Site "C" Dam Project

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#341 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,725 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:57 AM

Suddenly it’s a problem there’s now a need for Site C.

You just can’t win.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#342 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

Any bets that LNG Canada will be paying full commercial rates for electricity?!

Their cheapest power would be building their own natural gas-fired power plant on site, which is what I expect them to do.  Gives them total control over power needs 24/7

#343 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:47 AM

a long term contract with bc hydro also gives them full control.

#344 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

a long term contract with bc hydro also gives them full control.

not as good as having their own power generated on site.  BC Hydro may offer a good contract but there are potentials for physical problems with power transmission

#345 spanky123

spanky123
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

Their cheapest power would be building their own natural gas-fired power plant on site, which is what I expect them to do.  Gives them total control over power needs 24/7

I doubt that they can build a plant that will generate the electricity demands they need. They require something like 40% of Site C's total capacity!

Edited by spanky123, 09 October 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#346 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

I doubt that they can build a plant that will generate the electricity demands they need. They require something like 40% of Site C's total capacity!

Most LNG plants globally run their own natural gas-fired power plants as a power source.   I can not find anything that indicates LNG Canada is committed to buying power from BC Hydro, I could have not found it, but to date it all reads like assumptions that Site C power is what will be used.

#347 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

From the CBC article Bingo linked earlier:

Only about 20 per cent of LNG Canada's power needs will be supplied by the electrical grid. The rest — including the energy necessary to compress, chill and convert natural gas to its liquid form — will be supplied by the gas itself.

#348 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

From the CBC article Bingo linked earlier:

Which is where I am coming from, the article has no hard facts 

#349 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

^ Which hard facts are you looking for? LNG Canada signed a deal with BC Hydro four years ago. It's well publicized and covered by the media. There aren't any hard numbers of the GWh provided, but the 20% figure is consistent from source to source.

Based on previous media releases, LNG producers will pay higher rates than existing industrial customers.

Here's a Globe and Mail article on that: https://www.theglobe...rticle21444513/

#350 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

The Kemano Generating Station near Kitimat might be able to supply the LNG project with some of their surplus power.

The smelter at Kitimat consumes about 80-85% of the plant's electricity, and the remainder is sold to BC Hydro's Powerex

https://en.wikipedia...erating_Station

#351 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

Except when this happens.

More than a million Fortis BC customers are being told to turn off their thermostats to help conserve the supply of natural gas following a ruptured Enbridge pipeline Tuesday night.

National Energy Board inspectors are at the scene of where an Enbridge natural gas line ruptured about 15 kilometres northeast of Prince George, which Fortis BC says feeds its system.

The utility is asking customers across the province to “avoid non-essential use of natural gas” as it expects a decrease in energy flow and a potential loss of service for up to 700,000 customers.

https://www.cheknews...-george-497243/

#352 nerka

nerka
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

The actual liquefaction will primarily be powered by burning the gas. Power purchased from the grid will likely power other parts of the process. From the environmental assessment:

The GE LMS 100 gas turbine equipped with dry low NOX emissions (DLE) combustors will be used as the mechanical drive for the refrigerant compressors. There are two parallel identical compressor strings for each refrigerant circuit (train), and each string is driven by one gas turbine. A total of eight LMS 100 gas turbines are needed for the full built-out of four trains.

Air emissions from the gas turbines comprise primarily NOX and CO, with small amounts of PM2.5, SO2, and VOCs.The main source of fuel gas for gas turbines is Boil Off Gas (BOG) from the LNG storage tanks (90%),with the remainder from feed gas (10%).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.