Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3334 replies to this topic

#121 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

It sure didn't sound reasonable on the video, that's for sure. Police are granted the right to use force when necessary and by and large its a good thing otherwise we'd all be at the mercy of thugs. But the use of force has to be appropriate and not simply an outlet for Rambo fantasies.

#122 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Imagine how Yao Wei Wu must have felt after being woke up at 2:00 AM by two plain clothed policemen in Vancouver and had the crap beat out of him.

If I remember correctly the excuse was "wrong address."

I agree with Sebberry, punishment needs to be administered by a judge, not a posse.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Nanaimo RCMP officer in trouble over questionable Facebook posts
BY Danielle Bell, Nanaimo Daily News
http://www.vancouver...5573/story.html

A Nanaimo RCMP officer may face disciplinary action because of comments he posted on his public Facebook page that the force calls "troubling."

The online social networking site of a Nanaimo RCMP constable is being reviewed by an RCMP professional standards unit. The Facebook musings of the Mountie, 26, could also trigger an internal RCMP code of conduct investigation, but police officials said it is too early to speculate. [...]

Here are two of the officer's Facebook comments:

1) "Night shift and St. Paddy's Day, can't wait to drop kick all the drunk idiots"

2) "Bar watch shift tonight, I'm gonna catch me a ginger"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Here are two of the officer's Facebook comments:

1) "Night shift and St. Paddy's Day, can't wait to drop kick all the drunk idiots"

2) "Bar watch shift tonight, I'm gonna catch me a ginger"

Also this one:

"How come every chick I arrest lately refuses to put clothes on and they're the ones you never want to see naked."

He should be paired up with officer Yellowjacket for bunny round-up duties :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#125 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

Second man suing Victoria police over kicking incident caught on YouTube video

This is the kid that I heard/read was playing the race card.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0jRMdGx6u

I'm curious how many Victorians of minority race you have suggested this scenario to.
I wonder what they would say. I wonder what their experiences with law enforcement have been.
Racism is alive and well I assure you.

#126 Sanjeet

Sanjeet
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

I'm curious how many Victorians of minority race you have suggested this scenario to.
I wonder what they would say. I wonder what their experiences with law enforcement have been.

Being an Indo-Canadian I'll post my thoughts/experiences. What we experience to be racism, isn't considered racism to a police officer. I can recount numerous times being pulled over only because I "fit a profile". Never ticketed after having license and plates checked. One cop refused to believe I was a student at UVic. It happens. How often have I encountered racism...only once in a while but it is still happening. Definitely on airports. You should see the stares when I get pulled to the side for a "random" search.

#127 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:31 AM

No matter the final outcome of this matter, it is important for people to be aware of how to conduct themselves when dealing with the police. To that end, there is a presentation that includes an entertaining and valuable new film called "10 Rules For Dealing With Police". You can watch it
here.

#128 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

I always do as asked if pulled over. I'm polite and never confrontational with police.
But these days that doesn't seem to guarantee I won't get kicked in the nuts.

#129 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Being an Indo-Canadian I'll post my thoughts/experiences. What we experience to be racism, isn't considered racism to a police officer. I can recount numerous times being pulled over only because I "fit a profile". Never ticketed after having license and plates checked. One cop refused to believe I was a student at UVic. It happens. How often have I encountered racism...only once in a while but it is still happening. Definitely on airports. You should see the stares when I get pulled to the side for a "random" search.

Makes you feel welcome doesn't it? :(
White folks can't imagine what that crap feels like so its easy to pretend its not there.

#130 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I can't imagine asians at uvic, i just can't. Wait what, has that cop ever been to uvic?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#131 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

I can't imagine asians at uvic, i just can't. Wait what, has that cop ever been to uvic?

Apparantly not, there are still bunnies hopping all over the place :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

I think it's easy to think these things are happening because of race, but I am Caucasian and happen to be "randomly selected" for searches when I enter the United States and or when I return to Canada. This happens with so much frequency that it's become routine for me to expect a pat down and to have my baggage and the baggage of those traveling with me to be searched.

I've had odd experiences with police, too, which just makes me realize that being hassled when pulled over at check stops is probably more commonplace than many of us realize. I think police want to push and pull some individuals throughout a short conversation in the event you start to crack.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

No matter the final outcome of this matter, it is important for people to be aware of how to conduct themselves when dealing with the police. To that end, there is a presentation that includes an entertaining and valuable new film called "10 Rules For Dealing With Police". You can watch it
here.

While helpful in a philosophical sense, it's important to bear in mind that this was written by and for Americans, not Canadians. The American constitution differs from the Canadian charter.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#134 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

He didn't seem too worried about getting his ass kicked when he voluntarily entered into the fray with the other individuals of other races. Would he have been traumatized then, or is it just the fact he got ass kicked by an entity that has deep pockets causing all his anguish?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#135 Sanjeet

Sanjeet
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

I think it's easy to think these things are happening because of race, but I am Caucasian and happen to be "randomly selected" for searches when I enter the United States and or when I return to Canada. This happens with so much frequency that it's become routine for me to expect a pat down and to have my baggage and the baggage of those traveling with me to be searched.

I've had odd experiences with police, too, which just makes me realize that being hassled when pulled over at check stops is probably more commonplace than many of us realize. I think police want to push and pull some individuals throughout a short conversation in the event you start to crack.

Oh fair enough I mean Im not trying to say that all my stops with the police have been because of race but I feel some have.

And to your random searching at the airport when travelling to the US, I understand anyone should expect that but I mean I was flying from Victoria to Vancouver and the way I was treated didn't seem too random to me. I was on my way out the door having given my boarding pass to the lady and as I stepped out the door I was grabbed and told to stay back. Then the random search began. That happened twice.

#136 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

here.

Very interesting info in the later half of that video that talks about race, etc... Worth a watch if you have the time.

#137 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

VICTORIA POLICE EXPRESS FRUSTRATION REGARDING YET ANOTHER DRUNKEN BRAWL
CFAX Mar 30, 2010
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12998

POLICE SERGEANT GRANT HAMILTON DIDN'T TRY VERY HARD TO CONCEAL HIS ANNOYANCE AT THE CIRCUMSTANCES DURING A NEWS CONFERENCE TUESDAY

"several of our officers responded. They found a victim unconscious on the ground. They detained several people, but none of them would cooperate. They would only confirm that they had been drinking downtown at a nightclub, but stated they couldn't remember what happened afterwards. The victim was treated in hopsital and released, he would not cooperate either"

[...]

#138 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

VICTORIA POLICE EXPRESS FRUSTRATION REGARDING YET ANOTHER DRUNKEN BRAWL
CFAX Mar 30, 2010
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12998

MEANWHILE VICTORIA POLCIE CHIEF JAMIE GRAHAM MAINTAINS THERE IS A DRINKING PROBLEM IN VICTORIA AMONG YOUNG ADULTS

[...]

Lower the drinking age to 16-supervised. That is, anyone between 16 and 19 need parental supervision while drinking in public places such as restaurants, pubs, etc... so they can learn what responsible social drinking is all about.

We don't have a drinking problem, we have a problem with drinking.

#139 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

^ Exactly. Great suggestion actually.

#140 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Purely anecdotal evidence, but everyone I knew who grew up being allowed to drink a little as kids (a half glass of wine or sips as kids during special dinners), and had parents responsibly boot for them as teens, all grew up to more or less grow out of drinking beyond the odd social occasion. The ones who had to "go underground" with their teen drinking would binge and things often got ugly. I agree with the thinking that initial drinking habits and attitudes really stick with us.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users