APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

I guess I should mention on here that the plan for this building is steel frame contruction. Apparently it vasty speeds up the constuction process.

G-man: where are you getting your information on this project, since the development's website has so few details at the moment. Has this project been given the "go-ahead" by the city or is it still in the planning stages like The Hudson and The Well developments?

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:39 PM

I got it at the public meeting last night. This project has not even been to the planning department yet.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

I guess I need to get out more. Maybe one of my neighbours will remind me of the next public meeting in regards to the developments that planned virtually in my back yard... which I favour... no NIMBY am I.

#64 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how steel construction differs as opposed to steel and concrete? Is one better than the other? I have never heard of this, althought I suppose some buildings look different than others when they are being built. I for one am really excited for this project. If the developers get their wish at 15 stories this will be Victoria's highest office building! And the living wall sounds great. I hope to see a rendering soon.

Aaron

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:32 AM

They said the building process is much faster and becasue they are trying to be a LEED Certified building Steel is better for the environment.

It has a whole new look!

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

...and its much more cost-effective.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Steel building construction uses steel beams instead of concrete columns to create the vertical height (sort of like an Erector Set), the floors and elevator shaft will still be concrete.

Steel has a high recycled content which is good for LEED, plus they are able to build much faster, apparently as little as a few months for getting the overall structure done once they are out of the ground.

#68 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

But my understanding is that steel construction is only viable at 6 storeys or over... which is part of why the idea of a 5 storey limit on Humbolt Valley made me twitch.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#69 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi guys,

Check out http://www.gatewaygreen.ca

There is a new rendering as well as some updated info to look at. This is a great looking building. What do you all think?

Aaron

#70 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

^ Thanks for the info! Here is the rendering. It looks quite modern.

Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#71 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

Definately different...I think I would have preferred to see some more curved glass. Though it not a big long retangle! I guess I am waiting for a nicely designed cured glass building!!!

#72 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

I think it looks great. This building does have a ton of glass and the living wall is awesome.

It has a whole new look!

#73 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

Even better than I was hoping for!

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

Not bad for an office building for Victoria. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Wasn't the original proposal 15-storeys?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

^ The walls are alive?

OK, like the green is alive, ivy type thing, or for quicker effect, is it brushed on like a Chia Pet?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:04 AM

Haha...

Know it all.

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:04 AM

Looks good.

I wonder, is that very top portion an occupiable floor? If not it looks like only 13 floors.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

I just read the press release and it says the tower is 16-storeys...perhaps 15 real stores + the unmarked 13th, bringing the top floor to 16, but that doesn't account for the rendering showing less.

If there is a floor above the highest visible in the rendreing then it'd be a pretty small floorplate.

Know it all.

#79 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

^ The walls are alive?

OK, like the green is alive, ivy type thing, or for quicker effect, is it brushed on like a Chia Pet?

Like the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris:

http://archiguide.fr... ... mNou08.jpg
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#80 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

^pretty soon we will be working alongside Tarzan and Jane in office buildings made out of trees, and we will then have come full circle. I'm still looking for an "environmentally resentful" building.
In chains by Keynes

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users