse who lack the ability to pull themselves out of the hole they're in.

it's deeper than that though.

i have said this elsewhere on this forum.

have you ever had a friend or family member that went waaaay off the deep end on drugs/alcohol?  would you or another family member or friend take them in?  probably.  even if they were penniless and down to their last pair of pants and shirt.  would they turn around in 6 months?  maybe.  but probably not.  would someone take them in the next time?  lesser and lesser chance each time.

the typical homeless person has burned every single bridge badly.  

maybe 1 out of 100 or out of 500 would recover and thrive in the scenario you posit above.

• Barrrister likes this

#152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:55 AM

That's kind of what I'm saying. We keep getting sold this idea that homeless are just guys down on their luck that can't find an apartment. Any article, political initiative or fund-raising plan downplays the mental/physical dysfunction they suffer. 

$24,000 a year plus free accommodation. But the jobs are unfilled because there are too many people whose potential has been crushed by drugs and mental illness. 

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#153 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

A rendering of UVic Properties' and Chard Development's 135-room hotel envisioned for the 1300-block of Broad Street in downtown Victoria's Old Town. The $50-plus million investment is viewed by downtown Victoria's business community as a catalyst for post-pandemic economic resilience.

$50 million, 135-room Broad Street hotel proposal seen as economic catalyst for downtown Victoria
https://victoria.cit...ntown-victoria/

Attached Images

• $50-million,-135-room-Broad-Street-hotel-proposal-seen-as-economic-catalyst-for-downtown-Victoria.jpg

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users