BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

^ Geezus Bernard.....how do you store that stuff?

Thanks for that....nicely done.

You wouldn't by any chance have an opinion on the upcomming renewal of the Columbia River Treaty would you???

The "Canadian Entitlement" clause was one that WAC Bennett was looking forward to from his grave....but I am afraid that the Liberals are about to sweep that gem out without letting us know how stupid we are.

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Personally, if I were in control, I would keep the grid in public hands but sell all the generating capacity and allow a free market in sales of power to the public. The public could choose who they buy power from and sell power into the grid. The province would get a lot of cash to pay off some of our debts and collect more in taxes than they ever get from BC Hydro now.

Is this sort of what Ontario has done?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

I store this because it is very relevant to my working life. I also consulted for Hydro for awhile and I was less than impressed with the corporate culture.

Ontario allows for some reverse metering but I am not a fan of their system. They offer a HUGE subsidy for solar energy and can only do so as long as not many people take advantage of that. I would favour a flat rate for all power fed into the grid by the public and I would set that rate at 75% of the average rate BC Hydro charges for power. This should allow enough margin to ensure there are no added costs for the company.

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

I spend enough time on other forums to know that many people dont like Ontario's private power system. Endless stories of slimeball door to door energy salespeople trying to sign people up for the next big scam in energy services.

Just google "summit energy scam" and you'll see what I mean.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

I spend enough time on other forums to know that many people dont like Ontario's private power system. Endless stories of slimeball door to door energy salespeople trying to sign people up for the next big scam in energy services.

Just google "summit energy scam" and you'll see what I mean.

This is a problem and there are examples out there where things have been done better. There needs be a good regulatory framework in place before you do it.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

During Earth Hour:

B.C. Hydro said British Columbians saved almost twice as much power during the event as last year. Earth Hour conserved 117-megawatt hours of electricity, reducing the provincial load by 1.8 per cent. That’s the equivalent of turning off about 7.8 million 15-watt fluorescent light bulbs.

Article

During Hockey Finals:

During Game 6 Monday night, BC Hydro reported an average of 4 per cent reduction in the provincial electricity use for the duration of the game. The highest reduction of the playoffs, 5.6 per cent, was during Game 3 of the Canucks vs. Boston Bruins Stanley Cup playoff final.

Article

Saving the planet, one Earth Hour hockey game at a time.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Saving the planet, one Earth Hour hockey game at a time.

:)

I wonder how much energy was required to pump out several million liters of additional beer consumed during a game?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

I was surprised to learn that there are some parts of BC where you have to buy power from Fortis and you can't buy it from BC Hydro.

Sounds too much like privatization to me.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

I was surprised to learn that there are some parts of BC where you have to buy power from Fortis and you can't buy it from BC Hydro.

Sounds too much like privatization to me.

Nothing new there Seb, that's the old Kootenay Power and Light that has been privately owned for decades.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

There has never been public power in south east BC, it has always been private.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

There has never been public power in south east BC, it has always been private.

Who generates it?

#32 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Who generates it?

It comes from many sources, their own, BC Hydro, Alberta and the states.

Fortis is also one of the longest standing IPPs in BC and have sold power to BC Hydro for decades in parts of the province where they do not have a distribution network.

Fortis also has a different rate structure than BC Hydro. They are also not part of the smart meter thing.

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

I think if we took everything in Bernard's brain and emailed it to Wikipedia we'd crash their servers.

#34 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

I think if we took everything in Bernard's brain and emailed it to Wikipedia we'd crash their servers.

Only when it concerns lands and resources in BC.....

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'm curious - I know our energy distribution infrustracture is outdated and in need of upgrading, but why are smart meters a requirement for this?

Surely a billion dollars is better spent on larger parts of the distribution system and not on individual meters, no? I don't understand the system enough to know why this may not be the case.

The only reason I can think of is the implementation of TOU billing, which BCH says they're not going to do. I don't see how they'll be able to resist the temptation once everyone has been smart-metered.

Well that and the ability to remotely control a customer's appliance...

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

They will be able to turn your air conditioner off. :)

The way I see it, they will be able to terminate all of the meter reader guys. I wonder how much they spend on wages in a year?

#37 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

The Canadian Press article states that BC Hydro will save $1.6 billion by switching to smart meters. Motivation enough?

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

And those savings are going to come from where exactly? Surely the meter readers aren't paid that much...

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

Yes, but here is an article by Rafe Mair that suggests why the need to save that money.

[...]Mark down August 12, 2011 as the day BC Hydro all but concluded its suicide mission, with the Campbell/Clark government and the Review Panel playing the role of Dr. Jack Kervorkian.[...]

http://thecanadian.o...blic-power-rafe

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

I think the news of the teleconference statement by the CEO that they want to terminate a bunch of IPP agreements is where they can save a bundle.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users