* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8238 replies to this topic

#7061 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:54 PM

My husband bought something for his sister last year at the Irish Linen store. The lady told him she did a lot of mail order, sent up a box full of stuff to a different store in Kelowna. Also one of her biggest sellers was a brand of Irish tea. 

I worked in the MEC building for a short while when it was the Ministry of Forest, 1984/85. We moved there from the Mosaic Building. It was freezing upstairs. 

• Nparker likes this

#7062 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:21 PM

GoodFellas Cigar Shop is moving out of its longtime digs at Market Square. Their new home will be in the former souvenir shop across from Frankie’s (They are going into the NE corner of Government and Courtney street).
  • Mike K. likes this

#7063 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:14 PM

Nice! That’s going serve them quite well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7064 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:22 PM

Good Fellas Cigar Shop is moving out of its longtime digs at Market Square. Their new home will be in the former souvenir shop across from Frankie’s (They are going into the NE corner of Government and Courtney street).

This location should serve them well with American cruise ship passengers...oh wait...

#7065 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:22 PM

A new bookstore is opening Dec 1 in Cook Street Village:

https://booksandshenanigans.com/

#7066 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:08 PM

Oh good! I miss the used book store that used to be there. It was great for kids. My daughter used to get all her comics there. 

#7067 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

Unique purchase opportunity in Victoria's downtown retail core. Located on Government Street a few doors from the corner of Government and Johnson St., this absolutely outstanding 5340 SF retail suite is presented over 3 floors. The entrance and main retail area with its soaring ceiling allows for an exposed grand staircase leading to a highly visible second floor. Exceptional value given its exposure at one of Victoria's busiest intersections for foot or vehicular traffic. Unprecedented location and layout will be recognized by those seeking a value asset to create a unique business concept. The overall square footage includes a second title for a separate independent suite in the lower level with it's own entrance if necessary. 

$2,098,000

1 & 2 1411 Government St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Downtown Victoria spa permanently closes its doors eight months after devastating fire

Sattva Spa will no longer reopen after the building was destroyed by neighbouring fire

https://www.vicnews....vastating-fire/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#7068 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

Took a rip into Victoria today for an ortho appointment for my kid and to pick up our refinished sofa from Gregg’s, and wow, what a job they did! Expensive as hell, but great workmanship.

This and the matching chair are my wife’s great grandmother’s, nearly 100 years old and worth every penny.

Reason number 475 to have a Dodge Caravan. :)

Matt.
  • Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

#7069 mdb1983

mdb1983
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 12:26 PM

Apparently Golden City Restaurant is closing at the end of the month. My mom's friend whose son works there said they're closing permanently because of lack of business...kind of sad as it was a place my big family used to have big dinners at a long time ago.

golden-city-restaurant.jpg

Edited by mdb1983, 16 November 2021 - 12:27 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7070 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 12:29 PM

This was one of the go-to places for my Ministry of Health colleagues. We did Chinese New Year here several times. It will be missed.

#7071 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 12:56 PM

Ya it was good.

#7072 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

It also hosted many political events for some of Victoria's former politicians, maybe even some current ones. Too bad, as it more or less has been a Victoria institution.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7073 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 02:20 PM

Golden City is closing?!! Dang it, that's a real shame. One of my favorite Chinese restaurants in town – although I haven't been there in a while (or downtown at all for that matter.)

#7074 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 02:22 PM

It was nice, but my wife refuses to go downtown these days.

• SimonH likes this

#7075 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

So weird, I’m literally sitting across from Golden City enjoying a coffee from 2% at this very moment. I will say the area is pretty wholesome, just people walking around and I have yet to witness a stabbing, but I did park on Princess so we will see what happens.

Matt.
  • vortoozo and Victoria Watcher like this

#7076 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:21 PM

Golden City is closing?!! Dang it, that's a real shame. One of my favorite Chinese restaurants in town – although I haven't been there in a while (or downtown at all for that matter.)

Nooooooo! it's been a family favourite for ever. I just had a great meal a few weeks back. 

Mind you I am hearing that Chinese cooks are demanding $5k a month cash to get out of bed at the minute, so I guess its no surprise. 

Sad though, dominoes are starting to fall. 

FFS everyone, eat out tomorrow night and order from a locally owned business (forget the big brands) 

TFord 

#7077 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:26 PM

So weird, I’m literally sitting across from Golden City enjoying a coffee from 2% at this very moment. I will say the area is pretty wholesome, just people walking around and I have yet to witness a stabbing, but I did park on Princess so we will see what happens.

Matt.

Good man Matt, Sam Jones is a legend. Was it busy?

Guys and girls, visit 2% Jazz, talk to the staff, let them endear you. 

TFord 

• Matt R. likes this

#7078 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

...Guys and girls, visit 2% Jazz, talk to the staff, let them endear you. ..

Only if they promise to rid the Fisgard/Douglas location of that awful burnt coffee bean smell.

#7079 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:33 AM

It was not busy. Coffee was excellent.

Matt.

#7080 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:43 PM

Limey, the British products store based in Kelowna, is loosening its new location tomorrow on Douglas St across from the public market: https://limeyshop.com/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users