Photo

[Downtown Victoria] View/Vancouver condos | 14-storeys | Canceled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#61 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

^ Hmm, interesting question. I don't know -- I'd have to know if that space was opened just for the sake of opening it, or whether it was to reveal something about the underlying (natural) construction/ make-up of that area. AFAIK, that area isn't meant to be traversed, which kind of puts it off-limits. I was thinking more along the lines of actually having an urban infrastructure (walk- or roadway, albeit something you could see through) overlaying the opened up part. So, you'd still use the road or sidewalk, but have this restored piece of ecological working "machinery" (currently covered up) visible. (I mean "machinery" loosely, very loosely, in the sense that a bog or stream fulfils a function, sort of like a pancreas or liver in a body fulfils a function...)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#62 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

After reading the definition of deconstruction in architecture...

@
http://architecture.... ... tivism.htm

I wonder if the public art pieces that Illarian Gallant did for the Douglas St up-grade ( Yates and Douglas) fit that theme...

What is deconstructivism?
Deconstructivism, or Deconstruction, is an approach to building design which attempts to view architecture in bits and pieces. The basic elements of architecture are dismantled. Deconstructivist buildings may seem to have no visual logic: They may appear to be made up of unrelated, disharmonious abstract forms. Deconstructivism ideas are borrowed from the Fench philosopher Jacques Derrida. For examples of Deconstructivism in architecture, look at works by:

Peter Eisenman
Frank Gehry
Richard Meier
Rem Koolhaas

#63 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Check out this sinkhole. http://www.ordena.co...g/sinkhole.html

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

^Wow, that's amazing.

The rehabilitation of the sinking intersection will happen this summer. It will cost about $3 million. Council voted in favour but Geoff Young thought the City should hold off and that we'd be better off not competing just yet in this hot construction market. Councillor Hughes said the estimate was $2 million ten years ago when they first discussed fixing it and they better get to it now before it's $4 million.

There will be an open house held soon so the public can see the plans for tree replacement and sidewalk beautification etc.

#65 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

I thought it was $300,000, not 3 mill?
EDIT: nevermind. 3 mill it is.

#66 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

One intersection... repair and replace only..

1 percent of the planning estimate for the LRT Westshore to Downtown..

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

Why don't we build a mini overpass instead? ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

Why don't we build a mini overpass instead? ;)

Oh we all have to make choices...

Have a peek at the 2003 Border Infrastructure program.. mostly Highway stuff.. $121. million... cost shared BC and Canada..

http://www2.news.gov... ... hment2.htm

Just a tad over 40 % of the planning estimate for the LRT between Westshore and Downtown.. and no fare box revenues..

#69 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

I have this fantasy about recreating an urban stream or ravine there(**), with a bridge going over it. Note: I said "fantasy." I know it'll never happen. But it seems crazy that we're looking at fixing this constant sink-hole in a battle against nature, when maybe it would be easier (in a way) to go with the flow, let that area be what it wants to be (isn't it a covered up stream/ waterbed that flows to the harbour, exiting near Market Square?). Open it up, put a bridge type structure over the intersection, and turn it into an attraction? It could be a public art work, a nature study project, a piece of urban engineering, a -- dare I say? -- tourist attraction.

The raccoons would love it...

(**) EDIT: by "there," I don't mean the building lot, I mean the intersection (View & Vancouver).

I love that idea!

I love it too. Why not open it up and remind people of what is there.

#70 valdez12

valdez12
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

This site is for sale now:

http://www.colliersm... ... Street.pdf

Anyone got a spare 7 million burning a hole in their pocket??? lol

So any site work on the site now might be just standard testing (environmental and soil geology) and or surveyors... does'nt mean anything's going up soon.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

Probably all for the best. No need to rush things.

#72 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

Did anyone catch this rather picturesque letter to the editor (T-C) on September 9/07? I confess to not having been alive during the time the letter writer is referencing. Sounds absolutely wild, though:

Parrot took role of intercom, cellphone
Times Colonist
Published: Sunday, September 09, 2007

When I was growing up in Victoria in the 1920s and 1930s, there was a stream that ran along the north side of View Street behind where London Drugs is now.

There were several small homes on that side of the street and most of them had little bridges or catwalks to their front doors.

The family that lived directly across from my dad's business, the Pacific Auto Wrecking Company, had a parrot whose favourite perch was on their bridge railing.

[...]

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

http://www.canada.co... ... d8176fd98d

On the topic of activity on that lot: I asked the guys who were putting up a fence around the perimeter what was happening. They didn't have any specific information, but were under the impression that the property was now going to be developed.

Well, I'll wait till the parrot whistles before I believe it! ;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

Huh... I figured when I saw the tractor there that they were starting work on the intersection. I don't think there will be anything on that lot anythime soon as there is quite the anti-everything squad in Regent Towers.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#74 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm sure it's related to the road reconstruction. I drove by there this evening and there was a digger and a bunch of PFC piping on the lot. The road project is a pretty major project, so I'd imagine they'd need a bunch of space for prep and such...hence the cordoned off area the lot.

#75 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

That little letter was awesome! I would love to see a photo of that. Also, did you catch her name?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#76 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

^ Yes, "Ruby may parrot..." sounds fishy!

#77 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Maybe the road reconstruction will eventually motivate the View/Vancouver proposal developer to push ahead.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:59 PM

I don't think they roadwork is having any influence one way or another on this project.

#79 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

From what I heard there is a lawsuit in progress between the owner and developer and it will be years before that is resolved.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Apparently, the property is currently in foreclosure and may be freed up for development in a few months. Colliers has reduced the price to $6 million but that only includes the large parcel (former apartment site and before that Club Sirocco according to the other thread). It doesn't include the smaller lot, the parking lot that fronts Vancouver St.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users