Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
746 replies to this topic

#141 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

UVIC may claim to be rabbit free, but I know of several nearby private properties that have bunnies living under the garden sheds.

#142 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

UVIC may claim to be rabbit free, but I know of several nearby private properties that have bunnies living under the garden sheds.

Henderson Rec centre and golf course has a resident population, also the dog park at mystic vale has a couple.

We live just off Henderson and used to have a few but havent seen any for a couple of months so fingers crossed.

#143 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

I have not seen a single rabbit on campus for weeks.

#144 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

Only married rabbits?

#145 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have not seen a single rabbit on campus for weeks.

They're on the way back from Texas on the next bus.

#146 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

The bunnies are going at it in the Haro Road area, and you can expect to see them all over the campus in a few months.

#147 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

The bunnies are going at it in the Haro Road area, and you can expect to see them all over the campus in a few months.

They'll be killed quickly.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#148 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

There is also a large rabbit population in the Uplands area, especially in Uplands Park, likely either spread from UVic or "sympathetic" donations. My fear is that now that UVic is gone (as is GVH before it) people will find some new spot, likely a public park where it is much harder to catch and kill them.

#149 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Theres also a group on Henderson by Uplands School and spreading into Mystic Vale

#150 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

Saanich residents put up a strong roadblock to the University of Victoria's plan to build a seven-storey parkade at the McKenzie Avenue entrance to the campus that prides itself on reducing traffic.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1UXvLPOAJ

That does seem like a crappy location, but if they need it to incorporate with the sports facility, then where else?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Exactly. And think of all the prime land currently being used for surface parking throughout the university grounds. It's a shame so much asphalt surrounds the school.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

They're probably just asking for more than they expect to receive. Saanich council should permit a 5 story parkade and UVic will be happy.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#153 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

Somebody in the TC comments says the parkade would actually be only 4 stories above ground, plus some underground levels. If so, the "eyesore" aspect would seem to be not such a big deal after all. Consider the parkade at the Jubilee Hospital, for example.

#154 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

There is a smoking ban inside the ring road. Apparently you can smoke anywhere you like by crossing the road to get to the other side.

How many students does it take to light a cigarette when the wind is blowing smoke across the road to the inside of the ring?

#155 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

UVic parking rates:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#156 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Year before I retired from UVic, I suggested that if the CRD was going to force unnecessary land-based sewage treatment, then UVic - as a "green-vision" campus - should treat its own sewage in a resource-recovery sewage plant. I suggested best site for it would be smack-dab where the Athletics parkade would be!

Think how long that idea would take to get that through the neighborhood NIMBIES!

Sewage not a problem: Newcomb
Sep 30, 2009 | Volume 62 Issue 8 | 32 Comments

Put sewage treatment in our backyard: UVic prof
Sep 10, 2009 | Volume 62 Issue 5 | 60 Comments

Oh well - I had fun upsetting the UVic administrators who really, really want that Athletic Club and parkade to be built.
:)

#157 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

#177 in the world, right between U of Dundee & U of Sao Paulo:
http://www.timeshigh...12/top-400.html

#158 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

That seems a reasonable placement. Would we expect it to be higher?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#159 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

1960s Rooftop Concert Inspires 50th Anniversary Recreation

Concerts atop the University of Victoria’s Student Union Building (SUB) occurred several times in the mid-1960s and the rooftop ruckus will be reprised on Friday, Sept. 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. as part of the university’s 50th Anniversary Festival.

“The rooftop concert of 1967 made quite a ruckus, so it made sense to do it again when we were approached by CFUV station manager Randy Gelling about programing something like this as a way to celebrate 50 years,” says 50th Anniversary Coordinator Remy Hall, adding that rooftop concerts were also staged on the SUB in 1965 and 1966.

Former University of Victoria student Kathryn Calder, one of the city’s biggest musical exports, will headline the concert. Best known for her work with Vancouver supergroup, The New **rnographers, Calder’s career as a solo artist is accelerating after the release of two solo recordings.

“It’s cool to be included in an historic concert event at my alma mater,” says Calder. “Rooftop concerts are a cool thing to be a part of. From the Beatles to U2, they have a distinct informality to them that’s energizing. I’m looking forward to it.”

University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, Media releases

#160 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Date: October 03, 2012
New Funding Propels UVic's World-Leading Ocean Observatory Into The Future

Completion of the world’s largest deep-sea tsunami array, new instruments to improve marine safety in the Strait of Georgia, and the first subsea instrument platform in the Arctic—these are three exciting developments underway at the University of Victoria’s world–leading Ocean Networks Canada Observatory.

Today, the governments of Canada and British Columbia announced a total of $41.7 million in new funding to support the operating costs of the observatory, which is managed for the University of Victoria by the not-for-profit organization, Ocean Networks Canada (ONC).

University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, Media releases

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users