Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6921 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 05:40 AM

That bodes well for thebay.com orders to the west coast.

Today, they mainly come from the warehouse in Toronto, are all transported to Calgary, then dropped in the postal system there.

It takes 7-10 days, or longer around the holidays. When a similar item is available on Amazon, it's tough to choose the Bay these days.

When items start shipping from Calgary, it will cut shipping times down to a couple of days.

are they brands/items we cant just buy on amazon?  other than house brands i guess.

#6922 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:28 AM

are they brands/items we cant just buy on amazon?  other than house brands i guess.

There's quite a bit, or that is more expensive on Amazon.

Plus I don't think the Bay has a reputation for treating their employees quite as poorly as Amazon. That counts for something, for me.

They also have their rewards program.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6923 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

Looks like the owner of Nanaimo’s mall has purchased Mayfair with long term plans to redevelop it :

https://www.cheknews...lopment-813691/

#6924 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:25 PM

Looks like the owner of Nanaimo’s mall has purchased Mayfair with long term plans to redevelop it :

https://www.cheknews...lopment-813691/

A bit of background.

https://www.colliers...-nanaimo-canada

Looks like Central Walk is a Barbados company. If I were betting it would be that redevelopment included residential and the strategy here is not a long term hold. 

#6925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:45 PM

Rare strata retail investment opportunity to Purchase within the highly desired Cook Street Village. 3-313 Cook Street is located in the heart of Cook Street Village with exposure to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. The tenanted retail space provides +/- 1,514 square feet of space and the zoning allows for variety of uses. Steps away from transit, shopping, and amenities, area tenants include Cook Street Liquor, Rexall Pharmacy, Mother Nature's Market, Paws on Cook Pet Store, Starbucks, and the soon to open Root Cellar. This small commercial strip services the surrounding area and neighbourhood's and is one of Victoria's most popular areas.

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-west

$1,098,800

3-313 Cook

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 03:45 PM.

#6926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:57 PM

A bit of background.

https://www.colliers...-nanaimo-canada

Looks like Central Walk is a Barbados company. If I were betting it would be that redevelopment included residential and the strategy here is not a long term hold.

I was told the owner is a Chinese national residing in Vancouver. I’ve seen a few Chinese companies and Chinese nationals do the Barbados thing. It’s quite interesting the mechanism of it all, and it’s likely used as a protective hedge against government interference.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6927 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:43 PM

Hopefully the plan includes putting condo/rental buildings on all the parking lots.

The most recent addition/renovation was a disaster. Although built nearly to the road it looks like cheap crap, it’s a mish mash of monolithic walls, unnecessary staircases, and a bizarre covered drop off area. There is no iconic symbol and beckoning entrance or visual that says “wow, that mall looks cool, let’s check it out!”. At least before, despite the parking lot they had the clock tower with an obvious large main entrance on the Douglas Street side.
  • Nparker and Brantastic like this

#6928 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

I was told the owner is a Chinese national residing in Vancouver. I’ve seen a few Chinese companies and Chinese nationals do the Barbados thing. It’s quite interesting the mechanism of it all, and it’s likely used as a protective hedge against government interference.

Like tax.

#6929 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:13 AM

Firm headed by Island resident buys Mayfair shopping centre

Mayfair shopping centre in Victoria has been purchased by Central Walk, the buyer of Nanaimo’s Woodgrove Centre in September 2020.

In each case, Central Walk, headed by Vancouver Island resident Weihong Liu, bought the malls from Montreal’s Ivanhoe Cambridge, the real estate arm of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec

Liu, chair and founder of Central Walk, said in a statement: “I’m so happy to have completed this investment on beautiful Vancouver Island. Everyone treats everyone else in a friendly and respectful way here.

“Because this community has accepted me with open arms, I am committed to continuing to work with local leaders to build the communities that we have invested in so that, together, we can make them the very best places that they can be.”

https://www.timescol...ntre-1.24327996

Admin note: fixed link.

#6930 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:10 AM

Like tax.

Or like a government takeover of assets.
  • m3m likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6931 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

One of the challenges owning a small number of malls is that you lose any negotiating power with national brands. I suspect that over the longer term these malls will be redeveloped more into residential / office with a much smaller retail footprint. 

#6932 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

Wouldn't you say the worst part of our malls is the same tired old national brand fashion outlets in every mall? And the best thing is the local content (BC Shaver & Hobbies, Bolen Books).

• sebberry, lanforod and FogPub like this

#6933 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:21 AM

Wouldn't you say the worst part of our malls is the same tired old national brand fashion outlets in every mall? And the best thing is the local content (BC Shaver & Hobbies, Bolen Books).

a bolen books only comes along 1 in 100.   the other 99 we need those chains.  

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#6934 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:30 AM

They're the only ones who can afford the ridiculous rent.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6935 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:15 AM

Fingers crossed that the redevelopment will include a T&T Supermarket!  I'm still a bit disappointed that the rumours of one being built on the former Mayfair Lanes site never came through.  

• Mike K. and Redd42 like this

#6936 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

This is a huge issue for every major mall in North America.  ALL items sold in these 'national' chain stores is available online, nothing experiential or unique about it on a shelf or hanger in a 'mall'.  This is a known issue to all mall developers/owners/managers and changes are coming.  Mall-tainment with a dash of unique shopping experience is coming to you soon.  Uptown was ahead of the game, and the new approaches will be beyond Uptown.

#6937 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

Mall-tainment with a dash of unique shopping experience is coming to you soon.  Uptown was ahead of the game, and the new approaches will be beyond Uptown.

https://en.wikipedia...eam_Meadowlands

#6938 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

This is a huge issue for every major mall in North America.  ALL items sold in these 'national' chain stores is available online, nothing experiential or unique about it on a shelf or hanger in a 'mall'.  This is a known issue to all mall developers/owners/managers and changes are coming.  Mall-tainment with a dash of unique shopping experience is coming to you soon.  Uptown was ahead of the game, and the new approaches will be beyond Uptown.

Uptown has never been full and has had a steady turnover in retail tenants. Can't say that the concept has caught on.

#6939 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

Fingers crossed that the redevelopment will include a T&T Supermarket!  I'm still a bit disappointed that the rumours of one being built on the former Mayfair Lanes site never came through.

Mayfair Lanes sitting vacant for so long is unfortunate and hard to understand financially.

I’d love to see a T & T anywhere in Victoria and another one right downtown, say in the Capitol 6. If Market on Yates moves up to Yates and Cook that would give them each some territory/breathing room. I think they’d do great business, although might not be so good for the two Chinatown shops and Fairways.

#6940 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

I’m sure they’re waiting for the Tim Hortons building to come up for sale.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Facebook (2)