Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3315 replies to this topic

#1621 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:45 PM

^ Note to pedestrians….don’t walk on the roadway. There are cars there.
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

#1622 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:22 PM

Gun call at Sidney restaurant a mistake: RCMP

Bystander reported they saw a man holding a gun during an argument

Jul. 27, 2021

A report of a man holding a gun during an argument in downtown Sidney Monday morning amounted to nothing after police determined there was in fact no gun.

Sidney/North Saanich RCMP officers were called to a restaurant in the 2500-block of Beacon Avenue shortly after 10 a.m. July 26 for a bystander report of two men arguing, with one in possession of a gun.

Morehttps://www.vicnews....a-mistake-rcmp/

#1623 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:30 PM

that seems like a slow new day. but I guess it’s filler all the same.

#1624 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:39 PM

-Burkett was also stationed at Duncan and Ahousat.

Kelowna cop who sexually harassed women involved in his cases avoids jail time

Brian Burkett pleaded guilty to one count of breach of trust for sexually harassing seven women

July 27, 2021 

A former Kelowna Mountie will spend nine months on house arrest after pleading guilty to one count of breach of trust for sexually harassing seven women involved in his cases.

Brian Burkett, 38, appeared in court in Kelowna on Tuesday, July 27, where Judge Michelle Danyluk handed him the conditional sentence. Burkett will serve his sentence in Alberta, where he now lives.

burkett.png

“Mr. Burkett used his position as a police officer to gain the introduction to the victims, obtaining their contact information and an attempt to pursue some sort of relationship with each of them,” said Danyluk.

Though unmentioned in the judge’s decision, civil suits filed by some of the complainants involved in the criminal case allege Burkett made threats of sexual assault and demanded nude photographs from the women. They also claim he sent sexually suggestive and explicit messages.

Morehttps://www.vicnews....oids-jail-time/

Edited by pontcanna, 27 July 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#1625 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:35 PM

VicPD says some callers waiting more than 50 hours for police response

JULY 30, 2021

Victoria police said Friday afternoon that they are experiencing a backlog of calls, with some people waiting more than 50 hours for an officer to attend.

VicPD posted a photo on Twitter showing 58 calls as of 1:15 p.m. waiting in the queue for an available officer to respond.

Const. Cam MacIntyre said 30 to 50 calls waiting is not abnormal, but nearly 60 calls is high for the department.

#1626 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:14 AM

Nanaimo RCMP respond ‘in force’ after man couldn’t wait to load replica gun he just bought

Police detain 22-year-old at Woodgrove Centre parking lot

July 30, 2021

26009613_web1_210804-NBU-replica-gun-1_1
RCMP seized a replica revolver after a man was seen loading it in the parking lot at Woodgrove Centre on Friday, July 30.

Nanaimo RCMP responded in force to an incident that turned out to be a man loading a replica gun in the Woodgrove Centre parking lot.

“A 911 caller said they could see a man loading bullets into a large handgun,” noted the release.

Morehttps://www.vicnews....he-just-bought/

#1627 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:29 AM

I couldn't find what hick store in Woodgrove sells realistic pellet guns. Anyway, perhaps that's not a good tenant for the new owner.

#1628 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:32 AM

princess auto sells that gun.

https://www.princess...ct/PA0008785776

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#1629 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:41 AM

VicPD announces yesterday that their response time to "non-emergency" calls like home break-ins, car break-ins, bike thefts, etc is currently 50 hours.

In other words, you phone VicPD to report a serious crime, and two days (or more) later they show up to investigate.

This does not seem remotely like anything that could be called "effective policing" to me, nor does it inspire confidence that VicPD is being effectively managed either from a political or bureaucratic point of view.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1630 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

we housed the homeless where is our police savings?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2021 - 06:51 AM.

• sebberry, todd and A Girl is No one like this

#1631 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

Not in Nanaimo they don't. Only Princess Auto on the Island is in Langford.

Tho there are several webpages devoted to asking Princess Auto to open a Nanaimo outlet.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

We have about five years of savings now, according to what the mayor was promoting circa 2016 using verbiage as 'Million Dollar [Name].' I still see this being referenced on social media by people who have yet to show us the numbers after a half decade of savings.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1633 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

https://www.princess...ct/PA0008785776

Oh, I see you load the BBs into a cartridge, then load the filled cartridges into the chamber like a regular revolver. So it would definitely look exactly like someone loading a real gun. 

Maybe he bought it at one of those "as seen on TV" mall stores.

Edited by Rob Randall, 31 July 2021 - 08:35 AM.

#1634 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:40 AM

VicPD announces yesterday that their response time to "non-emergency" calls like home break-ins, car break-ins, bike thefts, etc is currently 50 hours.

In other words, you phone VicPD to report a serious crime, and two days (or more) later they show up to investigate.

This does not seem remotely like anything that could be called "effective policing" to me, nor does it inspire confidence that VicPD is being effectively managed either from a political or bureaucratic point of view.

ALTHOUGH, I recall years ago contacting the police about a shoplifter and being told to get a description and let him go as VicPD was too busy to respond to non-emergency calls. 

I am not sure that this is entirely new then.

I think that police and fire need annual budget increases that not only include inflation but also represent the increase in population they are responsible for. That should be coming from new assessment revenue but instead every year Helps and Co spend that money on pet projects and grants to their buddies. On that basis then VicPd and fire have a legit complaint on funding. The criticism with Del however has been that the money he does get has been spent on increasing the size of his admin bureaucracy and not on front line cops.

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2021 - 08:43 AM.

#1635 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:58 AM

Remind me of what happens to shop lifters in West Virginia?

#1636 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 03:49 AM

Grief, rage and love: Mother mourns son killed by police in Campbell River

Times Colonist - 1 Aug 2021

Lowndes.png
Jared Lowndes’ sister Chenoah Holland, left, and his mother Laura Holland with Fay Blaney at Lowndes’ memorial

A busy pier forms the backdrop to the small courtyard next to Island Funeral Services funeral home in Campbell River.

Laura Holland sits in the shade of a nearby maple tree, waiting for the memorial ceremony for her son to begin. She recalls one of her favourite stories about him. When he was seven, he surprised her with a small book he had crafted about orcas, which he had been learning about in his Grade 2 class.

“He told me, in great detail, how he made the book all about the orcas and how they were families and how they stayed together forever,” Laura, who’s of the Laksilyu House of the Wet’suwet’en Nation, says in the quiet shade. “He put his little arms around my legs and he said: ‘Oh, mommy, I’m going to be like a killer whale. I’m going to live with you forever.’ ”

Jared Lowndes, known as Jay, was killed by Campbell River RCMP on the morning of July 8 in an altercation that began when police said he failed to comply with attempts to stop him for an outstanding warrant. He was 38.

Morehttps://digitaltimes...281573768737835

#1637 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:18 AM

Random law enforcement an invitation to others to try their luck

Times Colonist - 1 Aug 2021

LAWRIE McFARLANE

bridge.png

In the interests of avoiding confrontation, police did nothing when protesters from Extinction Rebellion Canada calling for climate action occupied the Johnson Street Bridge in October 2019 and refused to let motorists cross, with the exception of emergency vehicles, writes Lawrie McFarlane, who argues inaction in such situations encourages others.

When I wrote a piece criticizing (among other things) the refusal of local police officers to intervene when a band of thugs threw the statue of Capt. James Cook into the Inner Harbour, I received a thoughtful email from a reader who made this point: “As for the job of the police to keep the peace, in [the] incident that you name they were actually keeping the peace by not intervening.”

The same defence was offered a couple of years back, when law-enforcement agencies stood aside and let a group of protesters march north along the Pat Bay Highway for 22 kilometres. Because they were allowed to occupy both driving lanes, they caused a massive traffic snarl.

The defence offered was that police had met with protest organizers before the march and detected several “troublemakers” who were looking to create a confrontation. As a result, it was decided not to intervene.

However, I’m not here to argue compromise. I want to raise a deeper question. At what point, and at what cost, are law enforcement agencies obliged to enforce the law?

Morehttps://digitaltimes...282046215140395

#1638 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:48 AM

Another group is going to block the highway this weekend:

https://www.timescol...nday-1.24347719

#1639 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:34 PM

Random law enforcement an invitation to others to try their luck

Times Colonist - 1 Aug 2021

LAWRIE McFARLANE

bridge.png
In the interests of avoiding confrontation, police did nothing when protesters from Extinction Rebellion Canada calling for climate action occupied the Johnson Street Bridge in October 2019 and refused to let motorists cross, with the exception of emergency vehicles, writes Lawrie McFarlane, who argues inaction in such situations encourages others.

When I wrote a piece criticizing (among other things) the refusal of local police officers to intervene when a band of thugs threw the statue of Capt. James Cook into the Inner Harbour, I received a thoughtful email from a reader who made this point: “As for the job of the police to keep the peace, in [the] incident that you name they were actually keeping the peace by not intervening.”

The same defence was offered a couple of years back, when law-enforcement agencies stood aside and let a group of protesters march north along the Pat Bay Highway for 22 kilometres. Because they were allowed to occupy both driving lanes, they caused a massive traffic snarl.

The defence offered was that police had met with protest organizers before the march and detected several “troublemakers” who were looking to create a confrontation. As a result, it was decided not to intervene.

However, I’m not here to argue compromise. I want to raise a deeper question. At what point, and at what cost, are law enforcement agencies obliged to enforce the law?

More: https://digitaltimes...282046215140395

I see your point but I think law has to be enforced uniformly, no matter who contravenes it. Otherwise it gives extra power to bullies. We were lucky to live in a place and time were the social contract was adhered to. It’s a very delicate balance to maintain. At its root is the « blind application », IMO. Once we give in to bullies, anyone can go down the bully way.

The question might be: how to enforce the law while avoiding any reproachable actions and giving those bullies something to scream about.

#1640 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:53 PM

https://podcasts.app...i=1000530518630

Integrated Canine Section - Sgt. Calvin Ewer      True Blue Podcast
  •  
Listen on Apple Podcasts 

Sgt. Calvin Ewer is the NCO in charge of the newly formed Integrated Canine Section (ICS).  The K-9 handlers and their police service dogs are valuable resources to Patrol Officers in both VicPD and Saanich PD.  Everyone likes to talk about dogs!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)