Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6001 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

Does the CoV publish business licensing data?

Yes, it's on the open data website. Last updated January 2020. http://opendata.victoria.ca
  • Mike K. likes this

#6002 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:32 AM

$115,000

613 Johnson St

"Paradise Boutique" is a women's fashion, swimwear, beachwear business which has been running in Victoria since early 1990's. Ideally located in Victoria's tourist and shopping centre near all the offices, banks and newly built residential towers on the booming downtown area. This turn key business can be easily run by 1 or 2 staff and is a great opportunity for a full time operator on owner.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

#6003 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

does anyone know what modern retail development should look like?

small stores are really a thing of the past aren't they?  is there any growth whatsoever in that area?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 July 2020 - 05:28 AM.

#6004 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:46 AM

Ten years ago our friend Yule posed the same question and used Baggins Shoes on Johnson as an example of a bricks and mortar retail experience that also has a strong online presence. Bottom line, a well-managed store can offer a superior in-person local shopping experience no website can match, especially in an age of overwhelming choice.

https://blogs.harvar...tail-realities/

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Brantastic like this

#6005 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

You have to offer something that is not easily available online. That's hard to do with some products, but even then it is sometimes possible to accomplish with personal service. I think a lot of people still buy bikes locally, because they want the bike setup for them, and they want someone that will service it.

If you can fix things, let me "test drive" things, set things up, maintain things, customize things, tailor things, that's the differentiation for me. If on the other hand you hire people who know less about the product than an online blurb, and provide mediocre customer service, I'm actually fine with you being replaced by an online business.

• jsan and lanforod like this

#6006 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:59 AM

see: Canadian Tire in that last regard.

#6007 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

You have to offer something that is not easily available online. That's hard to do with some products, but even then it is sometimes possible to accomplish with personal service. I think a lot of people still buy bikes locally, because they want the bike setup for them, and they want someone that will service it.

If you can fix things, let me "test drive" things, set things up, maintain things, customize things, tailor things, that's the differentiation for me. If on the other hand you hire people who know less about the product than an online blurb, and provide mediocre customer service, I'm actually fine with you being replaced by an online business.

Add in things that people want now and/or are too expensive to ship to make it economical. That is where Canadian Tire, Costco and Walmart thrive. Almost every product on their shelves fits into one of these categories.

Edited by spanky123, 09 July 2020 - 02:23 PM.

• Nparker and Greg like this

#6008 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

Following on from the Auto Trading thread: Regarding retail in general, I was told that supply lines were fine through the spring because retailers were still pulling stock from suppliers and other warehouses in Canada. As summer arrived, those lines dried up as expected shipments from crippled manufacturing plants in Asia and Europe were still struggling to get up to speed. Some shippers are overwhelmed or have cut back on deliveries so items that used to ship in one or two weeks are now taking two to four weeks.

#6009 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

As someone who is waiting for a personal online retail purchase and shipments from my wholesale suppliers (my suppliers are all in the east of Canada and the USA), and who ships items to customers, I can verify that deliveries are VERY slow at the moment.

#6010 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:16 PM

Yeah we are waiting two months now for some outdoor blinds, fortunately haven't really been needed with this weather so far.

We were in the Lazyboy store Saturday, 14 weeks minimum for delivery.

Edited by LJ, 13 July 2020 - 07:17 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6011 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

On the other hand, a friend of mine ordered a custom ottoman from Dodd's furniture on June 29th and it was ready to be picked up on July 11th.

• Matt R. likes this

#6012 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

I’m looking for a truck canopy and to receive the one I wanted, which was a standard model, would take 8-12 weeks. The salesman said “I’m actually quite confident it’ll be here by nine.”

Gee. Thanks. I didn’t think I was ordering a Tesla.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6013 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

Looking at a door for the house, nothing custom or anything, right out of the catalogue. Six weeks.

Also, why are doors so expensive.

Matt.

#6014 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

a door has to be made with aaa quality dried and aged lumber and cross grain laminated and glued to prevent warping. it’s quite an art to put together a free hanging wood piece like that. all the other wood in your house has multiple fastening points to keep it in check. the door is alone.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#6015 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

Fibreglass. Maybe they don’t make them until they are ordered, who knows. I’ve never bought a door myself before.

Matt.

#6016 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

My purchase from The Brick - made July 3rd - is ready to be delivered today.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6017 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

It looks like the nail salon planned for the site of the former Grocery Plus at View/Quadra isn't going to open.  It appears that work has stopped and the deal may have fallen through (given the pandemic).

#6018 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

It looks like the nail salon planned for the site of the former Grocery Plus at View/Quadra isn't going to open.  It appears that work has stopped and the deal may have fallen through (given the pandemic).

I thought it was going to be an optometry clinic? Lots of interior work had been done to subdivide the space into different rooms.

#6019 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

any word on that safeway for fort street?

#6020 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

My purchase from The Brick - made July 3rd - is ready to be delivered today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users