Photo

Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#241 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

It's a fair cop...I'm on the payroll and about to marry into the Bradley Family. Such a relief to be outed by a vibrating Vibrant Victorian. Now I can get on with my life. I must be responsible for 5% of the 240 posts. The remaining 95% must have sold their souls...

#242 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

:confused:

Honestly, a strange business model.

Anybody else know a food-service business that is closed more than one day a week? Anybody know one that is closed one day a week?

There are several such places downtown, e.g. cafes along Blanshard, which serve the daytime, weekday white-collar crowd.....

#243 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Brasserie l'ecole, Ulla, Sally Bun... there are lots of successful, busy food service businesses that close two days a week.

Matt.

#244 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

You can add Dutch Bakery to that list, too.

Matt.

#245 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

^But none of those have Bud Light, Karaoke, or scantily clad lassies working it for tips. It boggles the mind that any are still in business.

#246 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

Sometimes it is worth it. I worked a pub style restaurant in the burbs that was doing well and we closed Mondays. We made minor profits on Tues - Friday Friday and Saturday night made huge profits and Sunday was decent. Monday always cost the place money so we closed. No one cared.

#247 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

....Not only that, but the logistics of closing for two days a week are staggering. Essentially, your ordering needs to be spot on, or you end up throwing out a bunch of food on Wednsday that's been sitting in the fridge for an extra two days. Or more likely, you just use it and pray...

There was a time when very few hospitality establishments were open seven days a week, or even six, and the operators were quite capable of managing things well enough that spoiled food was not the normal offering. :)

#248 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

A place for friends to mingle

Low-alcohol ales and art displays part of pub's social ambience

Don and Bonnie Bradley, owners of Moon Under Water brewpub, flank their nephew Ron Bradley. Ron, like his uncle, is a skilled brewer.
Photograph by: Adrian Lam, Times Colonist

Dozens of patrons showed up to admire the works of visual artists at an Island Illustrators art show at the Moon Under Water brewpub, 305-A Bay St. They also sang the praises of Rock Bay's cosy and inviting pub that celebrates its gala opening Feb. 16-20[...]

http://www.timescolo...2577/story.html

Thank-you for the excellent photograph and the link to the TC writeup. I will be dropping in to check the place out...there hasn't been a decent pub in that area since the Rock Bay Saloon closed in 1917. (No I wasn't there....I just read that.)

#249 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

Was here last night. First off the beer was great. Just had the IPA but still excellent, great hoppy taste. I decided not to order food as I had eaten dinner earlier, however two people I was with did as soon as their food came I regretted not ordering. Their food looked like great pubfood. I will be back.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#250 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

I finally dropped in with a couple of friends and enjoyed a pint of the IPA. It was delicious. Nice to have another "local" spring up against the trend.

#251 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Not sure if it is permanant but Friday I was backed up on Bay St to the Moon waiting to get across Government street thanks to a new left turning lane they have put in to make a left on to Government. If it is there to stay I would like to talk to the planner that thought that one up! If its backed up Monday I will be stopping in at the Moon for a brew :)

#252 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

If its backed up Monday I will be stopping in at the Moon for a brew :)

No you won't - they're closed Monday/Tuesday :)

#253 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

1000K Blonde will support the Canadian Cancer Society Cops for Cancer Tour de Rock, an annual 1000 kilometre bike race around Vancouver Island to raise money for pediatric cancer research.

The beer will be available in limited edition bottles at the pub and The Strath beer and wine store starting the week of August 21st, with all proceeds to be donated to the Tour.

http://www.canadianb...w-charity-beer/

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Any idea why the release would be limited to only one liquor store?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#255 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

they've got a small tank that they use for seasonals & one-offs so I guess they aren't making enough. that's the only reason I can think of.

#256 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

looks like a cool setup they've got there

http://basementbrewe...nder-water.html

#257 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Moon website and Twitter-

Sunday, February 12th, 2012:

Just a reminder we are now closing on Sundays - but don't worry we are doing our Roast Beef dinner on Saturday nights.

#258 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

What pub closes on a Sunday? I smell trouble.

#259 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

^They all used to.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#260 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I can't think of one that does now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users