* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6481 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:14 AM

Local clothing manufacturer/retailer "Anian" on lower Johnson Street has closed their door today in protest of the consumerism surrounding Black Friday.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 8.14.38 AM.png

Edited by JanionGuy, 27 November 2020 - 08:15 AM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#6482 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

today’s Jack Knox article on retailers showed his complete lack of knowledge of economics theory.

but it also reinforced the fact that local retailers have very little to offer - except higher prices. that’s not going to cut it.

he also said most local retailers have an online presence and the ability to deliver your purchase to your door. I actually don’t believe “most” do.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#6483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

I had my first “Karen” moment at a local store. A lady became very angry over the direction of flow in aisles, despite there being no arrows, and would not move when asked to allow other shoppers through. She became quite upset and started ordering people around.

Meanwhile, parking lots are already getting full and shoppers are getting antsy. I can see why so many just throw in the towel and order online, like Mrs. Mike K. did with the Big Chief smoker she got me for Xmas, that I received unwrapped (despite the order being placed with the option selected to ensure the parcel was wrapped prior to shipment). Oops.
  • sebberry, lanforod and mbjj like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

that smoker sounds alright.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:30 AM

I’ve got just under 30-days to learn how to use it starting Christmas Day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6486 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:34 AM

today’s Jack Knox article on retailers showed his complete lack of knowledge of economics theory.

but it also reinforced the fact that local retailers have very little to offer - except higher prices. that’s not going to cut it.

he also said most local retailers have an online presence and the ability to deliver your purchase to your door. I actually don’t believe “most” do.

I think that the main issue local retailers have with their online stores is convenience. It is far easier to type in Amazon or Canadian Tire then to try and figure out which store might have the product you are interested in and what their website address might be. In most cases I would rather buy local but if it is going to take me 20 minutes to find the local store selling it then I don't have the extra time.

The one task that google hasn't handily solved is typing in a product name and telling me all of the local stores that sell it. Amazon always tends to pop up first. I wonder why?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:36 AM

They pay for the placement to pop up first, I believe, and the algorithms also know that actionable results should be at the top as that’s what people are looking for/and buy what they’re looking for when that specific result is displayed.
  • Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#6488 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:56 AM

Maybe the city can start leasing out some of the empty retail spaces to house the druggies. 

#6489 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

I think that the main issue local retailers have with their online stores is convenience. It is far easier to type in Amazon or Canadian Tire then to try and figure out which store might have the product you are interested in and what their website address might be. In most cases I would rather buy local but if it is going to take me 20 minutes to find the local store selling it then I don't have the extra time.

The one task that google hasn't handily solved is typing in a product name and telling me all of the local stores that sell it. Amazon always tends to pop up first. I wonder why?

I've been having luck using stocktrack.ca to search for items in local stores.  they will even tell you what the price is and what inventory they ave.

#6490 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:18 PM

Local clothing manufacturer/retailer "Anian" on lower Johnson Street has closed their door today in protest of the consumerism surrounding Black Friday.

How bizarre. And Hipsterish. I welcome every customer I have.

• Nparker likes this

#6491 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:26 PM

Yeah it is annoying for the last few days and particularly today to have your inbox full of messages from every store you might have done business with. But there is this thing called the delete key.

#6492 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:28 AM

It's not exactly retail, but the laundromat/dry cleaning business in James Bay (on Menzies adjacent to Circle K & in the same plaza as Discovery Coffee) has now closed.

#6493 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:29 AM

does that only leave two laundries in the whole city? or three.

#6494 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:40 AM

does that only leave two laundries in the whole city? or three.

The Laundro Lounge at Cook/Yates is looking for a new location due to the upcoming Chard project.  

Aside from that, there are no other laundries in the city proper, but there are a few in Saanich that aren't too far including Squeaky's on Shelbourne, Tillicum Laundry (near the mall) and Scrubby's (on Burnside). 

#6495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:44 AM

There’s also one at the Shell station on Oak Bay Ave, within the CoV.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#6496 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:47 AM

oh and doesnt the Victoria Car Wash have a laundry?

Yes:

https://victoriacarwash.com/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#6497 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

And the Laundrette at Quadra and Kings.

#6498 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:09 AM

^That's been closed since the pandemic. I hope it reopens because it has one of Victoria's greatest commercial signs.

• Brantastic likes this

#6499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

^That's been closed since the pandemic. I hope it reopens because it has one of Victoria's greatest commercial signs.

• Nparker likes this

#6500 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:18 AM

And the Laundrette at Quadra and Kings.

Google claims that the Sparkle Brite Launderette in Quadra Village is permanently closed ...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users