Photo

CRD Weekly Water Watch 2010-present: Sooke & Goldstream lakes CRD reservoir levels

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#681 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:21 AM

There used to be lots of Bison and Passenger pigeons. Just because we have it does not mean we should use it.

Water restrictions serve multiple purposes. Are green summer lawns that important in the grand scheme of things?

#682 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:23 AM

No we should let it spill over the dam every year. That's a much better use.

Last I checked water wasn't going extinct. 

#683 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:47 PM

I have publicly heard senior people from the CRD water control section clearly state while there is actually enough water at the moment that the purpose of the restrictions is so that fifty years from now that people will gotten used to conserving. 

The woken dead are amongst us.

• Nparker likes this

#684 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:58 PM

I was told to go home when I suggested we invest into capturing more rainwater.

This is exactly what we should do. Listening to a climate scientist discuss the effects for this region he noted much wetter falls, and drier summers. We should figure out a way to store some of that excess rain in the fall when we’ll really end up needing it in the summer.

Edited by marks_28, 26 November 2021 - 02:00 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#685 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:01 PM

Marks 28: I have heard that there is this new technology referred to as a dam. Beaver engineering has been doing it for a long time.

• Nparker likes this

#686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

There used to be lots of Bison and Passenger pigeons. Just because we have it does not mean we should use it.
Water restrictions serve multiple purposes. Are green summer lawns that important in the grand scheme of things?

They help keep the ambient temperature of a property cooler. That’s why you often see green lawns on properties in the Arizona desert.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:57 PM

Fights global warming.
  • Nparker likes this

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

Lowers earth’s temperature.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#689 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:08 PM

I have publicly heard senior people from the CRD water control section clearly state while there is actually enough water at the moment that the purpose of the restrictions is so that fifty years from now that people will gotten used to conserving. 

Does anyone actually follow the restrictions? I know I don't.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#690 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

Does anyone actually follow the restrictions? I know I don't.

My strata does.

#691 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

Are green summer lawns that important in the grand scheme of things?

A green lawn sequesters carbon.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#692 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

I follow them, but not because of the restrictions. The cost of water here is stupid.

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

It is? I just always assumed it’s one of the lowest on the continent because of our volume of rain.

Know it all.

#694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

I follow them, but not because of the restrictions. The cost of water here is stupid.

Which of course is ridiculous, since we have an abundance of water.

#695 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:47 PM

I think it has more to do with paying for the purchased lands (CRD) to increase reservoir capacity than anything else.  They did not have a funding model beyond rate payers.  They have to muck with the rates to pay for the purchase. 

#696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:12 PM

I think it has more to do with paying for the purchased lands (CRD) to increase reservoir capacity....

So why aren't we seeing an increase in reservoir capacity?

#697 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:33 PM

So why aren't we seeing an increase in reservoir capacity?

We did....we still need to pay for it.

https://www.victoria...lake-reservoir/

The Leech Water Supply Area (9,628 ha) was acquired by the Capital Regional District (CRD) in 
2007 and 2010 to control the use and management of the watershed lands that will provide future 
drinking water supply for the Regional Water Supply system.

https://www.crd.bc.c...fvrsn=ccbacca_2

#698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:29 PM

The CRD has a water management problem, not a water shortage.

#699 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:47 PM

The Leech Water Supply Area (9,628 ha) was acquired by the Capital Regional District (CRD) in 

2007 and 2010 to control the use and management of the watershed lands that will provide future 
drinking water supply for the Regional Water Supply system.

Not likely. The Leech is a wild river, and the turbidity of the water during freshet makes it unsuitable to mix with the water from Sooke Lake. That's why the tunnel from the Leech to Sooke Lake has been blocked up for decades now.
The Leech purchase by CRD Water simply expands their ever widening "buffer" zone ... they were never serious about taking water from the Leech.

The future water supply for Greater Victoria lies in the north end of Sooke Lake, which is many times deeper than the south end of the lake. Once the water from the north end of the lake is tapped, Greater Victoria will have more water than there is available land to expand housing on.

The Leech is just a distraction, it's all about pumping the almost endless supply of water from the north end of Sooke Lake, down to the south end of Sooke Lake.

• Nparker likes this

#700 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:05 AM

A comment like a green lawn sequesters carbon is a very simplistic view. Like most issues the reality it is more complex.

https://www.gardenmy...uce-co2-levels/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users