Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8258 replies to this topic

#6781 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

Google and YouTube, you can learn to fix anything yourself.  

Might need to resort to that yeah. This manufacter (Juiced) pulled out of Canada :(

#6782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

On the biggest day of the year for cannabis users, the Songhees Nation had its first retail store open in the community.

The Songhees Cannabis S + S store held a soft launch at its 1502 Admirals Rd. location on April 20.

“Having this cannabis store here gives out people an option to shop and support our community, support our members, support our economic success here in our community.” said Songhees Nation chief Ron Sam.

https://www.vicnews....ity-says-chief/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2021 - 04:30 PM.

• Greg likes this

#6783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:35 PM

Give out people what option?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6784 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:03 PM

Give out people what option?

I'm pretty sure that was a typo.

#6785 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

I guess I should shop at the  Scottish guys store in order to support our community. That sounds fair. 

#6786 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:22 PM

I would support a store that supported my ancient people but the Austro-Hungarian empire hasn't been the same since World War I.

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#6787 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:19 AM

Crews are preparing two other cannabis stores downtown — in Bay Centre on Fort Street and at 901 Gordon St.

Those stores will be branded as Seed and Stone, and Seed and Stone Songhees Edition, and operated with partner Vikram Sachdeva, who owns several Subway sandwich stores and has a licensed cannabis store in Chilliwack with other locations under development on the Lower Mainland.

Christina Clarke, corporate executive officer of the ­Songhees Development Corporation, said the nation is awaiting final licensing approvals from the province on the downtown stores.

The province had originally planned to use the Bay Centre site as a provincial cannabis store, but offered it up to the Songhees. The city also eased distancing restrictions for cannabis retail stores in a show of reconciliation.

Clarke said the stores will collectively support 50 full-time jobs and 11 band members are already employed.

“We’re thrilled with that,” said Clarke.

The Songhees expect to be profitable in the S+S store in about three months.

https://www.timescol...tlet-1.24309785

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2021 - 05:19 AM.

#6788 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

Crews are preparing two other cannabis stores downtown — in Bay Centre on Fort Street and at 901 Gordon St. Those stores will be branded as Seed and Stone, and Seed and Stone Songhees Edition, and operated with partner Vikram Sachdeva, who owns several Subway sandwich stores...

Very clever. Sell one product that gives your customers the munchies then sell another to satiate their hunger.

• Danma, grantpalin and Victoria Watcher like this

#6789 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

vikram is a former bc liquor employee and he's also a registered immigration consultant.  he's a smart guy.

• Matt R. likes this

#6790 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

As a non smoker and non consumer of weed I think it's really sad to see this industry take off within the community. Yes I understand it's popular and as a non user, I don't get it. However, in my experience as an employer with over 30 years experience I don't like what I see in terms of ability in folk of all ages that use weed daily. I think it's very destructive. 

I say this with some sadness, over the last 5 or 6 years I have seen a real downward trend in the attitude and ability of staff I employ that use weed daily. Especially the younger folk. 

I think we messed up. I'd like to hear from other business owners on this..

TFord

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:22 PM

I don’t necessarily disagree. Call it whatever you want but if you’re smoking weed every day and even multiple times a day you’re an addict. Weed is addictive and it changes people. If you don’t believe it, you may be in denial over its effects on you, your health and your relationships.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6792 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

As a non smoker and non consumer of weed I think it's really sad to see this industry take off within the community. Yes I understand it's popular and as a non user, I don't get it. However, in my experience as an employer with over 30 years experience I don't like what I see in terms of ability in folk of all ages that use weed daily. I think it's very destructive.

I say this with some sadness, over the last 5 or 6 years I have seen a real downward trend in the attitude and ability of staff I employ that use weed daily. Especially the younger folk.

I think we messed up. I'd like to hear from other business owners on this..

TFord

All this is true of alcohol too, and that almost certainly affects many more people.

These substances are dangerous when they are abused, but many other people can enjoy them responsibly.
  • Redd42 likes this

#6793 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:03 PM

All this is true of alcohol too, and that almost certainly affects many more people.

These substances are dangerous when they are abused, but many other people can enjoy them responsibly.

Exactly.  I think if you are against marijuana use then you should be against alcohol consumption as well.  

#6794 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:09 PM

...I think if you are against marijuana use then you should be against alcohol consumption as well.  

Extrapolating from that, why does officialdom stigmatize tobacco use while working so hard to de-stigmatize highly addictive and often lethal drug use?

#6795 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

Extrapolating from that, why does officialdom stigmatize tobacco use while working so hard to de-stigmatize highly addictive and often lethal drug use?

To be fair nicotine is also highly addictive and often lethal, it just kills a lot slower.  And I don't know if using something like heroin will ever be less stigmatized than tobacco. 

Edited by sukika, 21 April 2021 - 02:35 PM.

#6796 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

To be fair nicotine is also highly addictive and often lethal, it just kills a lot slower...

I agree. Tobacco is both addictive and can be deadly and I have no issues with stigmatizing its usage. I just fail to understand how de-stigmatizing hard core drugs is a healthy long term strategy.

#6797 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

I agree. Tobacco is both addictive and can be deadly and I have no issues with stigmatizing its usage. I just fail to understand how de-stigmatizing hard core drugs is a healthy long term strategy.

It isn’t because we don’t have the adequate support systems in place.

#6798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

I’m not so sure.

I have never witnessed construction workers drinking beer around the corner from their construction site, but I see them smoking a joint on their regular. I see them smoking weed before shift, too.

I know people who wake up in the AM and smoke a joint. Then they smoke a joint on their lunch break, and again after their shift is over, whether driving home or not, then they smoke a joint in the evening, maybe even smoke up before going to sleep.

And our society is very accepting of people getting high all day long, in that way as described above. We are not accepting of people drinking beer all day long while working.
  • zoomer and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#6799 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

Society is much more accepting of alcohol than marijuana by far. I’ve seen people have a drink or two at a work lunch, or get too drunk at a work party. People use it to excuse bad behaviour - “he only acts like that when he’s drunk”. People find it strange if someone says they don’t drink alcohol. That’s how much a part of our life it is.

#6800 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

I was minded of alcohol when I wrote the post. However I haven't had any issues in business with staff arriving drunk or smelling of beer. Hence I didn't mention it. Weed is the elephant in the room at the moment. I have serious concerns about the potential damage this can and will do, especially to our youth.

Honestly I would be heart broken had my kids smoked weed regularly. Thankfully they avoided it. They seem to manage alcohol intake better than I did..!!! 

I recognize if you enjoy weed you have every right to do so. These are just my personal feelings and experiences. 

TFord

• Matt R. and sukika like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users