* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6901 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

^Right, so you'd own the property outright but pay a monthly strata fee to Anthem I guess. 

#6902 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:15 AM

AFAIK, this isn’t actually part of “Market Square”.

Matt.

#6903 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:16 AM

if it has been strata titled it’s part of something bigger.

#6904 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:18 AM

too bad we are not privy to the resources of anyone that’s an expert in these things.

#6905 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:17 PM

if it has been strata titled it’s part of something bigger.

Well it doesn't include the upper floors of the building, right? So that's why it's part of a strata I assume.

#6906 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:33 PM

AFAIK, this isn’t actually part of “Market Square”.

Matt.

Correct, 501 Pandora is a separate lot from 560 Johnson, aka Market Square. The listing is for one of the strata lots in this building, no different than if someone were selling a condo.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6907 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

^ ^ that's correct.  there appears to be residential units above.  and at least 5 units of some type in the building.

http://www.6717000.c...501-pandora-ave

https://www.rew.ca/i...nue-victoria-bc

who knew?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 12:38 PM.

#6908 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

The buildings aren’t even connected, are they?

Matt.

#6909 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:00 PM

CORNER MIXED USE UNIT FOR SALE - Fully leased with rental upside in the Tillicum neighbourhood, an area of strong gentrification. 100 Burnside Road is a two-storey plus basement wood frame building. Exterior finish is mainly stucco and has a new torch on roof. Heating system is oil fired forced hot air. The three commercial tenants are Great Smiles Denture Clinic, Cycles West and Love One Hair Studio. Features include: below market residential rents and commercial rents (two commercial tenancies on gross basis), transit immediately across the road and a short drive to Downtown Victoria, well maintained electrical and plumbing with recent upgrades to most windows, roof, mechanical and fire escape, value add opportunity to revitalize and create efficiency in building area, upside in rents and additional revenue sources such as parking and storage, all sub electrical panels upgraded except for unit 4. Contact listing agents to book a tour.

$1,925,000

https://www.realtor....aanich-tillicum

877518_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 05:02 PM.

#6910 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:55 PM

seattle times:

Amazon delivery drivers are injured more often than its warehouse workers

Drivers for the hundreds of Amazon delivery contractors in the U.S. ferrying packages to customers' doorsteps sustain injuries at higher rates than any other link in the commerce giant's logistics chain, according to a new report.

thanks, captain obvious.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 05:56 PM.

#6911 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:46 PM

A few new businesses:
-Selena: Handbags, Luggage, and Accessories has opened up in Market Square next to Oscar and Libby's 
-Belle General opened within the last week in the Sawyer building on Fort
-I saw a sign on a door for an art gallery of some sort opening soon on Bridge St, same block as Parachute Ice Cream and Mile Zero Coffee
-There is a "leased" sign on one of the two 989 Johnson Commercial units (not the corner unit). Finally! I can't find info on what it is though.

• Mike K. likes this

#6912 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:01 PM

It'll be great to see the Sawyer building alive with retail. 

The Gage Gallery is relocating to Bastion Square after seven years on Oak Bay Avenue.

• zoomer likes this

#6913 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:28 PM

A few

-There is a "leased" sign on one of the two 989 Johnson Commercial units (not the corner unit). Finally! I can't find info on what it is though.

Wait for it....

A gym.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6914 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:36 PM

Oh wait! Its the corner unit that will be the gym.

#6915 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:32 PM

What will a gym do with that nice patio? Juice bar I guess..

#6916 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:48 AM

Don't know but my buddy who lives in the building said that the owner couldn't save the space for the restaurant that was envisioned there.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:17 AM

That's a real shame.

#6918 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

Don't imagine the tourists buy many couches or china or sheet sets - the top 2 floors of the downtown Bay.

Too bad the Mayfair Bay is so dumpy. The downtown store is much more attractive but downtown itself, not so much.

The Bay is downsizing their downtown Calgary store, but not giving up the floor space. Two floors will be removed from the store and converted to "micro distribution" space, which is something the Gap started doing almost a decade ago when I still worked there. Wouldn't be surprised if more stores followed suit.

Via https://retail-insid...-retail-floors/

“As we operate with a digital-first mindset, Hudson’s Bay is redefining the role of the store. In Calgary, we are rightsizing the shopping space to improve productivity and profitability, while at the same time enhancing the overall experience for customers,” said the company in a statement.

“Without any reduction to products, services or staff, the store will utilize three floors as retail space. Beginning this fall we will also fulfill orders through microdistribution from the store, increasing speed of delivery to thebay.com customers in the West.”

• jjmac likes this

#6919 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 11:51 PM

That bodes well for thebay.com orders to the west coast.

Today, they mainly come from the warehouse in Toronto, are all transported to Calgary, then dropped in the postal system there.

It takes 7-10 days, or longer around the holidays. When a similar item is available on Amazon, it's tough to choose the Bay these days.

When items start shipping from Calgary, it will cut shipping times down to a couple of days.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6920 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 June 2021 - 05:34 AM

That bodes well for thebay.com orders to the west coast.

Today, they mainly come from the warehouse in Toronto, are all transported to Calgary, then dropped in the postal system there.

It takes 7-10 days, or longer around the holidays. When a similar item is available on Amazon, it's tough to choose the Bay these days.

When items start shipping from Calgary, it will cut shipping times down to a couple of days.

Likely will see this in more Bay stores :) 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users