[South Cowichan Valley] Bamberton | 5,000 homes | On-hold

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

That Bamberton project has had an uphill climb from the beginning. :)

#62 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Three Point is still actively involved in the Bamberton project building out the commercial properties and waiting for lot inventories from other developers in the area to be depleted somewhat before they go back for another zoning approval.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

The Malahat First Nation has purchased the Bamberton development site from Bamberton Properties LLP for an undisclosed price.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.HzkoMxdn.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

When a FN purchases private land, does that automatically now fall under their jurisdiction, or the district it is in?  The article says that the Malahat FN say they now have full jurisdiction over that land, but somehow, I suspect that isn't really true.

#65 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

When a FN purchases private land, does that automatically now fall under their jurisdiction, or the district it is in?  The article says that the Malahat FN say they now have full jurisdiction over that land, but somehow, I suspect that isn't really true.

I suspect it is. These nations are defined primarily by ancestry rather than geographic boundaries. I could live with the boundaries of a reserve (as I believe many non-aboriginals do) but I cannot be a "citizen".

I think the situation may be different with a signed treaty that makes hard definitions that include geographical boundaries.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#66 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

When a FN purchases a fee-simple title (aka freehold), they get a fee-simple title, same as anyone else.

Edited by phx, 17 July 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#67 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

FN can add land to their reserves: https://www.aadnc-aa...8/1332267748447

#68 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

The FN should develop a massive grow op on the reserve. Without the overhead and costs of Health Canada they can undercut all of the licensed suppliers and any excess product can be sold through the shops in Victoria and Vancouver. The FN could make tens of millions of dollars.

#69 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

Now Spanky, don't go causing trouble.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

The province says it is “taking action to advance treaty negotiations with Malahat Nation” with the purchase of private land on southern Vancouver Island.

The purchase of 230 hectares of land for $9 million about 40 kilometres north of Victoria is intended to become part of the Malahat Nation’s treaty lands when negotiations are done and the treaty takes effect.

https://www.cheknews...-nation-424628/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

Press release:

malahat.jpeg

Land purchase advances Malahat Nation toward treaty

https://news.gov.bc....8IRR0004-000312

British Columbia is taking action to advance treaty negotiations with Malahat Nation through the purchase of private land.

The Province has purchased approximately 230 hectares for $9 million on southern Vancouver Island, which is intended to become part of Malahat Nation’s treaty lands when a treaty is concluded and comes into effect.

The land is within the Malahat Lands, formerly known as Bamberton, located about 40 kilometres north of Victoria. Malahat Nation has renamed the site Malahat Lands to reflect the First Nation’s ownership and a new beginning for the property.

“Our government is committed to making meaningful progress on treaties and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. This land purchase is a tangible demonstration of how the Province is doing things differently and taking an approach with Indigenous communities, based on partnership, respect and recognition of rights,” said Scott Fraser, Minister of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation. “We’ll see the benefits of this investment in Malahat Nation as we complete and implement a treaty, and as the nation develops its lands in ways that create jobs and support the economic, social and cultural needs of its people. When a First Nation prospers, its neighbours prosper.”

“Malahat Nation is working hard to build a strong, lasting government that will provide a sustainable economy, bettering families and focusing on our children to come. The treaty land acquisition will triple our land base and better enable us to provide this,” said Malahat Nation Councillor Matt Harry.

“The B.C. treaty staff involved were extremely energetic, dedicated and innovative in the way they worked with Malahat Nation and the Malahat Investment Corporation (MICO). MICO is extremely appreciative of B.C.'s leadership and commitment to Malahat Nation, and we look forward to continuing that partnership going forward,” said Alan Lolacher, director of MICO.

“The lands return to our nation is symbiotic with the positive development that will happen in our future," said Malahat Nation Councillor George Harry.

B.C. and Canada are in treaty Final Agreement negotiations with Malahat Nation in a region of B.C. with a scarcity of Crown land available for treaties. The provincial land purchase is one of the many ways the Province is advancing treaty negotiations and achieving comprehensive reconciliation with Indigenous communities.

Treaties are a powerful path to comprehensive reconciliation for those First Nations communities choosing to enter negotiations. Treaty First Nations have increased opportunities for participating in the economy, lawmaking authority and clear jurisdiction over lands, resources and the health and social well-being of their citizens.

Quick Facts:

- Malahat Nation is located on the western shore of Saanich Inlet, south of Mill Bay, and has approximately 340 members.
- Malahat Nation, B.C. and Canada are currently in treaty Final Agreement negotiations.
- Malahat Nation and B.C. have signed an Incremental Treaty Agreement, which provided for 184 hectares of land in two parcels. Malahat Nation and B.C. have also signed a number of agreements related to forestry.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

So what, are they going to build on it?

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

They have 340 members, they need some room.

#74 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 05:26 AM

Bamberton industry threatens the inlet

With no environmental studies and very limited information to the public, the industrial operations at Bamberton are poised to increase exponentially. The fragile Saanich Inlet is under serious threat.

The planned quarry expansion will result in a crater that rivals the top end of Texada Island as part of the sacred Malahat mountain at Bamberton is clearcut, blasted, crushed and barged away over the next 40 years.

The Malahat Nation also is applying to expand the foreshore lease for use in loading and unloading contaminated soils.

A mountain of toxic soil no one else wants is growing on Bamberton lands above John Creek, which drains through Bamberton Provincial Park.

The damage to Saanich Inlet from the leaching poisons from this dirt heap will be irreversible. By the time the mess is assessed, the lease holders will have taken the money and run, leaving the taxpayer to pay for the cleanup.

The health of the salmon, eagles, transient whales and the thousands of people who live in the area is at risk.

Please speak out, call your MLA, call the Environment Ministry, help stop this travesty.

John Porter

Willis Point

Bamberton projects are a test for Eby

Saanich Inlet is an ecological jewel that must be protected for future generations. It is a candidate for a federal marine protected area.

However, the establishment of a contaminated soil dump and a fourfold expansion of the quarry at Bamberton are completely at odds with this reality. Surely there is a way of providing economic development at this location without polluting the inlet and damaging the environment.

The new Eby government needs to show where it stands.

Jean Grant

Willis Point

https://www.timescol...dshield-6048029

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 November 2022 - 05:27 AM.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 06:07 AM

The proposed changes are many times larger than the threshold for a provincial environmental review.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 06:14 AM

But as with many things, this one is intertwined with politics and of course Indigenous self-determination, that colours this very different from a regular proposal.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 November 2022 - 06:15 AM.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 06:21 AM

Indeed.

Now we sit back and watch.

Know it all.

#78 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 06:40 AM

Malahat Nation is something else. I’ve done a bit of business with them and their leadership is extremely forward thinking- and moving, from what I’ve seen. Very aggressive.

There’s nothing they won’t take on. They might seem to change their plans every few months, but they do get a lot accomplished in the end.

https://malahatnatio...ate-march-2022/
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#79 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 07:58 AM

There's also nothing like a First Nation business entity as a comparable. These guys are effectively a government within a government, but running a complex structure of corporations and not-for-profits where required-- they can do whatever they like on their own lands, but they can also secure government funding to pursue projects anywhere else. This is a Nation to keep an eye on. 

Ostensibly their Economic Development arm is there to financially support the few hundred members of the Nation. But with marinas, the skywalk, business park, housing developments, mines, etc. in operation-- at some point this thing takes on a life of its own. Would be interesting to see the governance structure of the whole enterprise. These things often have non-member leadership (ie White Business Guys) on the business side of things. 

Edited by max.bravo, 03 November 2022 - 07:58 AM.

#80 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 08:05 AM

Malahat Nation is something else. I’ve done a bit of business with them and their leadership is extremely forward thinking- and moving, from what I’ve seen. Very aggressive.

There’s nothing they won’t take on. They might seem to change their plans every few months, but they do get a lot accomplished in the end.

https://malahatnatio...ate-march-2022/

Agreed, when visionary and determined people are in the right place and time its amazing what can be accomplished. While working for a Vancouver consulting firm I did an IT gig in 2000-01 with the Siksika (Sik-si-ga) Nation in Alberta and even then they had a vision for an online FN portal - when the term was barely a blip on anyone's radar - for not only the nation but for all FN's across Canada and eventually encompassing bands in the US. 

Today they have a holding corporation with businesses in everything from Retail, Agri-business, Construction and Energy, Hospitality and Commercial Real Estate.

Surprised though that the Malahat are considering pursuing this particular project given that unique and sensitive marine ecosystem sits literally at their front door. One wonders how that squares with various FN claims to being "stewards of the land". It'll be interesting to see how or if the NDP engages with this proposal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)