APPROVED
Gateway Green
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1620 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Gateway Green is a proposal for a 15-storey, 145,000 square foot office complex on Blanshard Street at Fisgard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Gateway Green on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Gateway Green | Office | 58m | 15-storeys | Approved

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#521 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

...Madoff, out of touch with reality, objected to the Row development because it would replace vacant, decrepit and worthy of demolition single-family homes close to downtown. That stance just doesn't make sense any more, but she likely doesn't realize it and believes her opinion still carries weight.

She may realize it, but probably doesn't care. She knows she'll get re-elected regardless. Term limits NOW!

#522 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

aastra, on 02 Sept 2017 - 1:14 PM, said:

...A better site than Gateway Green's lot...

My guess is that the Gateway Green site will eventually become a residential tower with ground floor commercial/retail.

• 2F2R likes this

#523 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

Unless the listing simply expired, it appears that this property has been sold.  Can someone confirm who purchased the site?  Given its location, I can definitely imagine that Townline would be interested...

• Nparker likes this

#524 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

The owners of this site have applied to the city for a temporary use permit to demolish the existing structure and convert the entire site into a surface parking lot.

#525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

As per the Citified article

..."Lee...anticipates demand for the tower to materialize within several years at which point the upcoming surface parking lot will make way for construction...

Any idea how long "several" years may be? This corner is far too high profile to be left as a parking lot for any extended period of time.

#526 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

I was initially enraged with the idea of victoria taking a step backwards in the war against surface parking, but there's probably some very sound reasons for this.  If you have an idea you'll be demolishing this building in a few years anyways but the existing building might need an expensive upgrade or renovation to continue use then it probably works out far better to just demo it and earn some money off parking.  They were probably at this stage years ago when Gateway Green was first proposed and were maintaining the building only minimally, and now it's past due.  

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#527 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Yes, it is absolutely past-due. Travis Lee described it as at its "life's end."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#528 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:20 PM

Well they have been trying to lease the proposed building for over 10 years and the retail and office market demand is low and has been for several years.  Not surprised its becoming a parking lot to cut down on property taxes and create some income.  Quick math puts the property taxes at around $91k per year

Maybe the city should buy the lot and built a multi storey parkade?

#529 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:06 PM

Did we know that a Temporary Use Permit has been submitted and approved for the site to demolish the existing structure and put 62 parking spaces in its place? And that the City also requested as part of this approval that Tri-Eagle explore placing modular housing on the site rather than parking?

I see that we were aware of the parking piece, but the modular housing is news to me.

Edited by shoeflack, 17 December 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#530 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

...the City also requested as part of this approval that Tri-Eagle explore placing modular housing on the site rather than parking...

:whyme:

• DavidSchell likes this

#531 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

As per the Citified article

Any idea how long "several" years may be? This corner is far too high profile to be left as a parking lot for any extended period of time.

Temporary Use Permits are valid for up to 3 years, and can be extended by Council an additional 3 years. After the combined 6 years, it is possible to apply for a brand new TUP, but the applicant runs into the question of just how temporary their proposal really is.

#532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

This corner is far too high profile to be left as a parking lot for any extended period of time

And much, much too high profile to be used as "modular housing". 

#533 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

Mods:  this project is actually a joint development between Tri-Eagle and Jawl Residential (i.e. not just Tri-Eagle).  I wonder if it will be re-configured as a mixed-use Office/Residential building?

See https://tender.victo...816112135273671

• todd likes this

#534 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

Victoria seems to be enjoying a revival re: precious urban open space.* The Fairfield church, Ming's, Gateway Green, Monty's... what else?

*also known as empty lots

#535 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:42 AM

I'm just wondering how long they suppose this will be a parking lot before construction starts. Is there really going to be a huge demand for new office space post-Covid, especially with Telus Ocean coming in a few years? Perhaps it would be wise to switch to residential. Whatever goes here eventually, I hope it's relatively tall. Hudson Place One looks lonely when you view the skyline from the waterfront. This particular stretch of Blanshard should really be built up to match the presence of the Hudson District.

• Nparker likes this

#536 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

I'm just wondering how long they suppose this will be a parking lot before construction starts. Is there really going to be a huge demand for new office space post-Covid, especially with Telus Ocean coming in a few years? Perhaps it would be wise to switch to residential. Whatever goes here eventually, I hope it's relatively tall. Hudson Place One looks lonely when you view the skyline from the waterfront. This particular stretch of Blanshard should really be built up to match the presence of the Hudson District.

Don't worry, HP2 will be almost the same height as HP1 due to the grade difference...

post-3717-0-74801200-1555449510.png

#537 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

Victoria seems to be enjoying a revival re: precious urban open space.* The Fairfield church, Ming's, Gateway Green, Monty's... what else?

*also known as empty lots

This is a great fear of mine (I'm easily frightened). The once nearly banished parking lots will make a resurgence across the downtown landscape. Major out of town players like Starline could tear down buildings, leaving the land fallow for years or decades as they wait for market conditions to improve. The dead land is used as leverage to get their proposals pushed through - although others will cry for the land to remain in it's new natural state as native flora and fauna flock to the fine fields FFS.

Worse case scenario that hopefully doesn't come true.
  • aastra and Nparker like this

#538 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

Mayfair Lanes

mayfair2.jpg

mayfair1.JPG

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#539 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Don't worry, HP2 will be almost the same height as HP1 due to the grade difference...

post-3717-0-74801200-1555449510.png

Oh yes, I know, but I'd like to see a skyline that gradually works up to HP1 and HP2. As it stands, HP1 looks about double the height of anything else in its vicinity when viewed from Vic West and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Putting another building of nearly identical height doesn't achieve that effect. I think the area needs another couple buildings are either five storeys higher or lower than HP1.

#540 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:55 PM

The original plan called for three towers staggered in height. That was a significant justification for the height of the tallest tower.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users