* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6801 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

It's possible for young people to get over booze and hard drugs. But the damage pot does is permanent. I want to see really heavy penalties for people that habitually sell pot to youths.

#6802 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:45 PM

I recognize if you enjoy weed you have every right to do so. These are just my personal feelings and experiences.

TFord

This I can get behind. Live and let live, but each allowed their opinion.

#6803 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:16 AM

I’m not so sure.

I have never witnessed construction workers drinking beer around the corner from their construction site, but I see them smoking a joint on their regular. I see them smoking weed before shift, too.

That's because the beer is in the reusable coffee cups. 

• Matt R. likes this

#6804 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:05 AM

Society is much more accepting of alcohol than marijuana by far. I’ve seen people have a drink or two at a work lunch, or get too drunk at a work party. People use it to excuse bad behaviour - “he only acts like that when he’s drunk”. People find it strange if someone says they don’t drink alcohol. That’s how much a part of our life it is.

Many moons ago I was at a social function where a cop with a beer in his hand was going on about the evils of pot. This was at a time when possesing a very small amount of pot had serious consequences. I do not dismiss the problems with either. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. And I've only ever indulged in pot once.

#6805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:16 AM

Many moons ago I was at a social function where a cop with a beer in his hand was going on about the evils of pot. This was at a time when possesing a very small amount of pot had serious consequences. I do not dismiss the problems with either. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. And I've only ever indulged in pot once.

there is a difference between an after-hours social function and those mike describes that smoke pot multiple times during the work day at breaks.

#6806 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:24 AM

there is a difference between an after-hours social function and those mike describes that smoke pot multiple times during the work day at breaks.

See my comment about the coffee cups. 

#6807 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:19 AM

That's because the beer is in the reusable coffee cups.

Instant firing. No foreman would allow that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6808 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

Instant firing. No foreman would allow that.

Allow that? That is the reason for the "coffee" cup. I bet if you tested the contents of most "coffee" cups at work sites, dog parks, parent play dates, you would find the contents are not coffee.

And in the current manual labour environment, I'm guessing most bosses are more lenient as long as the person does the job.

Speaking of which, the term "foreman" sounds like something out of the 50s.

#6809 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Holy smokes. You think it’s “most?” I don’t think I’d agree.

You can smell liquor on someone’s breath from a mile away. No job site tolerates alcohol on the job. You get found out you’re gonzo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6810 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:17 AM

Most social drinkers aren't sipping vodka from a coffee cup at work. And most people who occasionally buy some edibles from Farm don't "wake and bake" on a daily basis.

• Matt R., sukika and qv like this

#6811 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

We’re comparing pot heads to social drinkers though, and I think that’s not a reasonable comparison.

Anyone who smokes weed before or during work hours has an issue.

Know it all.

#6812 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:57 AM

We’re comparing pot heads to social drinkers though, and I think that’s not a reasonable comparison.

Anyone who smokes weed before or during work hours has an issue.

But why aren't you comparing social cannabis users to social drinkers; and potheads to alcoholics? Did someone make you watch Reefer Madness at an impressionable age?

• Redd42 and sukika like this

#6813 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

You can smell liquor on someone’s breath from a mile away. 

Depends on what it is though.  Beer breath (yuck) as you're drinking?  Sure.  Vodka an hour after they've downed a few drinks?  No.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6814 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

I had to leave my neighbour a note this morning about their pot use on the balcony.  My entire place stinks when they smoke it. 

But I'm the villain for wanting a pet lest it become a disturbance  :whyme:

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6815 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:14 AM

Do you think it would help your case sebberry if you promised your strata that your pet would never smoke pot on the balcony?

• sebberry and Greg like this

#6816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

But why aren't you comparing social cannabis users to social drinkers; and potheads to alcoholics? Did someone make you watch Reefer Madness at an impressionable age?

I’m not comparing social pot smokers to social drinkers.

What I am saying is I agree that daytime use of pot by young people is a growing problem and the tolerance our society has for all-day consumption of pot is misguided.

Know it all.

#6817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:44 PM

And social pot smokers are not toking up during work hours, neither are social drinkers drinking at work. We just have this peculiar attitude towards getting high all day, like it’s normal, or ok. I don’t think it is and friends who were heavy pot smokers have spoken of how had their addiction was when they stepped back and assessed what they were doing and what pot was doing to them.

Know it all.

#6818 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

OK, I guess I see what you're saying, but it's not like the pubs don't open until 5 pm.

#6819 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

I have no problem with the choice people make on their own time. But there's a prevalence of pot use during business hours and it has been somewhat normalized.

Know it all.

#6820 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 01:25 PM

OK, I guess I see what you're saying, but it's not like the pubs don't open until 5 pm.

and most of the adult population is actually not working at 3pm on any given weekday.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2021 - 01:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users