Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:02 AM

We have a South African specialty store in Fernwood. Or we did.

#7102 mdb1983

mdb1983
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:31 AM

Popeyes Chicken just opened around here. It's in Tuscany Village. right across from soon to be former University Heights Mall. i don't know fi their chicken is better than KFC but i think i'll check it out

• Mike K. likes this

#7103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:36 AM

You’ll like it! It’s quite popular down south.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7104 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 08:31 AM

Popeyes Chicken just opened around here. It's in Tuscany Village. right across from soon to be former University Heights Mall. i don't know fi their chicken is better than KFC but i think i'll check it out

Owned by the same group that owns Timmies and BK.

• Nparker likes this

#7105 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:01 PM

It was sooo good, only 17 mins wait on Friday night. 

• Nparker likes this

#7106 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 03:34 PM

So does your husband's dentist!

He hasn't had a cavity in years! His hygienist is always very impressed with his teeth. 

#7107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 03:40 PM

It looks like a clothing store by the name of Reunion on LoJo has been replaced by some sort of a Japanese mask place called Oni Oni.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7108 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 20 December 2021 - 03:59 PM

A bit late to the party. Reunion closed in January and Oni Oni opened up a month or two later. For a 'mask place' they serve delicious Onigiri. Would recommend for a cheap snack or quick lunch.

#7109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:00 PM

Odd. I’ve never noticed it before.

What with all the masks in the window, and the logo is a mask too, I think?

Know it all.

#7110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:02 PM

Capture.PNG

https://oni-oni.com/

#7111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:44 AM

Tributes are pouring in online for Yumbrosia Fine Foods owner Ihsan Askar from devoted customers who describe him as a generous man who made the best hummus in the city and often added an extra scoop of ice cream to kids’ orders for free.

https://www.timescol...oak-bay-4885308

#7112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:29 AM

Walmart  (WMT) - Get Walmart Inc. Report reportedly drove 25.4% of all click-and-collect orders in 2021, the largest market share of any U.S. retailer, according to a news report, for an estimated $20.4 billion in sales.

Put another way, one in every four dollars that Americans spent on online purchases retrieved through either curbside pickup or inside of stores this year went to the retail giant, CNBC reported, citing Insider Intelligence.

Click-and-collect is a hybrid e-commerce system, where people purchase or select items online and pick them up in-store or at a centralized collection point.

Click-and-collect sales are expected to jump by about 21% to $101 billion in 2022, according to Insider Intelligence. 

https://www.thestree...-collect-system

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 December 2021 - 04:29 AM.

#7113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 07:40 AM

WalMart appears to be ending its run in China, or at least drastically reducing the amount of stores it operates in the country.

Know it all.

#7114 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:56 AM

Walmart  (WMT) - Get Walmart Inc. Report reportedly drove 25.4% of all click-and-collect orders in 2021, the largest market share of any U.S. retailer, according to a news report, for an estimated $20.4 billion in sales.

Put another way, one in every four dollars that Americans spent on online purchases retrieved through either curbside pickup or inside of stores this year went to the retail giant, CNBC reported, citing Insider Intelligence.

Click-and-collect is a hybrid e-commerce system, where people purchase or select items online and pick them up in-store or at a centralized collection point.

Click-and-collect sales are expected to jump by about 21% to $101 billion in 2022, according to Insider Intelligence. 

https://www.thestree...-collect-system

Makes sense. Amazon deliveries take two weeks now at best so this is really the only online option that allows you to collect an item in any reasonable amount of time.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7115 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

Makes sense. Amazon deliveries take two weeks now at best so this is really the only online option that allows you to collect an item in any reasonable amount of time.

Yes.  In larger centres Amazon can deliver lots the very next day if they warehouse it locally.   But I think where they have potential shortages they serve larger centres first, its cheaper for them to deliver closer to the depot.  You can see that just by toggling delivery address for your orders between your home address and your grandma in Winnipeg.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 December 2021 - 11:04 AM.

#7116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:07 AM

^ The last mile delivery is what is most expense for Amazon or any other retailer. What they are doing now is using AI to consolidate orders based on your order history and patterns. As an example, if you routinely order from Amazon 2-3 times a week then they will wait and consolidate those orders so that they are only doing one delivery.  Even if they warehouse the item locally you may still have to wait if the economics work better for them.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#7117 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

Amazon and others will also refund your money on some returns and tell you to keep the merchandise anyway.

A lot of returns just go to a wholesaler will try to resell them for pennies on the dollar.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7118 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 December 2021 - 08:46 PM

Most orders for me from Amazon are 1-2 days arrival. No idea where you’re getting the 2 week thing. I have Prime, I order a lot, and use monthly subscriptions as well.

#7119 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 09:33 PM

^ Tell us more about monthly subscriptions. Soap? Soup?
I am also prime and the delivery is usually 2 days unless it is shipped direct from a supplier.

#7120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:36 PM

Most orders for me from Amazon are 1-2 days arrival. No idea where you’re getting the 2 week thing. I have Prime, I order a lot, and use monthly subscriptions as well.

If I search Amazon right now and look only at popular 'prime' items, the average deliver dates are January 14th - 16th. 

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users