Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#521 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:25 PM

Aren't the high seas beyond Canada's territorial jurisdiction?

1. high seas - the open ocean, especially that not within any country's jurisdiction.

• Mike K. likes this

#522 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

This YouTube video is pretty step-by-step on establishing a micronation: https://youtu.be/ZpblP61AYAc

#523 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

Yes, but these guys are in the foreshore, which is leased by the municipality, and over which they have regulatory rights in any event. If the liveaboards moved to a location more than 300 m. from the tidal high water point, then Saanich couldn't touch them. However, given they are a raft-up, likely a navigation hazard if they move farther off the shore, so the Coast Guard would be after them. What do you bet they don't have any holding tanks?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#524 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

Yes, but these guys are in the foreshore, which is leased by the municipality, and over which they have regulatory rights in any event. If the liveaboards moved to a location more than 300 m. from the tidal high water point, then Saanich couldn't touch them. However, given they are a raft-up, likely a navigation hazard if they move farther off the shore, so the Coast Guard would be after them. What do you bet they don't have any holding tanks?

Your not wrong I'm sure the goal is to push the housing challenged "riff raff" out into open waters where they would be at the mercy of the seas and likely subject to torpedo practice from the navy. 

And if you don't think any of the aging properties along the waterfront aren't leaking sewage from old septic fields right into the tidal zone I have a nice non windy tent site on clover point to sell you

#525 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

You’re probably not wrong about the septic leaks, UP.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#526 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:00 PM

The Dead Boat Removal Society must have got more grant money, they were back in Fulford harbour last week clearing out yet more junk. They spent some serious time out there last year getting rid of old junk too.

https://www.abandoneddreams.ca/

Last week they took this beauty and some smaller boats out as well. Nice to clean things up a little.6E0DC3C6-FCB3-4CB9-B3F8-CFA184B52E72.jpeg

Matt.
  • todd and Dr. Barillas like this

#527 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

The woman living on board a floating structure consisting of several boats in violation of a North Saanich order to lift anchors says she plans to leave the water off Lillian Hoffar Park but probably not until the end of May.

“We are trying to move them, but my husband (Stewart Jackson) is in the hospital,” said Diana Junus Thursday morning, a day after the deadline imposed by the District of North Saanich for the couple to vacate the waters.

Speaking from one of the boats, Junus said her husband has been in hospital since February and recovering after having “almost died” of sepsis. She said it is not clear when he would return. (In an interview last year, Jackson revealed that he has been suffering from a number of health issues, having also undergone an amputation of one of his legs).

“We are going to be moving them, but I can’t do it by myself,” said Junus, who expects to leave the waters by the end of May but doesn’t know where she will be going to.

“If I lose this, I’m out of a house. I don’t have anywhere to go.”

https://www.vicnews....-north-saanich/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 May 2021 - 07:29 AM.

#528 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

Love that little park. The entrance is kind of hidden, with only a few parking spots. From there is a lovely walk through a forested area, out to more of an expansive few of the water in the east. Lots of places to sit and enjoy the view. And yup these folks were there last time I was there. Slightly more modest boat than the ones the marinas you can see from the shore line there.

#529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:54 AM

The Songhees First Nation is spearheading a drive to take more derelict boats out of the water while providing jobs and training for other nations on the South Island.

About 100 abandoned and sunken vessels are expected to be removed over the next nine months through the Salish Sea Marine Stewardship Project.

The province has provided $2 million through its Clean Coast, Clean Water Initiative to fund the project, led by the Songhees Development Corporation, Salish Sea Industrial Services and the Dead Boats Disposal Society.

Salish Sea Industrial Services is a marine construction business jointly owned by the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations in partnership with the Ralmax Group.

It operates a 145-foot barge and 150-tonne crawler crane that lifts boats out of the water and hauls them to home base at Point Hope Maritime on the Upper Harbour, where they are broken down in a containment area. Stainless steel pieces, batteries, hull windows, engines, wood, plastics and hydrocarbons are recycled, and the rest — the bulk of it fibreglass — is hauled to the landfill.

https://www.timescol...oats-1.24316881

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2021 - 04:54 AM.

#530 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:37 PM

Several boats in violation of a North Saanich order remain moored off Lillian Hoffar Park almost two months after the municipality told them to sail off.

On April 6, the District of North Saanich issued a notice to the owners of the boats to vacate the waters off the park by April 28. A couple — Diana Junus and Stewart Jackson — had been living on and off the boats, which were tied together into a floating structure for several years.

—————

The April 28 deadline came and went without any action and nearly a month later, the boats remain in place.

https://www.vicnews....-notice-issued/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#531 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:46 AM

hard to know what to make of this story.

Canadian Coast Guard destroys Indigenous man's boat, then sues to cover $8,500 bill

first of all, the story fails to outline the exact timeline of events.  sounds like the boat was left there for at least weeks, probably months.

https://www.timescol...bill-1.24327214

Tom Puglas, 76, of the Mamalilikulla First Nation, said it all began on a 2017 salmon fishing trip. When his 39-foot wood-hulled gillnetter broke down, he moored it along the outside finger of a dock in Port McNeill.

Unable to find the parts he needed, he drove more than 3 1/2 hours to Nanaimo.

“I brought my parts down to work on my engine and the boat just wasn’t there,” said Puglas from his home in Campbell River.

sounds bad right?  he drove 3.5 hours for parts, came back and the ship was gone.  but later in the article:

“They didn’t phone me or anything,” he said. “I checked it maybe once or twice every week or two. The last time I tried to check, it wasn’t there.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 June 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:08 AM

Saanich calls for opening of marine borders by summer 2022

https://www.vicnews....by-summer-2022/

*** searches for saanich's bustling marine industry **** (finds none)

for a municaplity with so much shoreline does saanich even have a marina or a boat ramp?

it looks as though a guy could built a marina at with breakwater cordova bay.

https://webapp.navio...&key=im_gHtq}oV

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2021 - 10:15 AM.

#533 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:11 AM

At Telegraph Cove, and at Elk Lake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#534 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:16 AM

At Telegraph Cove, and at Elk Lake.

last time i launched my salmon-fishing boat at elk lake i came up empty.  mostly because i could not find the river to get me to the ocean.

if i can't find that river with all my high-tech gear what chance do the spawning salmon have?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2021 - 10:17 AM.

• todd likes this

#535 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:38 AM

last time i launched my salmon-fishing boat at elk lake i came up empty.  mostly because i could not find the river to get me to the ocean.

if i can't find that river with all my high-tech gear what chance do the spawning salmon have?

“Salmon Use Magnetic Field–Based Internal Maps to Find Their Way”: https://www.scientif...find-their-way/

They have better technology and therefore more intelligent.

Edited by todd, 17 June 2021 - 10:41 AM.

#536 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:53 AM

Isn’t Telegraph Cove up island?

Also the river from Elk Lake comes out of Beaver Lake to the ocean. You will need a very small boat.

#537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:27 AM

Negative, it's at the end of Telegraph Bay Road.

I use it to launch my trawler, which I then sail to Saanichton Bay and make my way up the creek. With a little bit of speed and luck you can make it to Elk Lake.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

when the snowpack is at maximum melt maybe.

I will warn you though, bring your trawl lines up when you enter the creek. you don’t want to end up with too much dolphin by-catch.

#539 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:44 AM

It used to be that at 6AM-8AM you'd get the sewage rush, which would raise the creek by several feet. Now you have to wait for heavy rains when the storm drains connected to sewer pipes overflow.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#540 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:00 PM

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

There is no boat ramp at the end of Telegraph Bay Road.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users