* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8317 replies to this topic

#5221 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

Even the monstrous one in Duncan is just 17x,000 square feet, if memory serves correct.

You are correct, its either 173k or 176k, I should know I built the damn thing.  it was good exercise building it, so much so I almost bought a golf cart

• Mike K. likes this

#5222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

You are correct, its either 173k or 176k, I should know I built the damn thing. it was good exercise building it, so much so I almost bought a golf cart

No kidding! That store is humongous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5223 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

It amuses me that so many people think they can wish IKEA into coming to the island. Ben Isitt is more likely to run for the People's Party of Canada than the Swedish big box retailer is likely to open in the CRD anytime soon.

I think that misses the point  It's what people want, not what they can have.  

#5224 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,196 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

Quick plug for those Western Star jeans from Costco. Well fitting, small amount of elasticity, actual pockets and man oh man they last a long time! I think mine are pushing a decade.

Bought a couple casual sweaters this winter from Amazon basics, true fitting, low price, probably poorly made but one winter of use and holding up just fine after a dozen washes.

Yes, regular everyday clothing isn’t really available on salt spring. Good selection of high quality outdoor and work wear though.

Matt.

#5225 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

...It's what people want, not what they can have.  

People need to be more realistic about what they want too. I want to be 25 years old again and 6'3" tall this time around. Is it going to happen? No. Dare to dream, but do so with some degree of rationality. Admittedly. this is asking a lot of the residents of the CRD.

#5226 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,818 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

I love both locations of Flavour for men's clothes.
  • Brantastic likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

Colwood’s World Exotic Pets will be closing this month as the owner enters retirement.

The store, situated in a strip mall along Sooke Road at Kelly Road, opened in 1989.

The business had been listed for sale in 2017.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5228 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

People need to be more realistic about what they want too. I want to be 25 years old again and 6'3" tall this time around. Is it going to happen? No. Dare to dream, but do so with some degree of rationality. Admittedly. this is asking a lot of the residents of the CRD.

I disagree,  Dreams should be unfettered.  Leave the pragmatism for reality.

• zenbunny likes this

#5229 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

I'd be thrilled with size 5 or 6 feet. I'm size 4, my grandmother was size 4. Almost impossible to find and when you do, very expensive. And don't mention children's shoes. They're poorly made, uncomfortable and ugly.

• Nparker likes this

#5230 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

...Dreams should be unfettered.  Leave the pragmatism for reality.

If one's "dreams" are about potential retail establishments, I'd say they've already set their imagination bar pretty low.

#5231 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

If one's "dreams" are about potential retail establishments, I'd say they've already set their imagination bar pretty low.

Gatekeeping

#5232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

Downtown Victoria’s Ageless Living market, situated in the 800-block of Johnson Street at Quadra Street, is reportedly closing at the end of the month.

News of the closure comes several months after long-time breakfast eatery Floyd’s Diner shuttered its downtown Victoria location on the opposite end of the block at Quadra and Yates streets.

Know it all.

#5233 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Downtown Victoria’s Ageless Living market, situated in the 800-block of Johnson Street at Quadra Street, is reportedly closing at the end of the month.

News of the closure comes several months after long-time breakfast eatery Floyd’s Diner shuttered its downtown Victoria location on the opposite end of the block at Quadra and Yates streets.

If it wasn't for the obvious drycleaning issues in this area, if someone was able to assemble all these properties as well as the one with the Capital Ballroom, it would make for a lot the same size as the Vivid/YonY lot right next door, but this time with corner lots.

• Nparker likes this

#5234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Forbes doesn’t already have some sort of a plan in place for those parcels.

I had heard some time ago that there’s a real-estate play being lined up there, hence the closures of Floyd’s and now Ageless. I wouldn’t be surprised if Capital Ballroom isn’t forced to move on in a few years as it’s the last piece of the puzzle.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5235 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Forbes doesn’t already have some sort of a plan in place for those parcels.

I had heard some time ago that there’s a real-estate play being lined up there, hence the closures of Floyd’s and now Ageless. I wouldn’t be surprised if Capital Ballroom isn’t forced to move on in a few years as it’s the last piece of the puzzle.

Forbes has an infinite number of plans, it's a question of which ones he has the time and capital to work on!

• Mike K. likes this

#5236 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

Wouldn't they need the dry cleaners as well? It would be a rather awkwardly shaped project without it.

I don't know very much about the rehabilitation of contaminated sites, but wouldn't the soil have to be dug out anyways to make room for a parkade?

#5237 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

I believe the drycleaner parcel has already changed hands, and Forbes would be the likeliest candidate to have purchased it.

• Brantastic likes this

Know it all.

#5238 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

According to Reddit, the new Cascadia liquor store has opened in Quadra Village.

#5239 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

The retirement sale signs have been put into place at the shaver shop. 25% off. Great store, 2nd generation - sad to see something like that go
  • Mike K. likes this

#5240 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

Ambrosia Market/Deli in Oak Bay is now defunct/gone...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users