Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7121 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:37 PM

We order a lot from Amazon and 1-3 weeks delivery is normal now. Used to be 2 days on most items we buy.
  • Nparker likes this

#7122 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:09 AM

If I search Amazon right now and look only at popular 'prime' items, the average deliver dates are January 14th - 16th.

That’s what I got on an item I ordered last week. I noticed it before Christmas too. Most things I was looking at had long delivery times.
Es.

#7123 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 January 2022 - 11:55 PM

^ Tell us more about monthly subscriptions. Soap? Soup?
I am also prime and the delivery is usually 2 days unless it is shipped direct from a supplier.

Coffee, diapers (though canceled now as no longer need them).

#7124 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 02:39 AM

You’ve cut back on coffee intake?

#7125 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 11:08 AM

I have been looking at the dine around but prices these days seem high

#7126 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 11:16 AM

I have been looking at the dine around but prices these days seem high

Not a surprise, they have to cover reduced traffic alongside higher wage and food costs. 

I think many are going to test economic theory regarding supply and demand. 

• Matt R., A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 2 others like this

#7127 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:27 AM

Milnes Landing Store remembering Hamburgers and Ice Cream and Candy and Post Office; and a rose bush that always bloomed brilliantly beside a ''you are here sign''. Rebuilt in 2000 now home to the extremely popular Teriyaki House, Sooke Sweet and Pop Shoppe where you can still get British crisps and Sweets (while they last) and Grace Sushi where you can get your spicy chopped scallop roll fix. Located 38 km west of Victoria; Sooke's popularity as a scenic tourist destination has existed for generations. Built up over the years, this vibrant community is one of the fastest growing in British Columbia with a unique blend of families and international migrants that now call Sooke their home. Building is on corner of one of the main arteries into and out of the town. Traffic is constant with the Edward Milne Community School and Fred Milne Sports Park located adjacent to property. Sooke is a seaside community with forward thinking planners looking to the future residents and what their needs will be.

https://www.realtor....oke-sooke-river

$2,800,000

6250 Sooke Rd

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 January 2022 - 06:28 AM.

#7128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:43 AM

Patio Gardens

Excellent opportunity to purchase a property with a very profitable popular garden center business and gift shop. This 6.37 acre property has 2 homes that have their own suite. Unique opportunity to be self employed and work & live from home, and run a business that covers the investment. The front house is a 3BDRM rancher with a basement, the other house has 4BDRM's and is at the back of the property and overlooks a pond in a private setting with great views. The garden center is called Patio Gardens, and is extremely successful. The Gift shop is also a busy and successful addition that has a workshop attached to it that has been used for teaching classes and could also be for a farmers market. The warehouse is 2700Sq ft has a large walk in cooler and loading dock attached, the total square footage of the greenhouses is approx. 13,600 Sq. Additionally the property has a barn, a workshop, and partially fenced pasture. You can visit the business website. 

https://www.realtor....nich-saanichton

$2,899,000

891953_9.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 January 2022 - 11:45 AM.

#7129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:14 AM

Monk’s has purchased Island Blue:

We are excited to announce Monk Office’s purchase of Island Blue Art & Framing stores in Victoria and Sidney!

Island Blue Print was founded in 1912 with a focus on map drafting, blueprint services and the sale of drafting supplies. For the past 55 years, Greater Victoria has fondly known it to be a locally owned and operated printing, art supplies and framing business by the Shemilt Family. Monk honours this purchase as an exciting new chapter, while keeping the longstanding and respected Island-based Shemilt family legacy alive.

All of Monk Office offers a sincere thank you to the Shemilt Family, for entrusting us with Island Blue Art & Framing’s next chapter. As to you, their loyal customers, who we are also considering as Island Blue and Monk Office continue to merge. For those of you visiting us in store over the next few weeks — thank you for your patience as we navigate transferring to a new payment system. Our team members are working hard to ensure an easy and seamless transition for customers.

Both Monk Office and Island Blue are proudly local, serving Victoria and surrounding areas since 1951 and 1912 respectively. As we maneuver this exciting merger of two recognizable local brands, Monk Office is committed to continuing to honour the Island Blue way.

Sincerely,
Caitlin McKenzie
President & CEO, Monk Office

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:17 AM

Since Monk will be losing its Blanshard & Fort location for the Montrose hotel development, I wonder if they will consolidate at the Island Blue site at Quadra & Fort in the near future?

#7131 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:18 AM

Nice way of saying Island Blue is toast.

• Nparker likes this

#7132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:23 AM

Seems like a good fit.

#7133 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:29 AM

Monk’s bought the art store, while Island Blue’s printing business was bought by Rolex (who also bought FotoPrint a few years back).
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#7134 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:29 PM

Since Monk will be losing its Blanshard & Fort location for the Montrose hotel development, I wonder if they will consolidate at the Island Blue site at Quadra & Fort in the near future?

Rob Shemilt confirmed Monk is retaining all 13 staff on the art side of the business and Rolex Printing is keeping the 23 on the printing side.

McKenzie said Island Blue will continue operating. She said Monk will move into the Island Blue location on Fort Street, likely in late 2023, as its downtown Victoria location at Fort and Blanshard will soon be part of a major hotel and office project by Merchant House Capital.

Monk will keep the Island Blue brand and branch into the art supplies business, with “curated spaces” for artists and their needs in all of its stores, said McKenzie. The store in Sidney will remain open, depending on lease agreements, she said.

https://www.timescol...mpanies-4945506

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2022 - 08:30 PM.

#7135 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:42 PM

We order a lot from Amazon and 1-3 weeks delivery is normal now. Used to be 2 days on most items we buy.

I'm confident Jeff Bezos and China, appreciate your business.

jbw

• Matt R. likes this

#7136 mdb1983

mdb1983
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 03:53 PM

Good News, it looks like Golden City isn't going to close down. A friend told me that the original owners of this restaurant bought it back from the previous owners who gave up on it and now they want to keep it open since it's been in victoria for a long time and were bringing back the good chefs they had back in the day.

I guess that's good news. Hopefully original management can bring it back to its glory days

• Mike K., Nparker, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

#7137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 03:27 AM

Supermarket theft rising, shoplifters more aggressive, warns grocery industry

Experts say thefts have become more brazen in recent months, reasons unclear

https://www.terraces...ocery-industry/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2022 - 03:27 AM.

#7138 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 07:07 AM

Reasons unclear? That’s hogwash! It’s the lack of enforcement, and the absence of repercussions on the few occasions when they get arrested.
  • Nparker and Vin like this

#7139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:13 AM

After 32 years, Victoria-based sports business has new owners
After 50 years in the ski-shop business, the last 32 on the ski retail and sports rental side, Bill Tinney is hitting the slopes whenever the spirit moves him. The same goes for Sarah Tinney, his wife and business partner.

#7140 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 05:31 PM

Looks like Fig deli, according to my source.  Maybe another $50k for inventory?

"**Reduced to $99,000 in order to facilitate a sale before the end of the year.**

The owner earns well in excess of a $100,000 per year and the business requires limited staff!

This Fine Foods and Deli has been a proud community member for nearly a decade."

https://canada.busin...R4im8cbO0-OeULk

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users