Photo

General Heritage Discussion

• Please log in to reply
629 replies to this topic

#621 aastra

aastra
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

Suffice it to say, when other places in the Pacific Northwest care more about your city's heritage than your city does, it suggests something is amiss.

• Rob Randall likes this

#622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 56,314 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

It’s more an opportunity to get a building nobody wants locally at the costs involved to restore it locally, for dirt cheap. Don’t forget there is a hefty exchange rate working in their favour

Building here is not cheap. And costs are continuing to rise as local trades are pushed to the breaking point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#623 aastra

aastra
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

I still feel like you're campaigning to be the city's heritage preservation honcho. "Preservation would be great, but... you know."

#624 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 56,314 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

That’s the thing, I do know.

The point I’m making is this is not a cheap pursuit, nor an easy pursuit. There are far easier ways to make money in the real-estate game.

So when a developer shows interest in preserving heritage we ought to be bending over backwards to support them, instead of finding every excuse imaginable to get in their way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#625 aastra

aastra
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

You can be head of heritage preservation and I'll be head of tourism. The first thing I'll do is move YYJ to Port Townsend.

#626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 56,314 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:20 PM

Given their drug problems I think that’s already happened.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#627 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 13,578 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:36 AM

Avison Young is pleased to present the opportunity to acquire Porter Block, an iconic, fully leased heritage property located in the heart of Downtown Victoria. This well-maintained building is situated on the northwest corner of Douglas and Johnson Streets, offering excellent exposure and tremendous access to both transportation and amenities. Porter Block is a two-storey heritage property with basement. The basement and 1st floor are currently entirely leased by The Original Farm; the second floor has recently undergone major upgrades and renovations to convert the space into a modern 2-bedroom residential unit spanning the entire floor. 

428347_1.jpg

https://www.realtor....060412/victoria

$3,700,000

#628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 56,314 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

Interesting about the residential units. Right across the street Morgan Block is coming soon: https://victoria.cit...ck/?term=Morgan

Know it all.

#629 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,653 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

Sounds like a single, large apartment, not multiple units. 

#630 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

I bet it's a spectacular unit. Wasn't that a bathhouse in the 80s upstairs? I mean, that's what I heard, not that there's anything wrong with that.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users