* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7761 mdb1983

mdb1983
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 03:57 PM

well i guess it won't be T&T moving downtown but the great canadian superstore. I think this place will compete hard with save on foods and those small grocery stores downtown already but i guess they need more of them in the downtown area. their prices are similar to walmarts

https://www.saanichn...anich-property/

#7762 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 04:13 PM

I am not sure I'd call this project on the Saanich/Victoria border as "downtown".

#7763 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 04:57 PM

well i guess it won't be T&T moving downtown but the great canadian superstore. I think this place will compete hard with save on foods and those small grocery stores downtown already but i guess they need more of them in the downtown area. their prices are similar to walmarts

https://www.saanichn...anich-property/

Word for word copy of Citified's article: https://victoria.cit...rty-in-saanich/

Edit: BP will be issuing a correction in next week's Saanich News.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:58 PM

Looks like Black Press removed their article.

#7765 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:18 PM

Word for word copy of Citified's article: https://victoria.cit...rty-in-saanich/

Remember my pal with the magazine they straight up ripped off? They have no standards.

• Nparker, Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

#7766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:25 PM

Black Press responded, and said their reporter took a news post on Townline’s website to be a press release. Which was never attributed as such in the article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 07:12 PM

...What are the journalism programs teaching these days?

Clearly Canadian journalism needs more government money.

• aastra and Barrrister like this

#7768 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 08:52 PM

What are the journalism programs teaching these days?

Propaganda is truth, politicians are never compromised, and whatever the governments and their corporate partners are saying, it's always the right thing (even if it fully contradicts what they were saying yesterday). Some combination thereof, methinks.

In other words, what they're teaching is pretty much the 180-degree opposite of what any half-decently legitimate journalism program would have been teaching 40 years ago.

• Barrrister likes this

#7769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 10:00 PM

Propaganda is truth, politicians are never compromised, and whatever the governments and their corporate partners are saying, it's always the right thing (even if it fully contradicts what they were saying yesterday)...

A result of 1984 being used as a "how to" manual in the Introduction to 21st Century Journalism seminar at Canadian universities.

• aastra likes this

#7770 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:29 AM

Propaganda is truth, politicians are never compromised, and whatever the governments and their corporate partners are saying, it's always the right thing (even if it fully contradicts what they were saying yesterday). Some combination thereof, methinks.

In other words, what they're teaching is pretty much the 180-degree opposite of what any half-decently legitimate journalism program would have been teaching 40 years ago.

That’s still higher level thinking, to consciously construct a narrative on behalf of some higher power or agenda.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#7771 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:26 AM

Are they going to do a front page correction in the next edition?

#7772 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:37 PM

Olde N Gold jewellery store has moved from its longtime home at the bottom of the Ritz Hotel (SRO) on Fort Street.  Their new location is just up the block in the renovated space that was the longtime home of BC Shaver & Hobbies.

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#7773 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:43 PM

Are they going to do a front page correction in the next edition?

No.

#7774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:12 PM

Olde N Gold jewellery store has moved from its longtime home at the bottom of the Ritz Hotel (SRO) on Fort Street. Their new location is just up the block in the renovated space that was the longtime home of BC Shaver & Hobbies.

Interesting. That’s quite the move for such a short distance.

Know it all.

#7775 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:13 PM

Interesting. That’s quite the move for such a short distance.

New space with a double entry to security....  I don't think a person can walk right in, you walk into kind of a small vestibule to get buzzed in.  newer space too...

Edited by Ismo07, 14 February 2023 - 01:14 PM.

#7776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 08:35 AM

$36,000

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-west

This is a rare opportunity to purchase a well-established optical store that has been in business for 32 years. Ideally located in the ever popular Fairfield Plaza, the business has built up a loyal clientele by providing excellent optical services and high quality products including contacts, frames, lenses and sunglasses etc. This is a wonderful turnkey business with plenty of room for further growth. Inventory is not included in the sale, but can be purchased separately. Contact listing agent for more info. 

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-west

923536_1.jpg

#7777 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:08 PM

I think as far as Asian grocery stores go it would be considered lower tier. Reviews aren't great but prices are low. It will be a destination given its focus so Mayfair is a good spot for it. 

I've been to a couple H-Marts on the mainland. They're pretty good – generally smaller than the T&Ts with more focus on korean products. A lot of them carry a good selection of chinese/japanese/filipino stuff as well and some of them have nice food court areas as well. We'll see what they do with ours. I suspect they'll have a lot of variety here.

I see H-Mart advertises Spam .I’d like to know why it is popular in Asian food stores .  How is it used

Fried spam on rice is an occasional meal around these parts. Spam musubi is delicious as well.

#7778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:43 PM

Nordstrom Inc. says it is winding down its Canadian operations

Nordstrom Inc. says it is winding down its Canadian operations and closing all of its stores in the country.

The company said all of its 2,500 staff in Canada will lose their job.

#7779 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 02:09 PM

I've been to the Nordstrom store in Vancouver twice; the first and the last time and I did it on the same visit.

Edited by Nparker, 02 March 2023 - 02:10 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7780 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:17 PM

That a lot of jobs, wonder if the Bay is the next to go. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users