• Please log in to reply
3334 replies to this topic

#1641 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:40 AM

Victoria's higher levels of crime prompt renewed call for regional policing

August 3, 2021

The release of statistics showing a relatively high volume and severity of crime in Victoria is sparking renewed calls for region-wide policing.

The chief of the Victoria Police Department, the mayors of Victoria and Esquimalt and an advocacy group focused on lower taxes and more accountable municipal governments are among those calling for a single police force for the capital region.

“If someone came into our region today to set up policing, they wouldn’t say: ‘I know, let’s set up 12 different arrangements,’ ” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “They would say: ‘Let’s set up one regional department that’s going to increase efficiency, enhance public safety and make sure that resources are deployed where they need to be.’ ”

#1642 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

“If someone came into our region today to set up policing, they wouldn’t say: ‘I know, let’s set up 12 different arrangements,’ ” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “They would say: ‘Let’s set up one regional department that’s going to increase efficiency, enhance public safety and make sure that resources are deployed where they need to be.’ ”

what a tool. 

we also would not set up 13 municipalities.  

but that's the way it is.  

where is her desire for a common fire department?  or parks or recreation system?  street cleaning and maintenance and snow removal?  taxation department or human resources?  parking or bylaw enforcement?

she singlehandedly dismantled the common labour bargaining tool we had used on the management side of labour negotiations.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2021 - 10:01 AM.

• Nparker, Lorenzo and On the Level like this

#1643 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:16 AM

She just doesn’t want to have stats showing her complete mess up of the city…
  • Nparker and LJ like this

#1644 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:19 AM

what a tool.

we also would not set up 13 municipalities.

but that's the way it is.

where is her desire for a common fire department? or parks or recreation system? street cleaning and maintenance and snow removal? taxation department or human resources? parking or bylaw enforcement?

she singlehandedly dismantled the common labour bargaining tool we had used on the management side of labour negotiations.

And homeless services?

#1645 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:14 AM

what a tool. 

Jeez, I remember when we were strongly pro-police amalgamation.

Now that Lisa Helps likes it now it's the devil's work.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:27 AM

it's her hypocrisy that's at issue.  not the idea of police - or general - amalgamation.

but lisa and her crew have screwed up the entire downtown core so badly with rampant crime and vagrancy that it's no wonder nobody else wants to dilute their police force, or put forth their municipality for amalgamation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2021 - 11:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1647 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:31 AM

I have forgotten the context where “ Bring it on” was used.

Was it the court house tent city?

#1648 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:33 AM

I don't think it matters who is at the municipal helm, the issue will continue and worsen as long as the criminal justice system remains as is. Would be interesting to see if there's a significant spike in the number of criminals per capita, not just crimes.

We all know it's a catch and release system these days and no amount of increased police funding or amalgamation will solve that.
  • Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#1649 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:36 AM

I don't think it matters who is at the municipal helm, the issue will continue and worsen as long as the criminal justice system remains as is. Would be interesting to see if there's a significant spike in the number of criminals per capita, not just crimes.

We all know it's a catch and release system these days and no amount of increased police funding or amalgamation will solve that.

does oak bay have a catch and release problem?  central saanich?

the problem is all the criminals we imported into the core.  and continue to support with free housing food drugs etc.  victoria likely has more welfare recipients than the entire population of oak bay.  those are your catch and release people.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2021 - 11:37 AM.

#1650 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:02 PM

And let's not forget her other famous line "These aren't criminals, they are just desperate people".

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#1651 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:10 PM

Supposedly it was in response to a post-courthouse tent city question of aren't you afraid these policies to house the homeless will attract people here and she said something that included the line "bring it on" but no-one's been able to find the source. I vaguely recall seeing it on TV maybe, but it also might be apocryphal. 

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#1652 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

Weekend Roadblocks Net 24 Impaired Drivers

Date: TuesdayAugust 3rd, 2021

Victoria, BC – VicPD Traffic officers are reminding the public about the risks of driving impaired after weekend roadblocks netted 24 impaired drivers.

On the evenings of FridayJuly 30th, and SaturdayJuly 31st, VicPD Traffic officers ran two separate roadblocks at different locations in Victoria and Esquimalt. On FridayJuly 30th, officers took nine impaired drivers off the road in a seven hour time period. In addition, officers issued 19 violation tickets for various offences under the Motor Vehicle Act .

On SaturdayJuly 31st, officers took 15 impaired drivers off the road in a six hour time period. In addition, officers issued 23 violation tickets for a variety of Motor Vehicle Act offences. Officers closed the roadblock an hour early due to the amount of administrative work required to document that amount of impaired drivers. Additional tow trucks became unavailable due to the high number of towed vehicles.

In total, officers took 24 impaired drivers off the road over the two days. Each impaired driver’s vehicle was seized and towed for a period of time related to the severity of their driving prohibition. A table outlining the statistics is below.

July 30 - 31st         

12 Hour         2
24 Hour         5
3 Day WARN  11
90-day FAIL       6
Impaired Totals  24

Each year in B.C., 67 people die in crashed involving impaired driving. Almost half of those deaths happen during the summer months. VicPD officers will continue to target impaired drivers throughout the summer.

If you’re going to drink or consume drugs, make the smart choice and plan a safe ride home.

#1653 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:56 PM

I never was.  Is Victoria going to share parking revenue?  How about commercial taxes being generated from "all of those people coming downtown"?  Of course not.  They will only share the costs and pocket the revenue.

• LJ likes this

#1654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:02 PM

I never was.  Is Victoria going to share parking revenue?  How about commercial taxes being generated from "all of those people coming downtown"?  Of course not.  They will only share the costs and pocket the revenue.

couldn't each municipality pay based on the number of calls?  maybe a more complex scale where more serious calls also mean a higher score or points.

#1655 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:30 PM

couldn't each municipality pay based on the number of calls?  maybe a more complex scale where more serious calls also mean a higher score or points.

I see what you mean, but it still isn't reasonable.  It will just drain other municipalities of their police protection by diverting those officers into downtown.  Together Victoria and friends have created the spike in calls.  Other municipalities didn't vote special interest activists into power.  Why should other municipalities pay for Victoria's actions or have services diminished when they have no say, to then see Victoria keep all of the revenue generated by simply being the core?  Isn't that an example of wanting your cake and eating it too?

Amalgamation, should it ever come to be, doesn't just make other jurisdictions pay for "downtown services", it creates a budget from all revenue and then allocates it for everyone.  

Edited by On the Level, 03 August 2021 - 04:33 PM.

• LJ likes this

#1656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:36 PM

other municipalities would not pay for Victoria’s screwups under my plan.

If Victoria generates 59% of the calls or officer hours they would get 59% of the regional bill at the end of the quarter. If oak bay uses 4% that’s all they’d pay.

#1657 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:49 PM

My biggest worry about your plan is that Victoria might only generate and pay for only 59% of the calls, but would consume 80% of the resources.  Response times in other locations could go through the roof.  We could see a huge increase in size based on response times making it more expensive for everyone, downtown included.  The one pillar homeless / mental health approach is the problem.

On a side note, I'd be curious what the costs would be if they replaced VicPD with the RCMP (sorry VicPD).  If the RCMP can run Surrey and Burnaby, they can certainly run Victoria and have less meddling from council.

Edited by On the Level, 03 August 2021 - 04:50 PM.

• LJ likes this

#1658 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:51 PM

If the RCMP can run Surrey 

Not for long.

#1659 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:55 PM

other municipalities would not pay for Victoria’s screwups under my plan.

If Victoria generates 59% of the calls or officer hours they would get 59% of the regional bill at the end of the quarter. If oak bay uses 4% that’s all they’d pay.

Is that how it currently works with Esquimalt?

#1660 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:07 PM

Not for long.

Interesting.  Should be interesting to see how it unfolds....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users