BUILT
Midtown Court
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 740 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Midtown Court is a six storey office and commercial development in the 700-block of Hillside Avenue in Victori... (view full profile)
Learn more about Midtown Court on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside/Gorge] Midtown Court (Andrew Sheret office building) | Office | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#161 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

This architect is seriously stuck in the 80s and 90s. Just look at these rendering models!!!

woman.jpg

guy.jpg

#162 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

February 14th, 2014.

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

I see it has almost reached its staggering full height of 6 floors. Never mind the Sooke hills, the sun will surely be blocked out by this one. :squint:

• sebberry likes this

#164 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

It's half way up (from Hillside). This building is being built on speculation. Only one of the six floors has been leased (and I think that's for the company building this thing). From what I remember it was the builders decision to build six floors and not eight.

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

If I recall correctly the height was reduced due to the City's insistence on providing an additional underground floor for parking in order to reach the required number of stalls. Due to high costs of providing underground parking the developer had to reduce the size of the building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

If I recall correctly the height was reduced due to the City's insistence on providing an additional underground floor for parking in order to reach the required number of stalls...

This. Once again our valiant city council stepped in to help where none was needed.

#167 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

This architect is seriously stuck in the 80s and 90s. Just look at these rendering models!!!

attachicon.gifwoman.jpg

attachicon.gifguy.jpg

Yeah, that's either a large pager or a walkie-talkie on his belt. :lol:

#168 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#169 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

It's half way up (from Hillside). This building is being built on speculation. Only one of the six floors has been leased (and I think that's for the company building this thing). From what I remember it was the builders decision to build six floors and not eight.

The only confirmed tenants are the owner of the building (Andrew Sheret) and a daycare

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Right the daycare. They were part of the plan from the get-go.

Recall that there were plans for a daycare at the failed Radius project on Chatham at Blanshard. I wonder if it's the same group that will lease at Midtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#171 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

I am hopeful that we may see some tech companies set-up here if the prices are okay.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#172 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Right the daycare. They were part of the plan from the get-go.

Recall that there were plans for a daycare at the failed Radius project on Chatham at Blanshard. I wonder if it's the same group that will lease at Midtown.

No idea, I believe its in the back corner on the Douglas street side

#173 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

No idea, I believe its in the back corner on the Douglas street side

Perfect, they can use the sound of outboard and motorcycles running at SG Power to get to sleep at nap time!

#174 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

IMG_0630.jpg

#175 cocity

cocity
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I wonder if the lack of on-street parking immediately in front of the site influenced the design of this site & necessitated the suburban style parking lot in front. I know city staff felt that parking is/was underprovided - however, wasn't the front parking lot included in the original design? With a Splashes showroom being part of the development (& other retail spaces on the ground floor) I can understand why the developer wanted to have parking in front of the site. There are 4 lanes of traffic and on street parking (on the north side) on Hillside half a block east from here - was Hillside always wider there or was the space for parking provided when that mixed-use building was built?

It's too bad that this development went ahead as suburban as it is - an urban building in this area could have helped set the tone for future redevelopment in the area.

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

That's probably the biggest complaint people have with the project. It's understandable Splashes needs retail parking but it could have been provided in a more tactful way.

Know it all.

#177 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

The developer may prefer to set the building back from the street to reduce noise and disturbance from traffic

#178 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

I don't get the complaints. Is there ever any hope this part of town will be a walkable village? If not, why not make parking convenient? If it was over on quadra or a mile south on Douglas I'd feel differently.

#179 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

^ Well if the city keeps allowing buildings like this then I would guess not but any district has the potential to be a new destination centre with enough planning. This intersection provides a pretty cool centre-piece to what could be a cool area.

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hence the name "midtown". It'd be nice if "midtown" developed into an urban area and not a quasi suburban area.

And for what it's worth Langford has the street frontage and urban appeal thing down solid. We could take cues from them in several regards.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users