* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6081 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

It's a lot easier to take it back to Home Depot than to repackage it and go off to the post office to ship it back.

#6082 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

if you order based on your mower model there should be no problem getting the right blade by mail.

#6083 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

I wouldn’t have purchased the universal blade online, is the point. I would have purchased the exact model for my mower, and with the options I wanted to have.

Instead after all of that running around I settled on something that wasn’t ideal but it was the only local option. There was one retailer I had not checked out because they are closed on Mondays and from what I recall they had that schedule pre-COVID.

All in all, a local retail fail.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6084 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

in soviet Russia we just had one model so it was easier.

#6085 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

Sounds like he has an obsolete Soviet mower. Just order the part from a local retailer. What's the rush? The Kommissar is coming to inspect the collective farm?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6086 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:40 PM

https://youtu.be/8-bgiiTxhzM

#6087 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

Swimco went into creditor protection this week; they operate a store locally at Mayfair Mall.

#6088 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

they have been around forever.

#6089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

Sounds like he has an obsolete Soviet mower. Just order the part from a local retailer. What's the rush? The Kommissar is coming to inspect the collective farm?

Well, Vlad, in western society we don’t have to wait for the annual retooling of a Lada factory to pump out a few mediocre blades so the proletariat can mow their lawn once a season to meet the gospodin’s desired quota of hay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6090 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

Westshore mall is always busy around the stores outside. The inside stores are like graveyards and now it's like a zombie apocalypse. They should just have winners and the dollarstore expand into everything else or something.

#6091 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

We ordered a couple of outdoor shade blinds from Home Depot, back in May. After many phone calls and e-mails they finally arrived today.

But instead of the two blinds we ordered we got four, only paid for two. Can't be making money that way.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

But to be sincere here, I would have ordered the desired blade if the store offered to order it after I asked for it. They did not. I recognize that they need a certain volume of product to order when they do place one, and the one-off could end up costing them a lot, or raise the price for me to where they wouldn’t feel comfortable selling it. Or it might take so long to arrive from their supplier that they know I’d have no choice but to look elsewhere.

And what’s the rush? A lawn needs to be mowed. If you miss mowings you derail all the time and effort you’ve put into your lawn (there’s a bit of a science to it all, believe me). It’s like with anything that people depend on, where to one guy a specific drawing/sketch pad is just a binder with pieces of paper, to another it’s a must-have tool. To you a lawn might be some green growth in a yard, but to someone else, tending to it and keeping it lush and healthy is a form of stress relief. To each their own, right?

Know it all.

#6093 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

And where are my manners.

This is the blade I was hoping to find: https://www.oregonpr...,-21"/p/595-621

This is another version of the above style: https://www.oregonpr...™,-21"/p/95-621

This is the one I purchased: https://www.oregonpr...,-21"/p/195-067

They’re all mulching blades, but the two at the top are much better. I have something else to buy from the power shop soon and will chat about their special order policies. Now that I have a blade I can work with there is no rush to get the parts I’d like.

Know it all.

#6094 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:19 PM

Man, the G5 is a heck of a nice mulching blade. Great choice!

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6095 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:13 AM

the mike k. stress-relief lawn eh? sounds like a great putting green.
  • lanforod likes this

#6096 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:05 AM

the mike k. stress-relief lawn eh? sounds like a great putting green.

live shot of mike's lawn coming in now:

• aastra and lanforod like this

#6097 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

The parent company of Laura and Melanie Lyne filed for creditor protection. The former has a location at Uptown and the latter has a location at Mayfair.

#6098 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Uptown's entire "main street" was vacant by year end.

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#6099 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Uptown's entire "main street" was vacant by year end.

Which is kind of ironic now that Uptown has turned it into a pedestrian-only boulevard. I guess Brown's can really expand their patio space.

• Matt R. likes this

#6100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

Which is kind of ironic now that Uptown has turned it into a pedestrian-only boulevard. I guess Brown's can really expand their patio space.

Both Uptown and Mayfair tried to position themselves as clothing destinations and covid has knocked that entire sector off its feet.

I don't know the rationale for turning main street into a pedestrain only area unless they were finding that with most stores closed it was becoming embarrassing with few cars parked there.

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2020 - 03:13 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users