Photo

Spinnakers | Victoria | 308 Catherine St.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Please continue the discussion on tipping in this new thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't know what the kitchen staff at Spinnaker's are doing, but they should keep it up! Finally my local pub has fare with many local ingredients that is presented well and tastes great.

Two meals I've had there over the last month or so have been exemplary and far from the drab food that Spinnaker's had become known for over the years. When I mentioned this to the server she said that several people had recently approached her with the same feedback.

Anyway, hats off to the crew for making a turn around. I hope things stay at this level from now on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

^ I completely agree! While I don't have history with this place, we've been there three times since we arrived (moving and unpacking tends to make you thirsty for BEER) and the food has been great. I've posted a few dish pics on forkjoy.com, their chicken fettuccine is particularly good. :cheers:

https://forkjoy.com/...ken-forestiere

#44 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Their daily pub pies are always different and always amazing

#45 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

We had a meal at Spinnaker's in September. It was mid week, we arrived early for a window seat just prior to sunset. Service was nicely cadenced, and food was simply delicious. By the time we left, the place was packed. We look forward to returning. :thumbsup:

#46 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

Has anyone mentioned Spinnakers is opening a mini restaurant/pub at the airport?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Another one, not just On the Fly air side but another restaurant?

Know it all.

#48 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Used to be a big fan of this spot, though recently it has become quite boring. I think it's time for a menu update/change and possibly some new chairs that don't feel like they're going to crumble beneath you.

I also overheard the growler filling woman tell a man to make sure he cleans his growlers with soap. Sacrilege.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#49 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Used to be a big fan of this spot, though recently it has become quite boring. I think it's time for a menu update/change and possibly some new chairs that don't feel like they're going to crumble beneath you.

I also overheard the growler filling woman tell a man to make sure he cleans his growlers with soap. Sacrilege.

Had a business lunch there with a client in the fall; it was ok but as I recall we weren't overwhelmed.

I think if the menu were a bit more mainstream rather than trying to be what I will term "nouveau West Coast el Snob" it be might better served. Then again that is purely my opinion as I tend to be much more of a fan of old style "just like mom made it" meatloaf, steamed veggies and garlic mashed potato's rather than "chicken liver mousse" or "goat cheese and beet salad" or "mushroom and beer pizza".

Once upon a time they featured one of the very best Baron of Beef sandwiches in Victoria, circa 2008-ish. Perhaps they thought it was too pedestrian an offering since I noted with regret that it was no longer on the menu. It should be...and it should be on there waaaaay in advance of one current option, "Roasted Yarrow Lake Duck Breast with pickled BC Cherries". IMO at any rate....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 06 March 2015 - 02:59 PM.

• LJ, Bingo and Dr. Barillas like this

#50 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Had a business lunch there with a client in the fall; it was ok but as I recall we weren't overwhelmed.

I think if the menu were a bit more mainstream rather than trying to be what I will term "nouveau West Coast el Snob" it be might better served. Then again that is purely my opinion as I tend to be much more of a fan of old style "just like mom made it" meatloaf, steamed veggies and garlic mashed potato's rather than "chicken liver mousse" or "goat cheese and beet salad" or "mushroom and beer pizza".

Once upon a time they featured one of the very best Baron of Beef sandwiches in Victoria, circa 2008-ish. Perhaps they thought it was too pedestrian an offering since I noted with regret that it was no longer on the menu. It should be...and it should be on there waaaaay in advance of one current option, "Roasted Yarrow Lake Duck Breast with pickled BC Cherries". IMO at any rate....

Wait you think SPINNAKERS has too much of a noveau snobby menu? SPINNAKERS?

Haha, that is the most Victoria complaint I've heard lately  :)

• Rob Randall likes this

#51 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

^And that's why God created J.J. Morgan and the Apple Tree.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#52 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

^And that's why God created J.J. Morgan and the Apple Tree.

Wouldn't know, have never been to either. I think my point re: Spinnaker's was fairly clear though. I presume I don't need to spell it out using very small, mono-syllabic words.....

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

SPINNAKERS IS ON FIRE!

Watch live: https://www.facebook...vibrantvictoria

Know it all.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Spinnakers-fire.jpg

Know it all.

#55 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

pics coming in from Prom residents show huge smoke from Spinnakers building.  Gary H may be able to find someone on that side of the building ?

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

Live video:https://www.facebook...54713368114362/

15211689_10209876656446042_2067042674_n.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

:eek:

#58 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

Traditional fall chimney fire. Not sure if the chimney is used for wood only or for cooking too.

Attached Images

• IMG_20161123_134745.jpg

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Traditional fall chimney fire. Not sure if the chimney is used for wood only or for cooking too.

Hopefully damage is limited.

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

The picture in post #56 looks like more than a chimney fire.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users