Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#6501 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

I never realized the new path in Reeson Park was a wishbone. Who wins if someone breaks off the larger piece?

#6502 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

It's almost overkill, but it looks quite nice, close up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6503 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Are people complaining because the painting isn't happening when they want it to? I think they'll paint when the work is done and painting makes most sense.... Lot's of issues with this project, but the paint schedule is not one of them.

I don't think anyone cares when it gets painted. If they delayed painting in order to get the bridge assembled on schedule then it is fair to ask if they skipped or rushed anything else.

#6504 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

Are people complaining because the painting isn't happening when they want it to? I think they'll paint when the work is done and painting makes most sense.... Lot's of issues with this project, but the paint schedule is not one of them.

You may be missing the point.

It's not about painting the bridge to satisfy "complainers" ... it's about public optics, and at least trying to make an effort to build confidence and support as the bridge opening date approaches (by making it look at least moderately attractive).

Looking at a filthy, rusty, grubby bridge project day after day (as you do today) accomplishes nothing in terms of building bridge support amongst the public.

Discussions about paint and "optics" are a somewhat pointless conversation anyway, and likely worth drawing to a close. The COV and Huggett have never cared about the optics of this project ... which is why it suffers from "lame duck" syndrome even before it's been commissioned.

Personally, I don't care what it looks like.

I will always see it as a 120 million dollar debacle regardless of whether it's grubby and rusty, or shiny and all lit up in blue lights. (although I suppose like everything, constant exposure over the next 10 or 20 years will build a grudging acceptance, as it usually does in these kinds of projects).

• martini and Midnightly like this

#6505 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

So I've teamed up with the good folks at Willie's Bakery to make the last day and first day a bit of an event(s).

Drop on in if you want to meet VHF in person.  We have free commemorative FIRST DAY and LAST DAY postcards for you too.

FIRST DAY

LAST DAY

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6506 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

I sort of wish the opening and closing dates overlaped. so we could wonder the entirety of one bridge while the other is being used for traffic.

#6507 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

On April 1st, Victorians will (finally) say good bye to the old Johnson Street bridge.

As a part of the original contract with PCL Construction, the nearly century old structure will be decommissioned and its parts sold for scrap. However, a local group called My Blue Bridge, is interested in re-purposing the metal and incorporating it into future plans for the city with the support of BRIGHT-YYJ awareness group.

“The initiative aims to highlight the legacy of this structure and the value in salvaging portions of the bridge to be integrated in meaningful ways throughout the urban environment,” they said in a statement.

“As a city with strong historical roots, incorporating valuable aspects of cultural heritage into modern technological and economic advancements is important in shaping the city’s future landscape. At the recent Discover Tectoria conference in Victoria, local tech companies showcased the future potential of the city, which is already experiencing momentous growth.”

http://victoriabuzz....al-in-victoria/

#6508 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I sort of wish the opening and closing dates overlaped. so we could wonder the entirety of one bridge while the other is being used for traffic.

Perhaps there is some possibility of that happening, just for pedestrians. Don’t know.

I’m trying to find out more about any City plans for a celebration.

#6509 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

^We can't afford one
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6510 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

You may be missing the point.

It's not about painting the bridge to satisfy "complainers" ... it's about public optics, and at least trying to make an effort to build confidence and support as the bridge opening date approaches (by making it look at least moderately attractive).

Looking at a filthy, rusty, grubby bridge project day after day (as you do today) accomplishes nothing in terms of building bridge support amongst the public.

Discussions about paint and "optics" are a somewhat pointless conversation anyway, and likely worth drawing to a close. The COV and Huggett have never cared about the optics of this project ... which is why it suffers from "lame duck" syndrome even before it's been commissioned.

Personally, I don't care what it looks like.

I will always see it as a 120 million dollar debacle regardless of whether it's grubby and rusty, or shiny and all lit up in blue lights. (although I suppose like everything, constant exposure over the next 10 or 20 years will build a grudging acceptance, as it usually does in these kinds of projects).

So how many more thousands of dollars would you like to see spent (wasted!) on an interim painting job? The best "optics" they can achieve is getting the bridge finished ASAP without any further budget increases.

Edited by TallGuy, 09 March 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#6511 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

IMG_9845.JPG

IMG_9844.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

• todd likes this

#6512 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

Man, that's an ugly eye sore.

#6513 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Why didn't you come say hi? https://youtu.be/5Uwco25w1nc

#6514 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

It looks like closing and opening will be the same day, March 31st, with maybe 5 hours of no bridges (12-5).

City of Victoria announces opening day of new bridge

#6515 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

We are delighted to host Doug Clement Photography - and Doug himself - at Willie's Cafe & Bakery - at the foot of Johnson Street - on Saturday, March 31st. 10am to 4pm.

✪ FREE postcard - First of all, drop in and say hi - when you come, you will get a free custom LAST or FIRST day Johnson Street Bridge postcard, commemorating the last day of Ol' Blue or the first day of the new bridge, happening on the very same day. Doug's photography is on the LAST day postcard.

MORE / RSVP / invite friends: https://www.facebook...03563630105913/

✪ View, buy or order Doug Clement prints. Doug will be on hand with a variety of his work, in print form for you to purchase in various sizes. Or just chat with Doug about his photography. It's FREE to attend, just drop in.

MORE / RSVP / invite friends: https://www.facebook...03563630105913/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 March 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#6516 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

It looks like closing and opening will be the same day, March 31st, with maybe 5 hours of no bridges (12-5).

City of Victoria announces opening day of new bridge

I am impressed. The City has 'guaranteed' that the engineers are going to sign off on the bridge next week. Why even bother with the formalities then?

#6517 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

So I've teamed up with the good folks at Willie's Bakery to make the last day and first day a bit of an event(s).

Drop on in if you want to meet VHF in person.  We have free commemorative FIRST DAY and LAST DAY postcards for you too.

FIRST DAY

LAST DAY

This will be the free "last day" front for the 5"x7" over-size postcard, if you'd like to drop in to Willie's Cafe and Bakery, meet VHF and/or Doug Clement, and take one to go.  10am to 4pm.

Untitled_HDR7m0 (2).jpg

Doug will be on hand to meet and talk to folks, and sell his other artwork if anyone is interested.

FACEBOOK event

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 March 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#6518 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Surprised that we didn't see an NR last week from the City that the bridge had passed it's engineering tests and safety check.

#6519 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

I notice that there is some working going on at the bridge today, Sunday.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6520 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Some updates...

The tent that was over a section of the span was there to enable installation of the special black roadbed surface on Panel D (the insert between the main deck span and bascule span).

40180724964_1b3abbbcd6_k.jpg

More welding and grinding on the area of the ring's upper counterweight covers.

40180731474_c26c40259d_k.jpg

The concrete for the bascule roadbed span has been poured and covered with tarps.  The new surface on Panel D can be seen at the interface to the bascule span just in front of the tarps and appears darker than the main span's surface.

40180723984_0c9d2a872d_k.jpg

They've been testing the bridge gates and associated lights today - and into the night.  The sound made by the gates when down is just like a railroad crossing - a bit of nostalgia?

27019939278_1f956487ad_k.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 18 March 2018 - 07:14 PM.

• Nparker, Danma, johnk and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users