Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8285 replies to this topic

#7441 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:15 AM

That coffee shop is quite visible and has a unique outdoor space that likely can’t be replicated nearby with another space.

So I think it has some value just in saying “I’ve got the best spot near here and nobody can knock me off”.

And it has been there for many years so presumably it’s mostly profitable.
  • dasmo likes this

#7442 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:56 AM

I am not sure about buying anything in the City of Victoria these days. Too unpredictable and possibly erratic.

#7443 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:22 AM

That coffee shop is quite visible and has a unique outdoor space that likely can’t be replicated nearby with another space.

So I think it has some value just in saying “I’ve got the best spot near here and nobody can knock me off”.

And it has been there for many years so presumably it’s mostly profitable.

Is it profitable above providing the owner with an income?

That space definitely needs a re-do - it looks very tired. Frankly it looks to me like the current business owner hasn't done a very good job with that spot.

If I was interested in a similar business in that spot, I would approach the property owner first, rather than the business owner. Maybe the current business owner's lease is up soon. 

• Matt R., Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#7444 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:05 PM

Must be tough to sell a business with only a short time remaining on the lease!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7445 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 03:38 PM

Mastercard Inc. is facing pushback from retailers over a new product that allows customers to pay off their purchases in installments.

The payments giant has begun telling merchants and their banks that it will charge retailers 3% of a purchase price each time a consumer opts to use the new program, according to people familiar with the matter. Retailers will be automatically enrolled for Mastercard’s new buy-now, pay-later service, though they will have a chance to opt out.

It did seem odd these new stand-alone pay later startups were moving into this space.

https://www.bloomber...llment-payments

Even more odd trust credit cards are the original “buy now, pay late” providers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 03:41 PM.

#7446 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:18 AM

Businesses have every right not to accept credit cards as a form of payment if they choose yet they seem to always be complaining about how much it costs and want the Feds to fight their battles for them.

I would think that the bigger issue is that Canadians have record debt loads and yet here is another way of making it easy to incur more debt.

• sdwright.vic and Victoria Watcher like this

#7447 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:41 PM

A well-established and well profitable franchise daycare in Victoria, BC with great reviews and many royal customers. It has a great students base and being taken care by a team of professionals. The boss don't have to involve in the direct daily management. Over 13000 SQF indoor space and a large outdoor space. Long term lease available with reasonable rent. Don't miss this great investment opportunity. 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

$2,680,000

• Matt R. likes this

#7448 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 06:56 AM

Is this where William and Kate send their children?
  • Redd42 likes this

#7449 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:02 AM

A well-established and well profitable franchise daycare in Victoria, BC with great reviews and many royal customers. It has a great students base and being taken care by a team of professionals. The boss don't have to involve in the direct daily management. Over 13000 SQF indoor space and a large outdoor space. Long term lease available with reasonable rent. Don't miss this great investment opportunity. 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

$2,680,000

Great deal until the Feds start mandating what you can charge and who you must take in as customers!

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#7450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:08 AM

This story is interesting.

Building supply firm that embraces new and used expanding to Cobble Hill

https://www.timescol...le-hill-5706357

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 05:09 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#7451 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:15 AM

Hudson's Bay to resurrect discount retail chain Zellers

https://www.cbc.ca/n...llers-1.6553473

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 05:16 AM.

#7452 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:23 AM

Hudson's Bay to resurrect discount retail chain Zellers

https://www.cbc.ca/n...llers-1.6553473

Well that is a full circle, kind of. Sell out to Target, Target fails and then open back up.

#7453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:38 AM

Right on target.
  • Kapten Kapsell, Matt R., dasmo and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7454 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:40 AM

I guess HBC is looking for a bullseye with this retro scheme.

#7455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:08 PM

Mastercard Inc. is facing pushback from retailers over a new product that allows customers to pay off their purchases in installments.

The payments giant has begun telling merchants and their banks that it will charge retailers 3% of a purchase price each time a consumer opts to use the new program, according to people familiar with the matter. Retailers will be automatically enrolled for Mastercard’s new buy-now, pay-later service, though they will have a chance to opt out.

It did seem odd these new stand-alone pay later startups were moving into this space.

https://www.bloomber...llment-payments

Even more odd trust credit cards are the original “buy now, pay late” providers.

Visa is taking instalments too.

https://www.visa.ca/...stallments.html

What’s changed is these startups can get instant credit reports automated on their payment plans. Then it’s just the actuary tables on who will pay. If the retailer itself had the tech, they’d do it.

But what is surprising that until pushed, visa and Mastercard never thought this up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 12:09 PM.

#7456 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:08 PM

^ What retailers are upset about is that they used to get a kickback from the financing companies for referring customers, now they will get bypassed and get nothing.

As you pointed out, nothing new at all with the model. 

#7457 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:29 PM

For sure financing was lucrative for all involved on the larger goods. Like appliances or home improvements. Big ticket, and much more likely to be purchased by (more stable) homeowners.

What has changed somewhat is the ability to instantly and automatically check the credit of ANYONE, and offer immediate and automatic financing on even smaller purchasers, to an even wider group, as long as their credit checks out.

#7458 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:39 PM

^ There have been online ways of checking credit scores as part of a purchase workflow for at least 10-15 years now. 

#7459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:41 PM

^ There have been online ways of checking credit scores as part of a purchase workflow for at least 10-15 years now.

Not instantly and absolutely completely automated. Bigger places like The Brick could command quicker responses. But now thousands of companies can submit an enquiry per hour and get results. AI makes sorting partially matching credit profiles match easier too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 02:02 PM.

#7460 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 01:59 PM

Hope it does not miss the mark.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users