Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
746 replies to this topic

#61 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

HAve any bylaws been implemented banning the sale of non-spayed/neutered rabbits in the core municipalities? If not, this whole thing is a waste of time, and we'll be back in the same spot in a few years...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#62 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

You think UVic was bad for killing the bunnies?

Beagles at the University of Guelph need our help. Please let us explain the situation.

For the past few months, Animal Alliance has been working to rescue beagles used in the Veterinary Skills Training and Enhancement Program (VSTEP). VSTEP is a program for international vets who want to practice in Ontario. Typically, the beagles are spayed then euthanized. We've said to the manager of VSTEP that the beagles do not have to die, that Animal Alliance can find them loving homes. After a great deal of pressure from us, the beagles are going to be recovered but adopted out only to individuals, not released to Animal Alliance's care.

If you have been thinking about adopting a dog, we have been informed that these beagles are sweet, lovely little girls. There are 10 beagles, all female and approximately one to two years of age. They will likely need lots of love and patience. Most have spent their entire lives in cages and have never walked outside, climbed upstairs or been on a leash. But they are gentle loving animals in need of a permanent loving home.

http://animalallianc...need-homes.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#63 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

COURT INJUNCTION HALTS CULL OF UVIC RABBITS

THE GROUP TRYING TO SAVE THE RABBITS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA SAYS IT HAS SECURED A LEGAL INJUNCTION WHICH TEMPORARILY PROHIBITS THE UNIVERSITY FROM TRAPPING OR KILLING THE ANIMALS.

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=14594

Is a class action lawsuit by the homeowners whose gardens have been damaged by the rabbits that the university has failed to control the next step?

#64 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

I have rarely seen rabbits at UVic. Did this happen recently? Only place I go is the Uvic exchange to get a bus downtown, but I don't see rabbits there or around the bus benches.

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I have rarely seen rabbits at UVic. Did this happen recently? Only place I go is the Uvic exchange to get a bus downtown, but I don't see rabbits there or around the bus benches.

They've probably been killed.

Polls

Do you support the legal injunction to temporarily stop UVIC from trapping or killing rabbits?

Answer Votes %
Yes 178 29%
No 435 71%
Total: 613 100%
This poll is no longer open to voting.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#66 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

^
Not much bunny love there.

#67 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I know this thread is about the rabbits at UVic, but also, I think it would be nice for the 21 Interurban to also get to UVic, or just have it go from Interurban to UVic instead of Downtown.

#68 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Do you think that if the 43 chihuahuas had been dropped off at the university, that they would have got along with the bunnies?

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Do you think that if the 43 chihuahuas had been dropped off at the university, that they would have got along with the bunnies?

Yes. It costs $299+ to take a dog from the SPCA, and they got rid of 20 chihuahuas in one day. Too bad nobody will take any bunnies for free.

http://www.spca.bc.c...oria/adopt.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

l1iDbdgrJJA

#71 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Those chihuahuas look very well taken care of. I wonder why the owner was going to be investigated for neglect...? Doesn't make sense somehow.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#72 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

... Too bad nobody will take any bunnies for free...

We got Mr. Big from the SPCA a couple years ago, and I think we had to pay $40 for spaying, etc. Rabbits aren't for every one, but he has been a nice addition to our family.

#73 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

^
I hope he's opening his own gift. :)

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Date: August 13, 2010
UVic Applies To Set Aside Injunction Prohibiting Trapping and Culling of Rabbits

The University of Victoria has applied to the BC Supreme Court to set aside an injunction granted on July 30 prohibiting the university from trapping and killing the feral rabbits that are proliferating on its campus. The injunction was obtained by animal rights activist Roslyn Cassells.

[...] ... ah yes, the Friday afternoon press release.

http://communication...release&id=1153
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

They keep talking about injuries and illnesses due to the rabbits. How many people have fallen ill or been injured due to the rabbits?

#76 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Should we wait until people start being affected?

#77 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

"Affected" by what? Seb's question asks if there has been any history of safety or health related incidents, not what should we do now?........ in case they might happen.

#78 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

Heaven forbid that a stressed out UVic student during exam time finds it relaxing to feed some carrots to the bunnies. Oh, you mean affected in a bad way. Well.. that's why I ask how bad it has been so far.

#79 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

UVic bunnies Texas-bound
Ministry approves plan to ship up to 1,000 to ranch
By Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist August 18, 2010

Call it a green card for bunnies.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0wzRQvEOm

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

UVic bunnies Texas-bound
Ministry approves plan to ship up to 1,000 to ranch
By Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist August 18, 2010

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0wzRQvEOm

Seeing how UVic would rather have them killed, no.. culled, I'm surprised they are agreeing to this.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users