APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#1 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

I couldn't find anything in the forums about this location, I hope I didn't miss it elsewhere.

The lot next to our building, 1620 Blanshard St. the Former Gold's Gym at Blanshard & Fisgard is proposed for redevelopment.

They are proposing a 14 story LEED (silver minimum) office builidng with retail on the ground floor. The need a rezoning to address height and density for the proposed building.

The developers have presented to our strata council and will be having a public meeting hosted by the Downtown Residents' Association:
7:00 P.M. Wednesday November 1,
Ambrosio Catering, 638 Fisgard Street.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Yeah I have heard that mentioned but nothing was set in stone yet. How does your strata feel about the project (Denby Place right?).

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

Should be at least 20 floors

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

Yes, we were told not to post the information.....hahahhahaa.... Thanks thought :)

I am very excited about this building!!! We really need more office space, and being so close the the Bay redevelopment the hieghts will really compliment each other.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

Wow. I am all for such a redevelopment of that site. If it goes ahead, it will fit nicely with the Townline plan for the old Bay parkade and the current buildings on Cormorant.

I wonder what might become of the old Earl's location kitty-corner from the Gold's site?

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

It is going to be the display suite for the Hudson.

It has a whole new look!

#7 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

I have heard that the Earls site too has plans (down the road) for a highrise condo development.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Good luck with that. The zoning is even lower than downtown. That site can have a maximum of 7 storeys.

It has a whole new look!

#9 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

things may change once the new downtown plan is concieved in a year or two, as nothing will happen until then on that site anyways.

#10 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

Not to post about the public meeting? Hmmm... Oh well! I would like to see lots of people at the meeting.

Yes, Denby Place, in fact, I look right at the site.

The owners have a variety of opinions. Many do not want to see downtown change (but complain about the problems) and others are excited for what is about to happen in our part of town.

Obviously, some (on the north side) are concerned about losing their view.

Personally, I am excited for this, the Well and the Hudson, as well as the parking lot to the south of us between Cormorant and Pandora (Townline purchased this, as well). Our neighbourhood is on the cusp of big changes and it has the potential to be fabulous!

I hope that the city has the forethought to be flexible and really consider what is appropriate for this end of town (increased height, higher density) and not have the potential get lost in the fear of height debate.

All of the proponents are talking about green buildings (not necessarily LEED certification, though) and I also hope that the three projects to the north of us will investigate the potential for a joint geothermal heating/cooling system.

I am also excited to find this forum - it is great to see some lively discussion about what is going on in Victoria!

#11 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

The developer said that the current zoning allows up to 43 metres, but with a very low density. I think they are proposing to go up to 53 metres for the 14 stories and much higher density.

Denby Place is 9 stories.

I am excited for an office space proposal, I think it will work well in combination with the mixed uses in The Well and The Hudson.

Apparently Earl's is leased by Townline for the next 5 years as their showroom.

#12 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

^ Welcome to the site!!!

Yes I heard that the Well was going to have geothermal heating in their proposal. I was also at the APC meeting for the well where several key individuals spoke up about the massing of the building. I was also glad to witness Robert Randall of the DRA speaking on the same lines.

It was after these people spoke out that the panel asked the developer to consider rising the height and narrowing the buildings to allow more light in.

I have heard the latest proposal is two stories taller, which is what some councilors said they would concede to. Though only two stories, any thing will help with this proposal as it's extremely massive in width.

The nickname a lot of us used for the original proposal was the wall.

#13 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

Thanks!

It would be great if the Well were able to go taller and narrower to break up the massing (The Wall, I like it!). It seems like it should be considered given the context of the proposed height(s) for the Hudson.

I think it would be great for the new building proposed for the Gold's Gym site to do the same.

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

The office tower proposed on the Gold's Gym site will be narrower just for the fact of the property available to build on. I think that an office building here ( narrow and taller) is perfect for the site too. I am really excited about this.

Also the Well and the Hudson have the same architect firm....Merrick. (sp?)

#15 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Yes, it is Merrick for those two. de Hoog & Kierulf architects are doing the Gold's Gym one, they did the new CRD building.

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

^ They are also did Royal Roads place and the proposed Michelle pl in Colwood too. :) (dehoog)

I am not a fan of the Crd Building. They left no extra office space for future growth, and the top level of that building facing the harbour has no glass, it's all brick. ??? It kills the building.

Also I hate the open brick desert space on Government too.

The other thing that made me laugh is how the city was so against Bamboo for it's hieght in China town.....Yet the City Hail praise to the CRD building also in China town and also the same height of the bamboo.

:roll:

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

The new CRD HQ is as close as I have come to liking a new structure in that part of the core. Admitedly the wasteland that is the brick space was supposed to have been elivened with a fountain, but perhaps the City figured it would draw attention away from the beautiful water feature within Centennial Square. (lol). Also once again some of the finishing details are lacking but overall I find it a rathe handsome and welcome addition to Chinatown. At least they didn't try to make it look like the Gates of Harmonious Interest II.

BTW I wonder why no one has yet to comment on the urban wonder that is Centennial Square. Personally I loathe it. It neither compliments the orginal City Hall structure nor has any value of it's own save for a poorish example of what I like to call Star Trek modernism (see also Seattle Centre)

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

IT needs a major work over.... Please start a new thread on Centennial Square in the Core section.

Keep this on track Gold's Gym development.

Thanks....and great topic for discussion too.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

[url=http://imageshack.us:71ece][/url:71ece]

#20 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

^^^Nothing like cold war Brutalist/'modern' planning!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users