BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

^ The BCUC indeed said in its report that if the government wanted to keep rates down they could forego their dividend.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#442 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Frankly I am less concerned about the freeze and more concerned about the tier 2 pricing.  I don't have access to gas so my options are oil or electric heat and chose the later for many reasons including that electricity is very environmentally friendly in BC.  My latest hydro bill is $1000 with my electric heat pumps

Ever thought about using wood for heat? We’ve saved hundreds of dollars this winter.

Matt.

#443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Just wait for the taxes on wood burning stoves. They’re coming.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#444 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Paid plenty of tax on my new stove and install, though I was surprised there was no “carbon tax” or “recycle fee” on the unit itself.

I guess a carbon tax doesn’t really apply since burning wood is carbon neutral.

We’ll save probably $600 a year on hydro for heating, maybe more.

Matt.

#445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

You wanna bet? Feast your eyes on this: https://www.naturaln...government.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#446 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, there are some reals stinkers out there. Modern stoves, properly used, are very efficient and clean.

Matt.

#447 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Any writer who cites 'Agenda 21' immediately loses huge amounts of credibility, as far as I'm concerned...

• Coreyburger, Matt R. and nerka like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#448 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Frankly I am less concerned about the freeze and more concerned about the tier 2 pricing.  I don't have access to gas so my options are oil or electric heat and chose the later for many reasons including that electricity is very environmentally friendly in BC.  My latest hydro bill is $1000 with my electric heat pumps

Anyway, when is the next election again?  Can't wait to boot the NDP from power!

I reiterate "they should be providing incentives for us to use electricity, and get us off fossil fuels."

If I have to replace my heat pump I'm going to switch my furnace (backup electric) over to gas and replace the heat pump with an A/C unit.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#449 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Any writer who cites 'Agenda 21' immediately loses huge amounts of credibility, as far as I'm concerned...

No, it’s coming. I think the EPA is aiming for the 2 gram thing by 2020, Canada soon to follow probably.

https://www.pacifice...2gramemissions/

We run our stove at about 550 degrees and it’s rated for about 3 grams per hour, which seems like literally nothing. Open fireplaces might be 100 grams per hour or more.

The person who bought our previous rental on salt spring posted on Facebook her shock at this winters hydro bills, over $900 per cycle during the winter. Big, old picture windows with the ocean view, big open living space... no kidding they are high. Our bills at our current place, with more square footage, are half.

Matt.

#450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

There’s nothing conspiratorial about the agenda. It is a UN action plan that was introduced in 1992 and it drafts how communities, government districts and countries ought to develop in accordance with pro-environment principles.

Restrictions on fuel to heat your home (check), the control of water to unbuilt areas (check), the proliferation of clustered, high-density housing (check), tolls and taxation for outlying infrastructure usage (check), and on and on. It’s all happening, more in some regions, less in others, there’s an ebb and a flow, but the direction is clear.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#451 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

Crappy wood stoves are a huge source of air pollution in built up areas.    More and more we are realizing how harmful those microparticles really are and how much they are costing us in healthcare costs.    Good thing they are getting phased out. 

• jonny and nerka like this

#452 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

Do you live in a house made of paper?   My bill is $420 for the two coldest months and that is charging a vehicle and with inefficient baseboards heating the downstairs for a person that is home 90% of the time.   

• lanforod likes this

#453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

Crappy wood stoves are a huge source of air pollution in built up areas. More and more we are realizing how harmful those microparticles really are and how much they are costing us in healthcare costs. Good thing they are getting phased out.

Oh yeah, there’s no doubt about that.

Know it all.

#454 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Do you live in a house made of paper? My bill is $420 for the two coldest months and that is charging a vehicle and with inefficient baseboards heating the downstairs for a person that is home 90% of the time.

There is also a thing called level billing. My bill is the exact same thing every month except the last, where I pay any overage/ get rebated for any shortage on the last month of every year.
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#455 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

Ever thought about using wood for heat? We’ve saved hundreds of dollars this winter.

Matt.

Its expensive to install a chimney on a new house plus its very complicated to meet the energy requirements/insulation around a chimney.  They are a huge heat loss when not in use

Do you live in a house made of paper?   My bill is $420 for the two coldest months and that is charging a vehicle and with inefficient baseboards heating the downstairs for a person that is home 90% of the time.   

New 7000sf house with all the latest energy codes plus a hot tub.  I leave the house heated at a constant temperature 24/7

• Matt R. likes this

#456 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

You don't get to complain about electricity costs when you heat 7000 sq ft and don't even bother using smart thermostats to lower temps at night.

• Matt R. and LeoVictoria like this

#457 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

New 7000sf house with all the latest energy codes plus a hot tub.  I leave the house heated at a constant temperature 24/7

Life's rough all over, eh?

• Matt R. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#458 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Its expensive to install a chimney on a new house plus its very complicated to meet the energy requirements/insulation around a chimney.  They are a huge heat loss when not in use

Was that $1k for one month or two?

#459 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Life's rough all over, eh?

Life is one of the toughest

#460 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Bahahahahaha!

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users