Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8266 replies to this topic

#6121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

This is only the beginning guys. I own a retail store, very established. I thought I was in good shape when we shut down in March - but when you carry seasonal product, it’s extremely challenging (to say the least.) Covid is not going anywhere - anytime soon. I’d be surprised if 50% of the businesses downtown make it. Council needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They’re going to be in a serious situation soon

But they just tax property. It’s not optional or based on sales.

#6122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

Anything we can do for you, Belle, in terms of some additional exposure?
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:30 PM

Council needs to wake up and smell the coffee...

Things guaranteed to revive retail in downtown Victoria:

• expanded sidewalks everywhere - who needs on-street parking anyway?
  • diverting ALL city revenues to building more bike lanes
  • free 24/7 camping in all city parks*

*except those within 500 meters of any councillor's residence or their family member's residence

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6124 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

I think people are walking more now than ever. My daughter walked over 20 km in one day last week, goes for long walks every day. I walk as much as I can as well.

• Hotel Mike, Brantastic and Victoria Watcher like this

#6125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

Long walks are probably not going to be quite as popular come November.

#6126 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:36 AM

Long walks are probably not going to be quite as popular come November.

She's going to invest in raingear. She doesn't feel comfortable going back to the gym. I'll be walking too! It's good for my surgery recovery.

#6127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:41 AM

I am not suggesting that walking is a bad idea - I walk a good deal myself; it's just that widened sidewalks and expanded outdoor dining options will have reduced benefit for downtown retail operations come the rainy season.

• mbjj likes this

#6128 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

But they just tax property. It’s not optional or based on sales.

When the money train stops trucking along - it stops trucking along. What can I say? Commercial property owners aren’t much different than residential landlords - their pockets only go so deep. How long can their building sit vacant? It’s hard to get blood from a stone
  • Spy Black likes this

#6129 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

Anything we can do for you, Belle, in terms of some additional exposure?

Thanks mike! I sincerely appreciate that. I think general promotion would be great for downtown. The parking availability is unprecedented from what I’ve seen. Perhaps something to that end? Everyone complains about it - but it’s a non issue now.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6130 Kindnessfactory

Kindnessfactory
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:30 PM

It would be easier to fill empty retail space if landlords would return phone calls/emails. Super disappointed by how difficult it’s been to get in touch with people who have spaces advertised as for lease.

#6131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

No kidding. Are you referring to larger brokerages or independents?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6132 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

I am not suggesting that walking is a bad idea - I walk a good deal myself; it's just that widened sidewalks and expanded outdoor dining options will have reduced benefit for downtown retail operations come the rainy season.

Rain isn't as huge of a deterrent for pedestrians as you might think. All of the pedestrian counters downtown east of Government Street show pretty consistent foot traffic year-round. There's hardly a difference between winter and summer. There's only significant fluctuation in Old Town which is more a reflection of tourism than anything.

#6133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:19 PM

Downtown consists of more than Government Street. Without an abundance of public service workers, you can bet come the rainy season, downtown will be even more of a ghost town than it is now.

• Belleprincess likes this

#6134 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:05 AM

My wife and I no longer feel safe downtown so we are spending our restaurant money in Oak Bay instead.

• GaryRanson likes this

#6135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

Rain isn't as huge of a deterrent for pedestrians as you might think. All of the pedestrian counters downtown east of Government Street show pretty consistent foot traffic year-round. There's hardly a difference between winter and summer. There's only significant fluctuation in Old Town which is more a reflection of tourism than anything.

A more telling location would be at entrances to downtown. Whether you drive, bus walk or bike, once you’re downtown you’ll have to walk to the bank, lunch, to the bus stop or parkade.

Know it all.

#6136 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

True although East of Government St I would suspect that the majority of traffic year round are workers and residents which would be consistent. 

• Nparker likes this

#6137 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

Paws on Cook, which has been in the Cook/Oscar building at the north end of Cook Street Village since the building was built almost a decade ago, is relocating to the new 200 Cook Street Building at the south end of the village. They will occupy the large corner space that was being considered for a restaurant IIRC.

I look forward to seeing who winds up leasing their current space; the other tenants there are a Village Restaurant (formerly Bubby’s Kitchen) and a Hot House Pizza outlet.

#6138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

https://www.facebook...28919147383831/

• Brantastic likes this

#6139 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:22 PM

A rezoning application has been filed to put the first official (government) BC Cannibis store within city limits in the Bay Centre downtown.  It looks like the store will occupy the former Teavanna space (street level facing Fort Street) if I'm judging the plans correctly:  https://tender.victo...820100230163294

#6140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

Just one more reason to avoid the Bay Centre.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Fairbanks