Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
746 replies to this topic

#121 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

There has been a pretty massive drop in the bunny population in the last month or so.

#122 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

She should check with the indigenous people of Zimbabwe and see how that worked for them. If she can find any, since so many have fled to South Africa.

The Zimbabwe connection occurred to me as well. I just can't visualize how her predictions would work in a practical sense. Even if peak oil and environmental and social catastrophe were to occur simultaneously I doubt it would help matters if indigenous peoples attempted some sort of wide-scale land reclamation, wound back the clock and returned to an agrarian/hunter/gatherer economy.

#123 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

The most interesting thing about that article is trying to imagine how someone who clearly belongs in a mental institution got a Ph.D.
In chains by Keynes

#124 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

How is whining about professors mouthing off related to "infrastructure"?

#125 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

I guess it just proves that just because one can receive a 'higher education' it does not make one smart.

I looked at her website, she tells a compelling story of the hardships of her ancestors 150 years ago. It truly is sad what happened. I just dont understand though how she could apply those injustices to today.

My ancestors were also horribly abused some only 100 years ago and others several hundred years ago. Personally I dont see invading Russia or England would really fix things today. Lots of our ancestors were treated harshly, perhaps it was colonialism, or imperialism, or just plain brutality and greed. Does that give us or any other identifiable group a reason to expect reparations from events that happened several generations past?

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

...perhaps she has given up on all modern conveniences such as a home, car, communications etc. If she was to practise what she preached how would she collect a paycheque?

That's what I was thinking, too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#127 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Couldn't find her on ratemyprofessor. Hopefully that means she's not actually teaching students.

#128 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

On another note, what happened to all the rabbits? Do they stay underground at this time of year, or have they been culled?

#129 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

I see that the TC picked up this story, now...three days later.

http://www.timescolo...4331/story.html

I love this line: "It is really quite stunning that this one young, white male could wield this sort of power." What the hell does his gender and ethnicity have to do with his disagreeing with her views? Meanwhile, she goes on to completely validate her accuser by splitting this hair:

"I talk about land reclamation by any means necessary. From my perspective that's not a call to violence, but it doesn't preclude the use of violence," she said. Ummm, it might not be a call to violence, but it is a defence of the use of violence. That's like saying you don't agree with the lynchings, but what the KKK are saying makes sense.

I am more stunned how this village idiot got a soapbox to stand on and espouse her ridiculous views. Oh, right...

#130 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I think that Angela Cavender Wilson (Waziyatawin) might have gotten over-confident about what she could say publicly in the US, as speech that she could indulge in for select Canadian academic audiences would not be tolerated in some parts of the US academic environment.

Waziyatawin online biography here might be interpreted by some as inciting bigotry and violence. However, in Canada, such verbal aggression by First Nations activists and advocates appears to be widely tolerated by authorities who have been constrained by FN's deft legal tactics of Canadian Charter rights. Recent BC-based chief who incited violence doesn't seem to be bothered by it (Fight against mine could be bloody).

Globe and Mail journalist Christie Blatchford's extensive research and recent book on the Caledonia, Ontario first nations violence appears to have been roundly condemned by First Nations activists and advocates, but her central point is that the violence by activists was met only be acquiescence of police, and emboldened, several incidences of violence continued, with eventually a very bloody assault on at least one person. She condemned inaction by police chief Julian Fantino, who has since gone on to become new Conservative MP (Vaughn) and Minister of State for Seniors.
:)

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

We give these fools our tax money?

After years of dealing with bunny angst, the University of Victoria is now considering going rabbit-free.

The university's original rabbit management plan, released last June, envisaged no rabbits outside the ring road and about 200 animals in a tightly controlled zone within it.

But, with most of the original population of about 1,600 feral rabbits already trapped and taken to sanctuaries, the management plan is being revised.

"One of the scenarios we're kicking around is no rabbits on campus," said Tom Smith, UVic director of facilities management...

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1AvciqYCf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

Finally...

Rabbits on bunny-free campus will be killed

School's new get-tough plan aimed at dissuading owners from dumping unwanted pets on site

By Judith Lavoie, Postmedia News January 21, 2011

Rabbits found at the University of Victoria after Feb. 28 will be killed under a new, get-tough plan for a bunny-free campus.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1BgGF9haQ

#133 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I know a lot of students enjoy having the rabbits around.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

And I'd like to have unicorns on my campus. But it does not mean I should have them.*

*unless my campus is in the Humboldt Valley

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

Those students have yet to sit in a grassed area and discover that a bunny has left its mark :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Now they will have to learn how to make squirrel stew.

#137 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Not so loud. Heaven help us if the introduced squirrels ever find out that the introduced rabbits are finally getting the boot.

The last thing we want is an alliance of squirrels and rabbits against humanity.

#138 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

UVIC is wabbit fwee, for now.

http://www.cfax1070.com

#139 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

:mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#140 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

My parents were bombed by the Luftwaffe 70 years ago.
I just mailed a letter to Angela Merkel demanding 100,000 euros for the damage to my parents' neighbourhood.
I have also demanded 2 million euros for my pre-birth suffering and anxiety.

People who make a living off what happened to their ancestors 6 generations ago are tiresome and annoying. If there was no UVic "infrastructure" she would have to get a job though I don't know if she possesses any real-world skills.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users