* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7781 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:00 PM

I imagine that Simons will be very interested in leasing the Nordstrom space at Pacific Centre.

#7782 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:16 PM

Per Global news it sounds like the issue may be at least as much related if not more so to an aggressive activist US investor threatening the Nordstom family so this may be more about them cutting $ losses and improving their overall financial position to retain control than it is about horrible performance by the Canadian stores....

#7783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 09:38 PM

While the chain made many mistakes along the way, retail consultant Bruce Winder says the main one was that Nordstrom simply misjudged the opportunity presented by the Canadian market.

"They probably just overestimated how rich we are and how much we spend on luxury goods," he said in an interview. "We just don't have as many people who would desire that kind of merchandise they needed to break even."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...lysis-1.6767321

That’s likely accurate. The USA is Starbucks, Canada is Tim Hortons. The USA is Target, we are Dollarama.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2023 - 09:38 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#7784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 09:56 PM

...The USA is Target, we are Dollarama.

A lesson Target learned the hard way.

#7785 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 10:50 PM

Had a little bit of time to kill today so ventured into the Market Garden on Catherine.

This store is incredible. Top quality across the board. Lots of fresh and local, Canadian and imported. Selection is just massive, and the place is stuffed to the rafters and looks amazing. Whoever is behind all this is a visionary.

Awesome little mirrored cavern on one side devoted to a wide range of non alcoholic adult beverages.

Meat, cheese, fresh baking from Bond Bond’s and much more. There is no doubt that I will be back soon!
  • LJ, AllseeingEye, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#7786 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:29 AM

It’s a hidden secret. If you want quality, you go there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7787 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:42 AM

If you feel poorer it is because you are.

• Matt R. likes this

#7788 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 10:35 AM

Had a little bit of time to kill today so ventured into the Market Garden on Catherine.

This store is incredible. Top quality across the board. Lots of fresh and local, Canadian and imported. Selection is just massive, and the place is stuffed to the rafters and looks amazing. Whoever is behind all this is a visionary.

Awesome little mirrored cavern on one side devoted to a wide range of non alcoholic adult beverages.

Meat, cheese, fresh baking from Bond Bond’s and much more. There is no doubt that I will be back soon!

I love that place, they even have a piano player on Saturday. Prices aren’t too crazy considering the caliber of their products. Produce can be hit or miss but everything else is impressive

#7789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

It’s an amazing spot for buying gifts and Christmas presents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7790 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:01 PM

Pretty easy to drop a hundred bucks in there. Next time I am definitely buying the $45 jar of pears! Haha.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7791 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:02 PM

Oh, does anyone know the connection between Sirene chocolates and this place?

#7792 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:10 PM

Pretty easy to drop a hundred bucks in there. Next time I am definitely buying the $45 jar of pears! Haha.

And the best tartar sauce I've ever stumbled upon. Luckily for us these guys are about a 4 minute drive away  :)

#7793 mdb1983

mdb1983
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 12:16 PM

i thought inner harbour optometry was closing down its downtown location to move to another place but fortunately they just opened another location instead all the way down cook street. i would have preferred it if they moved closer to the saanich side but just happy the downtown one is staying

#7794 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 12:54 AM

$3,600,000

942 Hillside Ave

Rare opportunity to purchase an attractive multi-tenanted retail strip mall property in a strong up and coming area just north of the vibrant Quadra Street Village. The property is anchored by two long-term tenants (Susan James and Taco Time). The property may be suitable for 3 different types of purchasers. For an owner / occupier purchaser, there is up to 2,287 SF of vacant space formerly occupied by 2 retail tenancies (Zsa Zsa and Tanlines) that were owned and operated by the current owner of the building. With the flexible C1-QV zoning, this property could be ideal for a wide range of owner / occupiers who would occupy all or a portion of the vacant space. For the investor purchaser, we have several qualified parties interested in leasing all or a portion of the vacant area. For a Developer purchaser, the two existing tenancies can be terminated with notice. Please do not approach staff in existing tenancies.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-hillside

924885_1.jpg

#7795 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 02:52 AM

Walmart’s departure from Portland shines light on rampant property crime

https://www.kptv.com...property-crime/

It’s a problem that’s not secret to many business owners around the Eastport Plaza in Southeast Portland.

FOX 12 spoke to multiple local business owners and they all point to crime as the main reason many are leaving Southeast 82nd Avenue, including Walmart. Though a spokesperson for Walmart told FOX 12 last week there is no single reason for a decision to close a store, other business owners said they’re dealing with similar problems as Walmart: vandalism and shoplifting. Darrel Hanson has owned his muffler shop on Southeast 82nd avenue for nearly four decades. He said he’s watched the surrounding neighborhood decline in recent years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2023 - 02:53 AM.

#7796 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 06:20 AM

BMO Financial Group has signed a deal to acquire the Air Miles rewards program from LoyaltyOne Co., which has gone into bankruptcy protection.

In a press release, Air Miles president Shawn Stewart says the deal will have no impact on the points balances of the program's 10 million customers, or on their ability to use their miles to pay for items.

The transaction is happening because Air Miles' U.S. parent company, LoyaltyOne, is seeking court protection from its creditors in the U.S. and Canada.

In U.S. court filings, LoyaltyOne says it has assets of about $10 million, against liabilities of up to $1 billion.

Air Miles was once one of the biggest names in the loyalty space, but the company has seen its popularity slowly erode in recent years, as more and more retail partners left.

The most recent major blow to Air Miles came last year when Empire Company, which owns the Sobey's and Safeway grocery chains, joined the Scene+ rewards program, founded by Scotiabank and Cineplex.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...miles-1.6774434

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2023 - 06:21 AM.

#7797 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:29 AM

I am going to go to the bank first and then go back and grab me one of those $115 jars of olives.

Olives.jpg

• AllseeingEye, Matt R. and Teardrop like this

#7798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,028 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:31 AM

Olive & lemon, to be fair.

#7799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:43 AM

And the embalming fluid.

Know it all.

#7800 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 07:36 PM

2.7 KG, that's a lot of olives.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users