APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#81 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

I'm thinking that the artist's rendering must be a bit old because at first they wanted a 14 story building and since then have added floors. Anyways, it is nice. It would be quite a prominent building looking south on Blanshard. The people look really small in comparison to the building.

It also reminds me of the computer science building in UVIC and the CRD building as well.

Aaron

#82 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

^yeah, i think they used some skinny midget to show how prominent it will be. It's not a bad looking building, although i'm not really excited about it either. Compared to the CIBC building though, it's an architectural masterpiece, and the city could sure use some more quality office space. It'll sure be sad to see them tear down the Gold's Gym building. :lol:
In chains by Keynes

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

They look quite healthy to me :smt017

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, I think there's a later rendering floating around.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

Maybe one of you shutterbugs could get a shot of the site from the same perspective as shown in the rendering? Should be pretty easy.

#86 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

Woah, I've read the info from the start, but untill I saw a picture it never hit me that this building is cool and a decent size. It's office too! Horray!

has it been approved or anything yet?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#87 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

And, unless my eye for proportions is totally off, and my memory of the size of the lot isn't screwy....
They haven't demanded insane setbacks. This looks pretty close to zero setback!!!

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

This building is at the ealiest of early stages. I don't think it has been to COTW or to any committees so it has a lot of hoops to jump through. They can't really ask for setbacks on this site as it is tight. Still there is a setback between it and First Island that aloows an expansion of the existing public walkway. A secondary walkway to Blanshard was thrown out at the community meeting stage I think.

The top storey is a partial floor an out door patio and also a screen for the elevator housing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

All-in-all a vast improvement over the current eyesore that is the former Gold Gym's building. If the Hudson project goes ahead in a quality fashion across the street, this might end up one of the more attractive and vibrant areas of the emerging "north downtown". Being as both locations are only a 5 minute walk fm my where I live, I am excited to see what unfolds.

#90 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

I know that the old Earl's building is in North Park but I really hope something amazing could get developed there too. I know the zoning is completely different but a nice tall beautiful development could help "visually" tie North Park Manor in with this office building building, The Hudson, and the Well. I am very excited to see the revitalization of North Town. I also use to Work at the old Bay store when I was in College.

#91 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

Ya with this building and the 16 floor North Park Manor a block to the east it's a bit silly to have everything else inbetween zoned at four stories.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

It is zoned at 7 storeys.

It has a whole new look!

#93 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

Good.

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

I wouldn't mind sticking to the height limits there. It would avoid a "wall" of highrises out to North Park Manor. What I find attractive about the Hudson/Gateway Green projects is it will create a nice cluster of height.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#95 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

That cluster could easly carry over to the east side of Blanshard St to the Earls Site. My concerns are having a wall of high rises on the west side of Blanshard with low rises on the east side of Blanshard st.

#96 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

I doubt it will go higher than 7 storeys on that site.

It has a whole new look!

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

CH News had a story on this project tonight. I was anxious to see it because they said "...and we have the plans".

But when the segment aired the only shot of the building was a screenshot from the Gateway Green page from this site!

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

A screenshot taken from within VibrantVictoria.ca?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#99 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

It looked like it. It was a low-res image and I could see Gateway Green above it in maroon letters. Maybe it'll be on tonight's news.

Vibrant Victoria. Where the News goes to get the news!®©™

#100 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

So what did they say about it? What was the tone of the piece?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users