APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

Whoa, I missed G-man's recap from earlier in the evening.

Thanks for the info, G-man.

Here's the MCP page for the project: http://www.vibrantvi... ... ygreen.htm

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Can't wait to see a rendering!

Of course being an office building it'll be taller than your average 15 storey bear... the Falls comes in at 54 m and 18 storeys, while this will be 57 m.

Across the road the Townline towers are 25-storeys (71.7m) 19-storeys (60m) and 15 storeys (46.5 m) according to this great website called VibrantVictoria.ca

Boom, out of thin air, the highest concentration of highrises in the city (especially when the Well is thrown in, although that might be better termed mid-rise?). Should dramatically improve that part of town,
if
they pay attention to the street level details.

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

^I think the living wall is a unique way of doing that. As well as adding a good amount of greenery to the area.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#44 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

Does a living wall win any points towards getting LEED?

#45 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

If it gets LEED cert it'll be another bonus, an example of an environmentally friendly high rise. Something to point out to both people who only want squatscapers, and also to developers who want to cheap out...

#46 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

I talked to a guy from the building next door from this project. The residents wanted this building high enough to block the SOFMC video sign. He said it's been a complete nightmare since its been put up. They don't turn the thing off all night and he said it was like living with emergency light flickering outside your window during all dark hours.

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

Well even if they built it just to the height allowed by zoning it would be much taller than Denby Place, but interesting result to be achieved by development.

They also mention a completion in 2 and a half years.

It has a whole new look!

#48 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

How high is Denby Place?

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

9 storeys I believe.

It has a whole new look!

#50 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:39 PM

Wow this is great news...So exciting!!!

:)

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:30 AM

I guess I should mention on here that the plan for this building is steel frame contruction. Apparently it vasty speeds up the constuction process.

It has a whole new look!

#52 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:35 AM

Wow! This sounds great! I don't blame the residents, I would hate to have that thing shining in my window! I wonder if this is the first time in Victoria where residents are demanding to have a building block their view?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#53 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

I talked to a guy from the building next door from this project. The residents wanted this building high enough to block the SOFMC video sign. He said it's been a complete nightmare since its been put up. They don't turn the thing off all night and he said it was like living with emergency light flickering outside your window during all dark hours.

I wish I was so lucky... I'm on the NE corner and for me nothing will ever block that accursed sign.

The sign is supposed to go off at 11:pm and not come on until 5:am, which is of course useless for anyone with normal hours. I'd love to see it go off at dusk, particularly once daylight savings ends.

In the meantime, I'll urge my balcony "hedge" to grow a little faster. Then I can sit in the living room without the sign shining right in my face, although it still lights up the room. I have no idea what the point is of a sign that is so bright you can see the light from blocks away, but when you're blocks away you can't actually figure out what it's advertising.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

That really sucks walter. Do u rent or own?

#55 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

I own (and apologies for this going off topic!). I had hoped for the sign to be taken out by fireworks, but no such luck! :-)

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

more off topic. How long until your building goes under the wraps?

On topic - Can anyone think of the last building built in Victoria with Steel Frame Construction?

It has a whole new look!

#57 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

more off topic. How long until your building goes under the wraps?

No clue; hopefully soon, because it needs it (the actual work *and* a better look). But the longer it takes, the longer until the $OUCH$ happens... :(

#58 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Do u have a pic of your building Walter?

#59 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

Do u have a pic of your building Walter?

I do not... if the weather improves, I'll see what I can do!

#60 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

Can anyone think of the last building built in Victoria with Steel Frame Construction?

I think First Island Financial and the Centra Gas building or whatever it is now are steal frame.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users