* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8292 replies to this topic

#7081 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:34 PM

My husband spoke to the Limey lady and he said the shop is across from Capital Iron in that new condo that looks rusty, lol. 

#7082 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:41 PM

Your husband might be correct!  I had seen a photo on Facebook that had a Douglas Street label on it but other sources say Chatham Street.

My husband spoke to the Limey lady and he said the shop is across from Capital Iron in that new condo that looks rusty, lol. 

#7083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:10 AM

I think this is a misguided effort.

Greater Victoria chamber is paying for free local delivery for purchases from its members

Buy something from a business belonging to the chamber and another chamber member, Maximum Express Courier and Freight, will deliver it within the capital region.

Starting immediately, the chamber will pay to deliver goods bought from a chamber retail shop and delivered by Maximum Express Courier and Freight. The locally owned delivery company helped develop the initiative within the chamber’s budget.

Other delivery services are being approached to see if they want to participate.

A quick read of the Chamber member list shows only about 50 retailers are members.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2021 - 06:15 AM.

#7084 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:09 AM

I suspect that a fair number of businesses are in real trouble. 

#7085 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:49 AM

That's some innovative marketing.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#7086 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:43 PM

As someone who goes downtown every day, it seems to be getting “better.” I mean, when Covid hit, it was a circus. Really quite shocking, I was afraid to go down there. Since august, I’ve been walking to work. Yes, I see the odd “thing” but for the most part, there’s definitely some vibrancy there. We still have further to go but I’m seeing some changes. I think it’s a matter of getting treatment for those folks who are very unwell. I see some light at the end of the tunnel, maybe I’m too optimistic but it’s just what im seeing
  • Darren14 likes this

#7087 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:05 PM

I've been downtown a couple of times lately, but I refuse to use the city parkades as I have no idea how long I'll be. I try and get dropped off. My only complaint was some lady constantly spitting on the ground while I was waiting to cross the street. I tried to keep my wits about me though. 

#7088 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:27 PM

Last few times we drove down Pandora it actually seemed to be getting worse again.

• Nparker likes this

#7089 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

/\      Were the homeless/street folk not prohibited from setting up tents and camping on that strip either last year or in 2019? And did VicPD and/or the city not expend considerable time and energy in cleaning up that area? We checked out the Pandora Save On Foods just a few weeks ago because Mrs ASE works downtown and unless I was dreaming I'm pretty certain I saw several tents and what looked like the start of some 'tent clusters'....

• Barrrister likes this

#7090 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:35 AM

That's some innovative marketing.

It's a bit odd, right?  

Take your bricks and mortar strengths:

• Instant on-sight purchase, no waiting
  • Store atmosphere and seasonal and decorations
  • Touching, feeling, trying, testing, asking advice
  • Purchasing add-ons or other impulse buys while customer is there
  • Face to face interaction, the ability to honestly compliment and thank your customer in person
  • Re-affirming your return policy and instructions 

Then just throw those advantages out the window for some small portion of customers by incenting online and/or delivery options.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 November 2021 - 04:36 AM.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#7091 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:09 AM

/\ Were the homeless/street folk not prohibited from setting up tents and camping on that strip either last year or in 2019? And did VicPD and/or the city not expend considerable time and energy in cleaning up that area? We checked out the Pandora Save On Foods just a few weeks ago because Mrs ASE works downtown and unless I was dreaming I'm pretty certain I saw several tents and what looked like the start of some 'tent clusters'....

I also see several people sleeping in doorways of closed up shops downtown, and still some in BHP. So now we have them in parks, and on the streets downtown and vicinity.

#7092 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

...So now we have them in parks, and on the streets downtown and vicinity.

Nice to see things getting back to normal. /s

#7093 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:37 AM

Wendy Graham has tried retirement before, but this time she means it.

Graham, who has been a force in the retail industry in Greater Victoria, will close Sunday’s Snowflakes women’s fashion boutique for good on Dec. 1, 40 years after first opening the fashion destination.

“I’m not a young woman anymore, although I feel young,” said the 77-year-old Graham, who noted with the COVID pandemic dragging on and the recent retirement of a key staff member it felt like the right time to close shop. “That kind of sealed the deal.”

Graham tried out the retirement gig 10 years ago when she shut down the large Sunday’s Snowflakes store at the corner of Douglas and Broughton streets downtown. At that point the plan was to maintain a small boutique at Mattick’s Farm and take more time for travelling and taking it easy.

However, she also opened and eventually closed two other women’s clothing stores — Curves Lingerie and Something More.

This time there is to be no return to the retail landscape.

Graham said she has decided to shut down rather than sell the boutique.

https://www.timescol...is-time-4805047

#7094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:29 AM

Where is Sunday’s Snowflakes, anyways?

I do love the humour of how long-standing business names can be impacted by social changes. Like snowflake. And now, omicron, the new COVID strain that shares a name with a large real-estate development firm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7095 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:16 AM

Maybe it's time to retire Greek alphabet names for businesses and corporations.

#7096 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:28 PM

Rather odd, backhanded kind of article on the CHEK website, superficially about Limey:

Opinion: Victoria – not so much a slice of England

December 7, 2021

by Ian Haysom

A new store, Limey, has just opened across the street from Capital Iron downtown, and it’s full of English food like Marmite, Hobnobs cookies and Yorkshire Tea, and plenty of English candy, including Cadbury Christmas selections.

They’re still bringing more stuff in and there’s a blackboard where you can write a product you’d like them to bring over. The board is jam-packed with requests. In my case, Schweppes diet bitter lemon, a drink that still evokes happy memories and puckered lips. You can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the boy, as they say.

I found it somewhat strange that a store selling exclusively British fare would find a market in Victoria, a city that is becoming more cosmopolitan and less the twee English stereotype with every passing day.

#7097 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:36 AM

We'll be going to the new shop for cake things once they arrive. And probably some candy. We used to go to the British Sweet Shop on Yates years ago, esp. at Christmas for stocking stuffers. My husband loves English wine gums!

• Nparker likes this

#7098 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

We have shops that sell Thai food, Jamaican specialties and also Korean shops, Why would anyone be surprised about a British shop? Do they think there are less people with a Brit background than the other groups? 

The author of that article must be a little brain dead or has had his thinking affected by the woken dead.

• Nparker likes this

#7099 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

My husband loves English wine gums!

So does your husband's dentist!

• Nparker likes this

#7100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:48 AM

We have shops that sell Thai food, Jamaican specialties and also Korean shops, Why would anyone be surprised about a British shop? Do they think there are less people with a Brit background than the other groups? 

The author of that article must be a little brain dead or has had his thinking affected by the woken dead.

And Scandinavian, Ukrainian, Indian and Middle Eastern specialties as well. In fact pretty much every ethnic group is covered and if we looked at it per capita by ethnicity probably all have better representation than the UK.!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

2000larry