Photo

BC Hydro - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#461 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

You don't get to complain about electricity costs when you heat 7000 sq ft and don't even bother using smart thermostats to lower temps at night.

With heat pumps you set the temperature you want and forget about it.  Yes I have smart thermostats and tried to vary the temperature depending on when I was home and then heat it up again when I got back.  I did an experiment and turned down the temp when I was asleep and away and the next day full temps 24/7.  I checked my smart meter consumption online and its the same cost

Plus I get a toasty house when I get up to go to the bathroom even if my heated bathroom floors are also on

Was that $1k for one month or two?

#462 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

I agree, heat pumps take forever to heat up a house if you dropped the temp overnight. I drop mine to 65F overnight and then 72F in the morning. Problem is the smart thermometers measure the outside temp and then determine how long it will take to get the house up to 72F. If it is quite cold outside the thermostat decides that as soon as the house gets to about 68F they kick in the heat pumps because they know it will take 5-6 hours to get you back up to 72F.

I had a gas furnace in my last house in the lower mainland with a multi speed fan and burner. It would bring the house up to temp in 20 minutes with the high speed fan and full burner and then keep it there all day with a quarter speed fan and burner.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#463 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

Your hydro bill was less per square foot than my condo...lol

$1,000 / 7,000 = $0.14 / sq ft

Ours most recent bill was $145 / 817 = $0.18 / sq ft

#464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

I still can't help but think how easy we have it here. Folks anywhere else in this country are paying $500+ per month for six months of the year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#465 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Good idea to have gas in your house as well. Then you can switch between hydro or gas depending on what is cheaper at the time.
When it’s cold out I bias the thermostat towards using the gas furnace as it seems to be cheaper than the heat pump (which is less efficient at low temps)

#466 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

^must be nice to have availability of gas

#467 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Now that Site C is going ahead I think BC Hydro should offer incentives to switch to heat pumps from oil/gas/baseboards by excluding the heating load from their Step 2 calculations.    

#468 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Now that Site C is going ahead I think BC Hydro should offer incentives to switch to heat pumps from oil/gas/baseboards by excluding the heating load from their Step 2 calculations.    

omfg yes I get hosed on two tier from my heat pump

#469 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

If BC Hydro doesn't offer incentives, municipalities have the authority to mandate energy efficiency in new construction under the new Step Code

#470 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

I have a mix of gas furnace (and hot water) and electric baseboard.

Furnace for the older main part of the house, baseboard for later additions.

Maybe 10 years ago the monthly payments were about equal.

With the drops in natural gas rates, and increases in Hydro rates, my hydro is now over 3X the natural gas.

Good idea to have gas in your house as well. Then you can switch between hydro or gas depending on what is cheaper at the time.
When it’s cold out I bias the thermostat towards using the gas furnace as it seems to be cheaper than the heat pump (which is less efficient at low temps)

#471 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

About 4,000 customers are without power in Victoria, Saanich and Oak Bay due to downed wires. No further info.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#472 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

Crappy wood stoves are a huge source of air pollution in built up areas.    More and more we are realizing how harmful those microparticles really are and how much they are costing us in healthcare costs.    Good thing they are getting phased out. 

Drive into Cumberland on a still winter night and it's like sticking your head down a chimney. Talk about second hand smoke.  From the amount of smoke and the smell lots of people burning wet wood and a few burning garbage.

#473 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

https://www.bchydro....es/rebates.html

http://oiltoheatpump...entive-details/

#474 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

https://www.bchydro....es/rebates.html

http://oiltoheatpump...entive-details/

Sure but the problem is you get a rebate then they punish you with Step 2 rates. Heating load should not be included in the calculation for Step 2.

#475 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

Heating load should not be included in the calculation for Step 2.

Interesting idea - but how would you put it into practice. BC Hydro doesn't "know" what your heating load is and probably can only guess at what your heat source is.

And to be a devil's advocate - why should I want to subsidize with cheap rates someone with a 6000 sqft house and a heat pump more than someone with a 600 sqft house and baseboards.

#476 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

I still can't help but think how easy we have it here. Folks anywhere else in this country are paying $500+ per month for six months of the year.

I know people living down south who pay $500+ per month for a/c. 

#477 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

And to be a devil's advocate - why should I want to subsidize with cheap rates someone with a 6000 sqft house and a heat pump more than someone with a 600 sqft house and baseboards.

why should I subsidize someone who has an all electric car that is not contributing taxes to roads, etc?

why should I subsidize someone who is burning wood cut on their property to heat their house and causing significant air pollution?

why should I subsidize the guy on welfare who doesn't get a job when he is perfectly capable?

this list is endless

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#478 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

^ Indeed
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#479 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

why should I subsidize someone who has an all electric car that is not contributing taxes to roads, etc?

why should I subsidize someone who is burning wood cut on their property to heat their house and causing significant air pollution?

why should I subsidize the guy on welfare who doesn't get a job when he is perfectly capable?

this list is endless

If you don't have natural gas, then electric heat pump is already your cheapest "fuel" for heating in southern BC. There is no good argument to subsidize something that is already the cheapest option. Subsidize the install by all means as that is an expensive obstacle for some people.

#480 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

$800 off a $20,000 bill is not likely to motivate many folks.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users