Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#101 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi all.

I didn't have any particular beers I'd like to see, just different stuff to the norm we get here. To be honest I don't really care for a large majority of the Phillips beer and to see 6 of their beers plus the stuff from Stanley Park (which again is ok at best) just doesn't make me excited. I love the idea of promoting local beers and I understand that the US stuff is pretty pricey but it also separates your pub from the others in town. There are only a few places I'm aware of to get something different, Clives, Spinnakers and Veneto and none of them has the really great pub vibe that GH does.

OSJ I also get the promos and glassware and other stuff you get with local...I was just throwing out my 2cents.

Anyhow happy to be able to join in the conversation.

Cheers!

as for the phillips thing, we have become pretty big phillips bar as we were the 1st account for them and have built a pretty strong friendship.

glad you like the vibe at GH, things will only get better.
keep the questions coming, love the feedback.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#102 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

as for the phillips thing, we have become pretty big phillips bar as we were the 1st account for them and have built a pretty strong friendship.

I for one rank Phillips among my favourite breweries, worldwide. I think the only thing that would make them the perfect Victoria brewery is if they made a "Real Ale" English bitter that you had a hand pump from a cask rather than a keg.

Regardless, I just wanted to say that I'll be very glad to frequent the new Garrick's Head with such a huge variety of draft beers, especially Phillips'. :)

#103 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

We did do the 1st Phillips cask beer, it was last years 10th aniversary beer. it was empty in 42 min.

On the phillips thing, wait till you see the new tap handle they made for me for our new house beer!

#104 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

I can totally respect your relationship with Phillips and it certainly won't change my love of the GH but their beer over the past few years has all started to taste very similar with an overall lack of character. There was a time when I looked forward to almost every new release but that time has passed. Their artwork and certainly their marketing are great but unfortunately they are now much better than the beer being promoted.

One question, when we I be able to come down and see the new place? Very much looking forward to it opening!

#105 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

I for one rank Phillips among my favourite breweries, worldwide. I think the only thing that would make them the perfect Victoria brewery is if they made a "Real Ale" English bitter that you had a hand pump from a cask rather than a keg.

Regardless, I just wanted to say that I'll be very glad to frequent the new Garrick's Head with such a huge variety of draft beers, especially Phillips'. :)

I'm truly not interested in knocking Phillips as I have great respect for the way that company has been built up over the past decade but if they are your favorite brewery in the whole world I would highly recommend broadening your horizons as there really is much better beer available. Just sayin'.

#106 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

little update for people wanting to know.
still waiting on my liquor license, so we just keep plugging away.
the bar is finished, the back bar is finished, we built two very large chalkboards. the one behind the bar between the tv's will be the draught list board, the one off to the side will be for monthly specials.
we got the new kick rail in, starting to hang some things on the walls. Shaw is here today installing cable stuff.

#107 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

That bar-top is gorgeous OSJ!

Can't wait to rest my elbows on it and hoist a pint.

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Oh, ya everything abut that bar is nice, side and top.

How many taps yo got there? 30?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#109 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

The new bar looks fantastic! And all of those taps...Any idea at all on an opening date?

#110 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

44 beer lines, and looks like the process is hetting closer for the license.

#111 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

beer aside I hope that the kitchen will do more than the usual pub grub. and how wheelchair accessible/friendly is the space/washroom?

#112 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

...Shaw is here today installing cable stuff.

Hey OSJ, are you going to have Shaw Exo installed? Free highspeed Wifi is a nice customer perk.

#113 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Hey OSJ, are you going to have Shaw Exo installed? Free highspeed Wifi is a nice customer perk.

no shaw exo, but we do already offer free wifi. have for years.

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yeah the Shaw thing is irritating for those that don't have Shaw. Not really free wifi.

I am going to be there as soon as it opens!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yeah the Shaw thing is irritating for those that don't have Shaw. Not really free wifi.

I'm glad though that many places that have exo also kept their own wifi for customers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

I am going to be there as soon as it opens!

There's nothing stopping Telus from offering the same service.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#117 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Aproval for my expanded liquor primary is in! we will have a capacity of 168 and i'm shooting to open dec.1
I will do my best to run the whole place with my smaller kitchen for the month of dec, then we will close the back part(existing pub) and renovate and dbl the size of my kitchen, refinish the floors, and some other small stuff.
already have my new kitchen equipment, and my chef is pretty happy to have a new bigger kitchen.

#118 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Please keep the wood fireplace!

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Excellent, OSJ.

#120 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

There's nothing stopping Telus from offering the same service.

True but how about just having open wifi so that anyone can use it. Think of the tourists who have no opportunity to use either.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users