Maritime Museum of BC

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#241 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

tc editorial today says it should be on the water.
  • tedward likes this

#242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

It can be the centre piece of the new Ship Point redevelopment. That'll be breaking ground any day now, right?

#243 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

right after they get the oil industry settlement cheque.

#244 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

The COV couldn't build a major cultural attraction anywhere on its limited waterfront land it if tried.

It'll never happen.

The only thing that's going to get built on waterfront in the COV is more condo's.

#245 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

There are a few other municipalities in the CRD with waterfront and links to the maritime industry. A little element of naval pride might just help move things along.

Perhaps they could get a submarine donated, as they don't appear to spend much time out protecting us. It would be cheaper for the feds to pay for a maritime museum instead of refurbishing them yet again.

• Mike K. likes this

#246 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:51 AM

There are a few other municipalities in the CRD with waterfront and links to the maritime industry. A little element of naval pride might just help move things along.

Perhaps they could get a submarine donated, as they don't appear to spend much time out protecting us. It would be cheaper for the feds to pay for a maritime museum instead of refurbishing them yet again.

Actually, you touch on an extremely interesting idea ... which is moving the planning, funding, and (hopefully) eventual project in its entirety over to Esquimalt.

Now there's a town with a serious maritime history!

Edited by Cassidy, 07 February 2019 - 11:51 AM.

#247 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

A future Esquimalt-based museum could get a real leg up by having half the RCN pull up to the front door seeking admission as displays, so old is most of the fleet. Certainly the Sea Kings, which were a naval asset and which the Brits parked in museums a decade ago, more than qualify...

In all seriousness DND does have surplus land in Esquimalt much of it waterfront; I'm sure some visionary local politico could approach the navy in regards to kicking a few rocks in regards over a friendly coffee conversation. Then again, Stu Young aside, I can't think offhand of too many local politicians I'd consider "visionary"......

#248 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:20 PM

Can't really argue with the points raised this T-C letter writer, particularly as Halifax was a RN station for nearly a century before Esquimalt:

https://www.timescol...tion-1.23626026

#249 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

A future Esquimalt-based museum could get a real leg up by having half the RCN pull up to the front door seeking admission as displays, so old is most of the fleet.

The Esquimalt base already has a museum.  Has anyone gone to it other than me?  If they built a new larger one, it would be great for Esquimalt, but feasibly how many people would go?   Not the cruise ship tourists.

I'd like to see a maritime museum as a second location of the provincial museum.  Model it after the Halifax maritime museum. 

#250 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

The Esquimalt base already has a museum.  Has anyone gone to it other than me?  If they built a new larger one, it would be great for Esquimalt, but feasibly how many people would go?   Not the cruise ship tourists.

I'd like to see a maritime museum as a second location of the provincial museum.  Model it after the Halifax maritime museum. 

Yup been there a few times; I think the Esquimalt suggestion was at least partially just skyboxing - it seems like such an obvious goal for the CoV and yet here we are still without a proper facility, unlike so many other 'maritime' centers including several cities in Canada far smaller and with less resources than Victoria, and yet which have somehow managed to get their act together.....

We're apparently more focused on suing Oil companies, pulling down statues of old privileged white guys, and protesting against our provincial neighbors (whose primary "dirty" product we actually do need so that our economy can function).

Advocating for something as mundane as a maritime museum just isn't guaranteed to get the same level of media attention to sufficiently advance the agenda's of certain city councilors I guess....

#251 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:43 AM

If only our province had the cojones to do something like this with the Maritime museum on our Wharf st. parking lots: https://www.cbc.ca/n...front-1.5101521 

• tedward likes this

#252 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

The Maritime Museum of B.C. is encouraged by a pledge from Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer to instate a new national museum in Regina, Sask. if his party wins power in the upcoming federal election.

Federal status is the goal of the Victoria, B.C., museum too. In January, executive director David Leverton filed a $45-million proposal with the federal government that would rebrand the current museum.

This would allow the museum access to historical maritime artifacts from the nation's capital and aid tourism, said Leverton. He hopes they will get a signed federal agreement in time to commemorate B.C.'s 150th anniversary of joining the confederation in 2021.

Both Scheer and Leverton argue national museums do not have to be in the nation's capital.

There are currently nine national museums in Canada—one located in Halifax, seven in Ottawa and one in Winnipeg. If successful, the Victoria museum would be the first national maritime museum in the country.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...itime-1.5319283

#253 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

That is a ridiculous plan that will never happen. There is simply no way even if it was a great regional museum that BC would get the national Maritime Museum. It would go here in Halifax... They need to focus on getting a permanent location as the current type of place rather than hoping to win some lottery.

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/
  • tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#254 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose?

More than four years since moving out, organizers hope the Maritime Museum of BC will move back into its long-time abode at 28 Bastion Square...David Leverton, executive director of the Maritime Museum, believes they would be a promising contender...in 1980 the building received national status as the oldest building in BC, and that ideally the Maritime Museum could be moved back in by 2021 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of BC entering the confederation...“The only way we could have a really meaningful look at going back to Bastion Square is by adding on an annex, an addition to Boomerang Court which would ad an additional 12,000 sq. ft....Leverton believes if the Maritime Museum could get national status, more funding would be available to help with costs. In total, he believes that remediation and opening as a national site would cost $45 million...

https://www.vicnews....bastion-square/

#255 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

What were they meaning to say with the following?

...in 1980 the building received national status as the oldest building in BC

#256 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:09 AM

It looks like this has found a home in Langford:

https://www.timescol...seum-1.24083326

#257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:27 AM

It looks like this has found a home in Langford:

https://www.timescol...seum-1.24083326

All they have to do is come up with $60M!

#258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:33 AM

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#259 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:09 AM

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

One of those issues where a politician can take credit for being progressive while knowing that they will never have to deliver on it.

#260 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:19 AM

I am trying to imagine how being at that location would make any sense for the museum and how they expect to raise that much money.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users