* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5981 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

Just about money??? Money is why the boats are in business, not just to provide a quaint attraction for tourists to watch but not ride. 

The boats, like the rest of us, are not making any or little money. My landlord has been very understanding of this. Sounds like the GVHA, the boats landlord, is not. 

Lucky for Ralmax, they have deep pockets and have a business that is not likely that affected by the current mess. Probably the money they put up is small change to them. They can afford to wait a few years to see a return on their investment.

#5982 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

According to one of the two co-CEOs this morning on CFAX, it was Ralmax plus two other investors, that she did not want to name, who purchased the business. The initial PR made it sounds like Barry kept 45% of the business but perhaps not.

It is surprising that a deal came together so quickly over the weekend. 

#5983 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

it’s not too complex a business. I’ve always thought that we could use a bit of an adventure excursion tour that goes up the gorge and maybe even over to esquimalt harbour (with bigger ships).

#5984 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

I recall, back-in-the-day, a squeeze deal, not boats, property.  

Party 'A' put up a demand knowing full well the party 'B' will never meet it (nevermind agree).

In the wings, a saviour - a buyer, ready to scoop in and scoop up a deal that otherwise would never had been available for 'sale' and suddenly the original Party 'A' demand...no longer an issue.

hmmm....

#5985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:03 PM

it’s possible. it’s not like the gvha and ralmax are not familiar with one another.

#5986 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM

I recall, back-in-the-day, a squeeze deal, not boats, property.  

Party 'A' put up a demand knowing full well the party 'B' will never meet it (nevermind agree).

In the wings, a saviour - a buyer, ready to scoop in and scoop up a deal that otherwise would never had been available for 'sale' and suddenly the original Party 'A' demand...no longer an issue.

hmmm....

I would think that it would be a very risky move for the GVHA to get involved in a deal like that and Barry would have made a big fuss about it.

#5987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

maybe barry got bought out/off.

#5988 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:08 AM

this business has been here forever.  not sure i've ever stepped foot in it.

$75,000

705 Fort St.

An excellent opportunity to invest in a well established Photo Business in downtown core in Victoria. It is located on a very busy street & surrounded by businesses and offices. Major sales come from taking passport photos, Business portrait studio, Transferring videos etc. Ideal turn key operation and lots of potential to increase the sales. Modern technology makes the work simpler boosts more sales. Training will be provided.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

#5989 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:10 AM

Oh that’s too bad, they took great passport pictures there. I only ever went there. I have a 10 year passport now ... that must be bad for business... and the drop in international travel.

#5990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:12 AM

one day the passport office might discover that they could own the technology to take the photos themselves.

• GaryRanson likes this

#5991 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:14 AM

Didn’t it sell several years ago? When it was run by the Korean fellow it was great. He did a stellar job and always touched up the photos to make them look great. I haven’t heard much about the current owner’s work.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5992 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:17 AM

Vanessa Jewellers on Broad St is closed permanently. They’d been there since 1987.

#5993 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:26 AM

Oh that’s too bad, they took great passport pictures there.

Only the best neutral background - neutral faced photos around.  :D

• A Girl is No one likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5994 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

one day the passport office might discover that they could own the technology to take the photos themselves.

Oh, look who's advocating government expansion by taking over the work of private business.

He did a stellar job and always touched up the photos to make them look great. 

It's true; I saw Mike's passport photo and he has hair like a Korean pop star.

• Mike K., Nparker, Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#5995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

Haha! I didn’t know what the K-Pop Package meant.
  • Matt R. and Greg like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5996 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

Vanessa Jewellers on Broad St is closed permanently. They’d been there since 1987.

From what I am hearing, there are 5-10 businesses a week permanently closing in Victoria. That may slow as things start to pick up or accelerate if subsidies end before business is back to a sustainable level.

#5997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

Does the CoV publish business licensing data?

Know it all.

#5998 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Does the CoV publish business licensing data?

No and when businesses close I don't believe they turn in their old licence.  5-10 businesses a week seems startling depending how far you go back.

Edited by Ismo07, 03 July 2020 - 12:12 PM.

#5999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Interesting. I wonder if that information is FOI-able. It would be interesting to compare the 2020 licenses to 2021.

Know it all.

#6000 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

No and when businesses close I don't believe they turn in their old licence.  5-10 businesses a week seems startling depending how far you go back.

They don't. The only way the City would know if a business closed/moved would be if they didn't renew their license the following year.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users