Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6201 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:15 AM

^ not under bankruptcy though. they can ask the court to break contracts. including a union agreement if they can show it harms the takeover.

#6202 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:09 AM

^ not under bankruptcy though. they can ask the court to break contracts. including a union agreement if they can show it harms the takeover.

Can you refer us to some cases where the court broke a union contract for this reason? Or, to the law that allows for it?

Edited by Benezet, 16 September 2020 - 07:13 AM.

#6203 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

The act of bankruptcy nullifies the wishes of the membership, who would normally be involved in big decisions. The law treats a co-op just like any regular business. But I'm not sure if it also erases union issues in BC. There are usually obligations that have to be met.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 September 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#6204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

Can you refer us to some cases where the court broke a union contract for this reason? Or, to the law that allows for it?

I will later today.

#6205 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:47 AM

I've only purchased two items at MEC but both were excellent. One was a travel purse that both my daughter and I have used on many many trips, it has certainly seen the world. The other was a pair of lightweight travel pants, very comfy, great for wearing on an airplane. I was pretty happy with both items, I just found the store was a little out of the way for me.

#6206 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

Basically the buyer is purchasing assets and then negotiating new contracts with the groups that they need (ie landlords).

#6207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

apparently i can't.

however they might close the unionized stores.

In meetings and other communication with staff, management played on employee’s fears, Charron said, “scaring people around strikes and scaring people around not being able to have a say in their collective agreement.”

There were claims that MEC was in financial difficulty and that voting to join the union could lead to its bankruptcy, he said.

“It was a very stressful and difficult week and one that I don’t wish on any other employees,” Charron said. “If we had card check certification in this province, which we came very close to getting this year, this would have been over. We would have been unionized and the people’s say would have been heard, instead of having to deal with all this negative counter-pressure.”

https://thetyee.ca/N...Union-Campaign/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2020 - 09:55 AM.

#6208 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

however they might close the unionized stores.

Apparently five stores are on the chopping block already, but it hasn't been revealed which ones

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6209 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

Somewhere it was suggested that the company was bought in order to sell off its real estate assets. Does anyone know of the truth of this rumor?

Edited by Barrrister, 16 September 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#6210 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

The empty retail unit adjacent to Freshii on Douglas has a sign that says “leased”.

#6211 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Not sure if this has been noted yet, but the ground floor of the former Russell Books home has been leased. Looks like they’re doing some light renos inside.

Unsure what's going on at ground level, but the second storey above the BC Shaver is being converted to an office.

Not to start any rumours, but remember that there's a possible election coming up, so campaign offices are likely to start appearing in vacant storefronts.

#6212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

Indeed!

@Bran, thank you. Please keep us posted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6213 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Has anyone actually kept track of how many closed businesses there are since the start of Covid?

Rmor going around that MEC in Victoria is one of the early shut downs planned.

#6214 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:49 PM

Somewhere it was suggested that the company was bought in order to sell off its real estate assets. Does anyone know of the truth of this rumor?

Like a lot of these capital corps, they buy up a struggling business, take out a loan to cover their costs, strip it of assets and then move on or declare bankruptcy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6215 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:59 AM

I have a feeling MEC will be TOAST within 18 months...

this kind of sell out never ends well

sad, very popular store

TFord 

#6216 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

TFord: I suspect that you might be right. A lot of floor space in a prime location tends to depress the numbers.

#6217 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

I have a feeling MEC will be TOAST within 18 months...

this kind of sell out never ends well

sad, very popular store

TFord 

It will become a store within a store in Walmart.

#6218 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

I'd be surprised to see MEC shut down. The store has been incredibly busy every time I've been in and I haven't seen any store in the downtown core with lineups as long as MEC has had after reopening. For months, the lines to get in went around the block and down Pandora.

#6219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

That would correlate with the crazy volumes of campers I saw this summer in the back woods!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6220 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

Camping is booming because of Covid. I expect it'll drop off again sharply 2022 or so.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users